Woman threatens to kill Las Vegas cop, kicks and spits at the officer, slips out of handcuffs twice


LAS VEGAS, NV- According to authorities, a woman has been accused of threatening a Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) officer with death and during her arrest, slipped out of the handcuffs twice.

Reportedly, officers arrested 24-year-old Ashton Cabrales at an apartment on Algonquin Drive near Flamingo Road and Maryland Parkway around 3 a.m. on Monday, July 12th.

The arrest report stated that an officer put Cabrales in handcuffs and into his patrol vehicle, but that she was able to get out of the handcuffs and attempted to break a window. The officer proceeded to take Cabrales out of the vehicle where he then placed the handcuffs back on the woman.

The report also stated that during that process, Cabrales resisted the officer and a sergeant who was assisting in the incident. The report added that the woman was kicking and spitting at the officer and sergeant. 

The officer and sergeant were able to placed Cabrales in the patrol vehicle a second time. However, soon after, she again slipped out of the handcuffs. The report stated that while officers tried to place her in handcuffs for the third time, the woman yelled racial slurs, telling one officer:

“She was going to find his house and kill him and his family.”

The report added that the woman said:

“She can’t wait for the judge to release her after court so she could get the best of him.”

Authorities said that while on the way to the Clark County Detention Center, Cabrales purposely slammed her head against the partition in the cruiser, causing injuries to her face. Once at the jail, nurses informed police that the woman would need to be taken to the hospital due to her injuries.

The report stated that on her way to the hospital, Cabrales continued to slam her ace against the glass. According to authorities, Cabrales faces charges of battery on a protected person, intimidating a public officer, resisting a public officer, battery, and domestic battery. She is being held without bail.

In a separate incident, a woman has been arrested for a possible hate crime after she reportedly hit a 6-year-old child who was with his parents on the Las Vegas Strip. According to the arrest report, police responded to a battery call on July 5th at The Shops at Crystals.

The father of the the child told police that he was talking with his wife and two children when a woman hit his child in the back of his head, reportedly yelling, “coronavirus was all your fault.”

The wife started recording the woman, since identified as 57-year-old Shelly Ann Hill, as she was yelling and walking away from the family of four. At that time, the parents stated they did not want to press charges.

A few days later, on July 7th, a detective contacted the mother who sent him the video of Hill yelling at the family. The detective also viewed a video of the incident that was captured by a surveillance camera in the area.

The police were able to identify Hill and on July 10th, took her into custody. During a police interview, Hill denied that she hit the child. However, she did tell police that a woman filmed her and threatened to kill her.

The child was not injured. The child’s mother posted a video of Hill screaming at the family on TikTok. The video went viral and has been like over 153,00o times. 

Hill is being held at the Clark County Detention Center. She is facing three charges, hate crime, battery, and child abuse or neglect. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. on July 27th.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Man, 33, arrested for kidnapping and sexual assault of 71-year-old woman

July 5th, 2021

HONOLULU, HI – A 33-year-old man was charged with five counts of first-degree sexual assault, one count of kidnapping and one count of first-degree burglary in connection with an alleged sexual assault of a 71-year-old woman that happened at the victim’s apartment back in June.

Prosecutors say that the suspect, identified as Bronson Baruz, went to the Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Phillips Street Elderly Housing Complex in late June and knocked on the victim’s apartment door.

When the victim opened her front door, Baruz reportedly forced his way into the residence and sexually assaulted the victim. Baruz was arrested on June 25th, with his bail being set at $250,000.

Bronson Baruz - Honolulu Police
Bronson Baruz – Honolulu Police

Honolulu Prosecuting Attorney Steve Alm provided the following statement regarding the case:

“We will not tolerate violent and dangerous intrusions into the homes of our kupuna. I thank the Honolulu Police Department for their efforts to investigate and arrest the suspect in this case.”

Prosecutors are reportedly seeking the maximum possible sentence, which a conviction of a single count of first-degree sexual assault carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.

In other cases from Honolulu, police earlier in June had a relatively busy two-day period with regard to traffic enforcement – reportedly arrested 14 along the H-3 Freeway and issuing 95 citations. 

The Honolulu Police Department was said to have made the arrests and citations along the H-3 Freeway in Districts 3 and 5 between June 18th and 19th. 

Reportedly, 14 people were arrested under suspicion of a variety of offenses that included excessive speeding, racing, reckless driving, operating a vehicle under the influence of an intoxicant and driving without a license.

The 95 citations issued during that two-day period were primarily related to speeding. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Law Enforcement Today reported back in June about three Honolulu Police officers being indicted in connection to a fatal shooting of a juvenile suspect that occurred back in April. 

Apparently, these charges were brought even after a grand jury decided to not charge the officers. 

Here’s that previous report. 


HONOLULU, HI – Three Honolulu Police officers have been charged in connection with the fatal shooting of a 16-year-old suspect that occurred back in April, with the prosecutor bringing the charges after a grand jury refused to indict the officers

Reportedly one officer has been charged with murder, while two have been charged with attempted murder regarding the incident. 

On April 5th at approximately 4:42 p.m., Honolulu Police officers had come across a white Honda Civic at Kawaikui Beach in East Honolulu that had been reportedly stolen days earlier. 

According to reports, the vehicle had also been allegedly used in a series of offenses as well, such as armed robbery, theft and a purse snatching. 

Police attempted to pull the vehicle over, but the driver fled and a brief pursuit began from there. 

Roughly 10 minutes into the pursuit, police were able to maneuver their cruisers to box the Honda in at a red light.

Officer Zackary Ah Nee was said to have pulled his vehicle in front of the Honda, while a second cruiser hosting Officer Geoffrey Thom and Officer Christopher Fredeluces pulled up near the driver’s side door of the Honda. 

A third police vehicle then pulled up to the rear of the suspect’s vehicle. 

When Officers Thom and Fredeluces exited their cruiser, two occupants inside of the suspect’s vehicle were said to have jumped out of the Honda and fled on foot. 

However, the driver, identified as 16-year-old Iremamber Sykap, and his brother, 18-year-old Mark Sykap, were still inside of the vehicle. 

Charging documents allege that Officer Fredeluces drew his sidearm and was aiming it at the vehicle, as well as Officer Thom.

While the two officers were drawing down on the vehicle, prosecutors allege that Officer Ah Nee approached the driver’s side door and tried to open it.

However, the door was locked. 

Prosecutors allege that without provocation thereafter, Officer Thom fired 10 shots into the back of the vehicle, which 8 of the rounds struck Iremamber Sykap.

Officer Fredeluces was also said to have fired a single round at the vehicle during this time, but said round didn’t strike any suspect inside the car. 

According to the criminal complaint, the gunfire striking Iremamber Sykap was spread from his head, neck and back: 

“The gunshot wound to the back of the head fractured Iremamber’s skull and entered his brain. One of the two shots to the back of Iremamber’s neck fractured his spine.

One of the four gunshot wounds to Iremamber’s back lacerated his aorta — a through-and-through fatal wound. Iremamber also suffered extreme internal bleeding due to gunshot wounds to his left lung.”

The Honda was still in drive at this point and it began to roll toward one of the cruisers, which allegedly prompted Officer Ah Nee to open fire and non-fatally strike Mark Sykap twice. 

Reportedly Officer Ah Nee told investigators following the incident that he thought he’d seen the “butt of a firearm,” on Mark Sykap’s lap when he opened fire. 

However, prosecutors say that bodycam footage (which has not been released to the public) showed what appeared to be a “thin square object,” on Mark Sykap’s lap. 

What’s most curious about the case is that, earlier in June, a grand jury had decided to not indict the officers involved in the incident – yet, prosecutors still moved forward with charges. 

Officer Thom was charged with second-degree murder, while Officers Ah Nee and Fredeluces were charged with second-degree attempted murder. All three officers face up to 20 years in prison without the possibility of parole. 

HPD Chief Rade Vanic made the following statement regarding the charges: 

“We are surprised by the Prosecuting Attorney’s announcement to seek charges against the officers after a grand jury comprised of citizens decided not to indict them.

This is highly unusual, and we are not aware of a similar action having been taken in the past. While we await the court’s decision, we will continue to protect and serve the community as we have always done.”

The president of the local police union, Malcom Lutu, said in a statement that all they can do is support their officers and “trust the process”:

“We continue to trust the process and will continue to stand by our officers.”

This is a developing story. 

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this case. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In other cases stemming from Honolulu, 40-year-old Travis Rodrigues recently pleaded not guilty to the charge of second-degree murder reportedly after confessing to authorities that he killed his 18-month old daughter back in February. 

Here’s the background on the case that we reported on shortly after his arrest. 


HONOLULU, HI – The Honolulu Police Department have just confirmed the arrest of 40-year-old Travis Rodrigues under suspicion of second-degree murder of his own daughter, 18-month-old Kytana Ancog.

Kytana Ancog was reportedly last seen on January 31st, but officials haven’t confirmed whether they have located the body of the baby girl.

Kytana was reportedly dropped off with her father, Rodrigues, back on January 31st at his Kaulainahee Place home in Aiea.

From then on, both the child and the Rodrigues were not heard from or seen – until authorities announced the arrest of Rodrigues on February 13th.

Police were said to have located Rodrigues during the afternoon of February 13th within the Ko’olina area, and the suspect remains in custody at the Honolulu Police Department headquarters.

While no further details on the criminal investigation have been shared by authorities, it turns out that Rodrigues has a bit if a criminal history – as well as having gone under different aliases before in the past.

According to criminal records, Rodrigues has also previously used the name “Travis Heffelfinger” and has previous convictions from the early 2000s related to terroristic threats, criminal contempt, and third-degree theft.

The terroristic threats convictions related to an incident that occurred back in May of 2001, where Rodrigues found himself sentenced to probation for the two counts he was convicted of.

Back in June of 2002, Rodrigues was also found guilty of contempt of court and was ordered to pay a $100 fine.

Then in March of 2004, Rodrigues was found guilty of third-degree theft, where he was sentenced to a year of probation and 40 hours of community service and subsequent fines.

Additional reports claim that Rodrigues had also served time in federal prison for felony drug and weapons convictions. 

The weapons conviction came from a secret federal indictment from December of 2004, where the government wound up dropping three of five charges related to weapons and methamphetamine distribution.

Rodrigues was said to have pleaded guilty to distribution of five grams or more of methamphetamine and carrying a firearm during and in relation to a drug trafficking offense.

After his release from prison, Rodrigues was said to have violated his parole in 2015, 2016 and 2017 – leading him to being eventually sentenced back to prison for an additional 15 months. 

The grandmother of Kytana, Lisa Mora, spoke with the Honolulu Star-Advertiser on the day Rodrigues was arrested, stating that while she knew little about her daughter’s relationship with Rodrigues, she said that her daughter was apparently afraid of him: 

“From what I learned, she was scared of this guy and doesn’t want to say anything. I just want my granddaughter back.”

“She is a happy, bright, normal child. She is always curious, playing and laughing. She loves music, playing with the dogs. It’s hard because she’s really trusting.”

Officials have not yet shared information on what has led them to believe that 18-month-old Kytana Ancog was murdered.

This is an ongoing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather updates on this case.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts