Woman who provided guns to a cop and firefighter killer wants to be let out of prison ‘because of the virus’


WEBSTER, NY –  On June 6, 2010, Dawn Nguyen purchased two firearms, a semi automatic rifle and a shotgun from a firearms store.  This would be fine as Dawn did not have a criminal record and does not appear to have done anything that would have normally prevented her from owning any type of firearm. 

The problem was, she did not buy the firearms for herself, but rather her neighbor, William Spengler Jr.  Dawn purchased the weapons because he could not legally as he was a convicted murder/manslaughter in 1981 for beating his elderly grandmother to death with a hammer.

William was granted parole from prison in 2006 and came to live in the same neighborhood as Nguyen. 

According to her attorney, Matthew Parrinello:

“This was a quirky, weird, crazy neighbor that she knew. But he was very nice, very kind and he did things for her family.” 

According to Parrinello, Nguyen did not know of Spengler’s past.

However, prosecutors painted a different picture, one in which everyone in the neighborhood knew that he was a convicted felon.  Court records showed that Nguyen received a thousand dollars from Spengler for purchasing the firearms for her. 

If that was not enough of a red flag, even if she did not know that he was a convicted felon, her family referring to him as a crazy person should have been enough to say that no one would have ever put any type of a firearm in his hands. 

However, Nguyen did so, without hesitation.

That decision, on December 24, 2012, assisted in arming someone who had already been convicted and served prison for manslaughter, to conduct an active shooter situation. 

Spengler began by murdering his sister, then, placing himself next to a tree for cover, he set his home on fire. 

Knowing first responders would show up to the house fire, Spengler lay in wait and began firing upon the firefighters and police who arrived on scene to assist. 

Before he could be captured, police returned fire, causing him to retreat. Eventually he killed himself  to avoid being captured. Officers later found a suicide note in which Spengler said that he wanted to do what he did best, kill people.

This incident caused three people to lose their lives: Spengler’s sister, Webster Police Lieutenant and volunteer firefighter Michael Chiapperini and firefighter Tomasz Kaczowka. 

The shooting also wounded Joseph Hofstetter and Ted Scardinoone, both volunteers with the fire department from upstate New York.   

Nguyen was arrested and convicted, both federally and through the state for purchasing the firearms and providing them to a known convicted felon. 

Nguyen should remain in prison until 2021 when she is set to be released. However, despite her known release date, her mother started a petition in 2018 calling for her release from prison.  This release request was denied. 

Since that request was denied, her family apparently has been seeking other ways to get their convicted daughter released from prison.  Now, instead of trying to spread the word that she did not know that purchasing firearms for a convicted murder was wrong, they are looking to the next best thing: COVID-19.

Nguyen has filed court paperwork requesting that she be released from prison early, not because she was innocent or had some type of awakening.  But, rather because she is in fear that living in a prison makes her more susceptible to being exposed and being infected with the disease. 

Something in which the family members of those who lost their lives that day wish they had to be worried about for their loved ones, but, instead, will never see them again. 

It’s not unlikely that she’ll be granted release, as actual cop killers are also getting out early for whatever concerns they claim they have.

A man who was convicted of murdering a police officer back in 1978 was recently granted parole in California, despite being denied on numerous parole hearings previously. Yet, the killer who managed to be denied as recently as 2019 is now slated to walk free after murdering a cop.

Jesus Cecena was 17-years-old at the time when he gunned down the-30-year-old San Diego Police Officer Archie Buggs back on November 4th, 1978.

The crime, as detailed by the San Diego District Attorney’s Office, noted that Cecena shot Officer Buggs four times before delivering one final gunshot at point-blank range.

When Cecena was originally convicted of the crime, he was delivered a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. However, Cecena’s prison sentence was later modified due to him being 17-years-old at the time of the offense, which then left him with a sentence of 7 years to life in prison.

All things considered, Cecena could have seen parole back in the 1980s – but he didn’t.

He was reportedly denied for parole 14 times throughout his prison sentence, with recent denials coming in 2014,2016,2017, and 2019. Every time Cecena was denied, one aspect that was highlighted was the seriousness of the offense committed.

However, this time around he was paroled.

Woman who provided guns to a cop and firefighter killer wants to be let out of prison 'because of the virus'
Jesus Cecena

From what Deputy District Attorney Richard Sachs stated on June 24th, the parole board felt as though that Cecena was somehow no longer a threat. His granted parole was apparently at odds with what the DA’s office wanted, as they recommended that he remain in prison.

DA Sachs’ noted the following about Cecena:

“He hasn’t come to grips with the crime. He doesn’t own the causative factors of this offense. He does not accept his true motivation behind committing this crime.”

Back when Officer Buggs was murdered, he was with his then-partner Officer Jesse Navarro. Apparently, Officer Buggs died in Navarro’s arms after the shooting, when the fallen officer was just one month away from getting married.

Navarro recollected some of the elements revolving around the case and the motivation for murdering his partner:

“It was a planned execution by gang members in the area. They’d been talking about killing a police officer in the area for a number of months.”

Despite the copious amount of parole denials, the egregious nature of the officer’s murder, and the fact that Cecena’s prison record showed that he’d accumulated 10 conduct violations – he’ll now be walking free among the streets.

LET has a private home for those who support emergency responders and veterans called LET Unity.  We reinvest the proceeds into sharing their untold stories. Click to check it out.

Murdered officer's grave desecrated before headstone even placed

Speaking of cases that involve minors involved in murder, a 16-year-old suspect in Washington, D.C. who is accused of killing at least four people in several shooting incidents isn’t going to experience any luxuries of being a minor, as he’s being charged as an adult in relation to the killings.

Furthermore, authorities say that the suspect even shot at someone who used a pregnant woman as a human shield during an incident.

Michael Mason was taken into custody on June 17th, according to police. Police say that the shootings that Mason is alleged to be involved in appear to be gang-related. The 16-year-old in custody is being charged with the murders of 31-year-old Terrance Griffin, 20-year-old Jaszel Henderson, 21-year-old Brea Moon, and 18-year-old Antwuan Roach.

The most troubling case is linked to that of the murder of 21-year-old Brea Moon, who was pregnant at the time that she was murdered. An affidavit related to the incident alleges that in April, Mason fired at a vehicle where Moon was apparently being used as a human shield to protect the intended recipient from gunfire.

Mason claims that it wasn’t him that fired at the vehicle that hosted Moon, but that it was the person driving the vehicle that he was riding in the back of at the time.

However, evidence collected from the scene shows shell casings that seem to have ejected from the car that Mason was in at the time – whereas if the driver had fired a weapon while pointing outside of the passenger-side window, then the shell casings would’ve remained inside their car.

Still, Mason is not the only person charged with Moon’s murder, as police have arrested and charged 19-year-old Daquan Jones in the case as well.

Investigators say that Mason is linked with a gang known as “Simple City,” which is likely a throwback to the Benning Terrace housing projects area since natives have often called that part of town “Simple City.”

FBI officials have been monitoring the gang since 2009, and have already prosecuted major cases against gang leadership in years past.

There are at least nine shootings that police say Mason is linked to as of now, and investigators believe a majority of them relate to an ongoing feud between Simple City members and a rival gang simply known as 37th.

Police are currently offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information that helps the ongoing investigation into the numerous shooting incidents. As of now, Mason has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder, four counts of assault with intent to kill and assault with a dangerous weapon.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts