ABINGDON, Va – Florida authorities have made an arrest in the killer-clown cold case homicide from 27 years ago.

1990 Killer-Clown Homicide

Just after breakfast on a warm May day in 1990, a white convertible Chrysler LeBaron pulled into Marlene Warren’s driveway in Wellington, Fla. Emerging from the car was something you’d find at a child’s birthday party, or the circus.

A clown, wearing an orange wig, with a red bulb nose and a painted-on smile, carried a bouquet of flowers and two balloons. One said, “You’re the greatest!”

The clown offered the flowers and balloons to Warren, witnesses would later recount — then pulled out a gun and shot her in the face.

As Warren fell to the ground, the person in the clown disguise calmly walked back to the Chrysler convertible, according to witnesses, then disappeared for the next 27 years.

“This is the strangest thing I’ve seen in all my 19 years in law enforcement,” Bob Ferrell, a spokesman for the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, told reporters at the time. “As she went to take the flowers and balloons, the clown shot her.”

Woman Arrested Is Accused of Being Killer-Clown

Now, authorities say they have finally apprehended the suspected killer at the center of the bizarre cold case, reported NBC News.

Sheila Keen-Warren, 54, was arrested Tuesday at her home in the Appalachian Mountains and charged in Marlene Warren’s 1990 death.

It was unclear whether Keen-Warren had hired an attorney.

“Any murder’s horrific. It doesn’t matter whether you’re wearing a clown costume or not,” Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Sgt. Richard McAfee said after announcing the arrest.

“Taking another person’s life is a horrific incident,” he added. “It just took us 27 years to bring closure to the victim’s family. Murder cases never go away.”

Warren was in a jail cell in Abingdon, Va., near the Tennessee state line. She had waived her right to an extradition hearing, and Palm Beach County authorities have 10 days to pick her up, according to CBS affiliate WJHL.

Victim’s Mother Relieved

“I didn’t think that it would ever happen; there’s always hope, but I’d prefer to have her instead,” Marlene Warren’s mother, Shirley Twing, 87, told the Florida Sun-Sentinel after the arrest was announced. “She was a special young lady, she was a pretty young lady with long blond hair.”

“It feels good that they found [the killer], but it’s taking me back to the memory of it and it’s kind of hard,” Twing added. “I feel like crying now, but I’m glad it’s over.”

Woman Was Always Focus of Investigation

Louis Sessa, a retired detective, had been stewing over the case for nearly three decades. He told ABC News that the unsolved case still haunted him after he retired in 2006.

He’d long suspected that Sheila Keen-Warren was Marlene Warren’s killer, but he could never prove it.

Investigators gave him a courtesy call just after they made the arrest.

“Even after 27 years the case never goes away,” he said. “It was a big relief for me to hear she was in jail.”

Marlene Warren, who was 40 when she died, lived in the ritzy Wellington Aero Club in South Florida, police said.

Described as a “private aeronautical community,” it has its own landing strip and taxiways that lead to each home, so residents can “enjoy the luxury of flying right to their doorstep,” according to the Aero Club website.

Love Triangle

Marlene Warren’s husband owned a car dealership; she managed the couple’s rental properties, reported the Washington Post.

But Michael Warren had been having an affair with Sheila Keen. At the time she was a 27-year-old recent divorcée who repossessed cars for his dealership, according to the Sun-Sentinel, which covered details of the sprawling homicide investigation in 1990.

Other employees told investigators that the pair frequently took long lunches together. Furthermore, he began paying her rent, the newspaper reported at the time.

Investigators looked at both as suspects in Marlene Warren’s killing, and the circumstantial evidence piled up. Yet it was never enough to indict.

Hours after the killing, workers at a costume shop called police and said a woman had bought a clown costume two days earlier — then picked Keen out of a photo lineup, the newspaper reported in 1990. Clerks at a Publix grocery store near her home told investigators that Keen bought flowers and balloons 90 minutes before the killing.

Even so, the case went cold, because investigators didn’t have enough probable cause to make an arrest.

Paradox of Justice

However, in a paradox of justice, the inquiry led to legal trouble for Michael Warren. He was sentenced to prison in 1992 on 43 counts of odometer tampering, grand theft and racketeering, NBC News reported. He served three years in prison, and, in 1997, he vanished.

Cold Case Homicide

In 2014, the cold case squad reopened the investigation of Marlene Warren’s death.

They hoped that advances in DNA analysis and re-interviewing key witnesses would lead to a break in the case. And they did, although specific details were not provided.

And they learned a new detail about Michael Warren and Sheila Keen: They were married a dozen years after Marlene Warren’s killing, and were operating a restaurant together in Tennessee.

Washington County Sheriff Fred Newman said Michael Warren was present when his wife was arrested, but he would give no further details.

“Thousands of man-hours have been put in in the last 27 years,” Newman said. “We’re more than glad to be able to help to bring this to a successful conclusion.”

(Photo: Washington County Sheriff’s Office)