While Minnesota woman beheaded, police say bystander filmed the immigrant murdering her and posted it online


SHAKOPEE, MN – A 55-year-old woman was reportedly found beheaded by police in Shakopee earlier in July, after authorities responded to a call of a stabbing that occurred at the intersection of Fourth Avenue and Spencer Street.

Police arrested a 42-year-old male in connection with the killing, with investigators believing that the killing was not a random incident.

On July 28th at approximately 2:30 p.m., Shakopee Police responded to the intersection of Fourth Avenue and Spencer where they’d found the body of 55-year-old America Mafalda Thayer.

Responding officers reportedly found the woman’s body laying next to a vehicle, with her decapitated head lying next to her body.

Witnesses reportedly saw the incident unfold, according to authorities.

Police recovered a sheath for a large knife in a yard nearby the scene, as well as a knife in a trash can in an alley not far from the area.  

A 42-year-old male suspect, later identified as Alexis Saborit, was apprehended not long thereafter under suspicions of second-degree murder. Investigators say that the suspect and the victim were in a long-term relationship together.

In a post-Miranda interview with police, Saborit allegedly told investigators that he and Thayer were heading to a court appearance together on the day of the killing. Apparently, Saborit told police that he killed Thayer when she said that she wanted to end their relationship.

Shakopee Police Chief Jeff Tate confirmed reports that a witness did shoot video of the woman’s murder, which he expressed great disappointment that someone would grossly post the video of the victim’s killing online:

“We are aware that a bystander took a video of this incident. We have that video. It is deeply disturbing that the first instinct was to post that on social media.”

Thayer, a Cuban immigrant who worked at the local Dollar Tree and MyPillow, apparently had ongoing domestic issues with Saborit, according to some of her coworkers. Saborit also bears a previous conviction of gross misdemeanor domestic assault.

Jamie Worley, one of Thayer’s coworkers at MyPillow, spoke about the experience he and others had returning to work the following day and seeing Thayer’s empty desk:

“Went to the store and got her a rose and a teddy bear to put on her desk. When I got there, I didn’t even look at any other of my coworkers. I just stood at her desk with my head down. Everyone was just crying. It was a very emotional day and it still is.”

Saborit was reportedly also charged in a previous arson case that is still working through the courts.

According to KARE 11 reporter Lou Raguse, Saborit’s attorney from the arson case requested to not represent him as he became friends with Thayer since she was the one who hired him to defend Saborit in that prior case: 

“Also in the court hearing, Saborit’s attorney in his pending arson case asked the judge to remove him. The victim, Thayer, was the one who hired that attorney and he grew close to her while working on the case. The attorney felt it was a conflict of interest to keep defending him.”

“Prosecutors told me the victim legally changed her first name to “America” after she became a citizen here. She was the one who bailed Saborit out of jail on his pending arson charge, after he allegedly poured gasoline and tried to burn down the apt they shared.”

During Saborit’s bail hearing, he reportedly told the judge that he was “innocent” and that he killed Thayer in “self defense”, alleging that he was the victim of attempted extortion and murder from the victim. 

Saborit also had asked the judge if he could instead be deported to his country of origin instead of facing trial here in the United States, which the judge did not entertain said request.

The suspect is currently at the Scott County Jail, which his bail was set at $2.5 million cash with conditions or $2.5 million non-cash bond, also with conditions.

Saborit’s next court appearance is slated for August 9th. If convicted of second-degree murder, Saborit could face up to 40 years in prison.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In other disturbing cases, we at Law Enforcement Today recently shared a report detailing an incident that left two people dead and first responders injured in Tucson, Arizona earlier in July. 

Here’s that previous report. 


TUCSON, AZ – New details are emerging in the shooting rampage that left at least two people dead on July 18th in Tucson.

Dramatic body camera video has been released showing the final moments of the rampage as the suspect rammed a Tucson officer’s police vehicle and exchanged gunfire.

The terrifying string of events began with reports of a house fire near South Campbell Avenue and East Irene Vista at 3:45 p.m.

At the time of the call, emergency responders were unaware that gunman Leslie Stephen Scarlett was nearby, shooting two EMTs who were responding to a medical emergency at Quincie Douglas Center at Silverlake Park.

At a news conference, Tucson Police Chief Chris Magnus said Scarlett exited his silver SUV, approached the ambulance, and shot both EMTs without warning. The ambulance driver was struck in the head and the passenger in the arm and chest.

The 20-year-old EMT driver remained in “extremely critical condition” on Monday, while the EMT in the passenger seat, a 21-year-old woman, is listed in stable condition.

Following the shooting, Scarlett drove to the scene of the house fire and opened fire on firefighters. A firefighter radioed to police, “We’re being shot at.”

A fire captain radioed to dispatchers that shots were being fired as he ran into a nearby home after being shot by the suspect:

“I’m by myself in a residence. I’ve got a (gunshot wound) to the right arm. I think it’s just superficial.”

Another unidentified responder radioed that he and two others had fled the scene in a fire engine:

“We’ve fled the scene. I’m missing both of my firefighters.”

A 44-year-old neighbor was shot in the head and killed. He was identified as Corey Saunders, who police said was shot in front of his 11-year-old son.

A second neighbor was grazed by a bullet.

After firing at the firemen, Scarlett fled the scene in his SUV.

Tucson officer Danny Leon’s body camera shows what happened next.

As Officer Leon was responding to the chaos, police could be heard trying to make sense of what was happening in the city. As the officer approached the scene of the shooting, the suspect rammed his patrol car from the left side.

 Both vehicles came to rest near each other, and Scarlett jumped out firing multiple shots at the officer.

Officer Leon ducked behind his cruiser for cover and then returned fire, striking Scarlett. The suspect fell to the ground motionless.

Officer Leon covered the suspect until other officers arrived, and then rushed to secure him. After removing the firearm lying next to the suspect, Leon transitioned from combatant to medic.

Officers rendered medical aid to the suspect until he was transported to a local hospital, where he remains in extremely critical condition.

Police are investigating the relationship, if any, between Scarlett and the house fire. An unidentified, charred body was pulled from the burned home. Neighbors claimed the body was Scarlett’s girlfriend, but police have not confirmed the identity.

Tucson Police Department Sgt. Richard Gradillas said there were concerns about two or three children who lived in the home, but that they were eventually located. No further details have been released about the fire.

Sgt. Gradillas said police were still investigating the condition of the children.

Chief Magnus called the incident “highly tragic, really horrific incident with many unknowns.” He pointed out the investigation would be “lengthy and complex.”

Tucson Mayor Regina Romero asked the community to pray for the victims:

“I ask our entire Tucson community to join me in thinking about and praying for the victims of this afternoon’s fire and shooting by Silverlake Park, including first responders from AMR and the Tucson Fire Department. This was a horrific and senseless act of violence.

“Thank you to the men and women at (Tucson Police Department), (Tucson Fire Department), and all of the first responders and neighbors who courageously responded to the scene, knowingly putting themselves in danger.

“I have spoken with both Chief Magnus and Chief Ryan and let them know that they have my full support with anything they need during this difficult time.”


 Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts