MILWAUKEE, WI – A man who fatally punched his 5-year-old son back in 2019 for reportedly eating too much of his Father’s Day cheesecake has plead guilty to the murder of his child.
A Wisconsin man who confessed to punching his son to death over a slice of cheesecake pleaded guilty to homicide. The young child died of blunt force trauma. https://t.co/AuMSWMA7XN
— Andy Ngô (@MrAndyNgo) May 8, 2021
On May 5th, 30-year-old Travis Stackhouse reportedly plead guilty to second-degree reckless homicide, child abuse and child neglect regarding the June 2019 fatal beating of his 5-year-old son Sir Amer Stackhouse.
The plea deal was reached after Stackhouse had been on trial for two days, with state’s witnesses delivering testimony that apparently compelled Stackhouse to avoid potentially being convicted of first-degree reckless homicide had the matter been decided by a jury.
Reports indicate that Stackhouse had requested to speak with his mother personally before agreeing to plead guilty to murdering his son.
According to prosecutors, Stackhouse had gotten upset over his children eating too much of his Father’s Day cheesecake back in June of 2019, and resorted to physically attacking his 5-year-old son Sir Amer.
Stackhouse was said to have gone to a local bar after punching the child in the in the stomach, where upon his return, he and others in the household would call 911 regarding the child’s injuries.
Unfortunately, the child was declared deceased shortly thereafter.
Dad pleads guilty to killing 5-year-old son over cheesecake https://t.co/FYLnAvqv1P
— KETV NewsWatch 7 (@KETV) May 6, 2021
The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner’s Office found that the 5-year-old boy had died from blunt force trauma to the abdomen, specifically noting that Sir Amer suffered a ruptured stomach, bruised kidneys and a torn adrenal gland.
Following Stackhouse’s June 2019 arrest for his son’s murder, he was said to have initially told investigators that his son’s injuries were likely the result of him having fallen down the stairs.
However, investigators determined that the extent of the fatal injuries were not consistent with that of a fall.
Stackhouse would later admit to authorities that he did beat his son, noting that he’d even struck the child in the face with one of his hands that is “heavier than normal because of metal inside from a surgery,” according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
With the plea bargain that Stackhouse signed, he could be facing up to 37 years in prison. His sentencing date is slated for June 29th.
Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.
In other similar reports, a man accused of murdering his adopted daughter in Florida was assaulted inside of the jail he’s confined at in Miami, reportedly by five other inmates.
Investigators suspect that the inmate beating may have been inspired by the charges the man is facing.
Here’s that previous report.
MIAMI, FL – An alleged child murderer awaiting trial was reportedly attacked by a group of five inmates at the Miami-Dade jail earlier in March.
According to officials, the five inmates accused in the beating are now facing charges.
Five jail inmates beat up notorious accused child killer Jorge Barahona at the Miami-Dade jail because “of the nature of his pending charges,” according to a newly released police report. https://t.co/3SBfpnMv2f
— Miami Herald (@MiamiHerald) March 9, 2021
Officials said that 53-year-old Jorge Barahona was sleeping in his bunk March 1 at the Miami-Dade jail when a group of five inmates attacked him.
The accused murderer was said to have suffered some bruising to his face, a nosebleed and a small cut on his nose, according to police.
Officials said that the five men who allegedly attacked Barahona did so due to the “nature of his pending charges” and have since been charged with battery by a detainee.
Barahona is currently awaiting trial for the 2011 murder of his 10-year-old adopted daughter, Nubia.
Police say that Nubia and her twin brother were abused for several months before Barahona had allegedly beaten Nubia to death.
Authorities had discovered Nubia’s body in the back of Barahona’s pickup on February 14, 2011, along I-95 in Palm Beach County – with her body reportedly stuffed in a garbage bag that was submerged in chemicals.
The young girl’s twin brother, Victor, was inside of the truck’s cab along with Barahona at the time of the discovery, according to police.
Victor was reportedly found alive but unconscious when police happened upon the pickup truck – with officers reporting that Victor was covered in chemical burns on his body.
The young boy had informed authorities that both he and his sister were routinely abused by Barahona and his wife, Carmen. Victor reportedly told police that he could hear his sister being beaten to death while he was tied up in a bathtub in the home.
Carmen Barahona has already pleaded guilty to her actions involved in the case and is serving a life sentence in prison. She’s reportedly slated to testify against Barahona when his case goes to trial.
Jorge Barahona’s case was set to begin in April 2020 but due to the pandemic, was postponed to an as-yet undetermined date. He is facing the death penalty if convicted of the child’s murder.
This case has been rife with controversy due to the state Department of Children & Families having received numerous reports of abuse prior to Nubia’s murder in 2011 and an allegedly inadequate response to those complaints.
Jorge Barahona — accused of torturing and killing an adopted little girl in 2011 — was beaten by five inmates as he slept at a South Florida jail. https://t.co/nPbfcUffE7
— WEAR ABC 3 (@weartv) March 9, 2021
A lawsuit was eventually settled regarding the alleged inaction by the state DCF and Victor reportedly received a $5 million settlement from the state.
With regard to the alleged jailhouse beating of Barahona, the inmates charged in the matter were identified as Armando Verdecia, 21, Hakeem Drane, 24, Klauss Moise, 20, Devaun Spaulding, 27, and Oscar Martinez, 29.
Local reports indicate that the jailhouse assault of Barahona was not captured on surveillance footage, with jail officials believing that the inmates allegedly involved in the assault may have tampered with the camera.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.