Where are the hate crime charges? Two Asian women beat with a cinder block by black man in unprovoked attack


BALTIMORE, MD – According to police, on May 2nd, two Asian women, ages 66 and 67, were repeatedly assaulted with a cinder block at a Maryland liquor store.

Authorities reportedly charged 50-year-old Daryl Doles with two counts of aggravated assault. Officials have yet to indicate whether the incident is being investigated as a hate crime as of this time.

Police officials say that the assault occurred shortly after midnight at a liquor store in Baltimore’s 2000 block of Pennsylvania Avenue. The victims, who both reportedly work at the store, were closing up when a man broke in and launched the seemingly unprovoked attack.

From what’s seen on the surveillance footage, a man is seen pushing his way into the store and grappling with one of the women as she attempts to shut the door.

Shortly thereafter, the woman is dragged to the ground while another unidentified man inside the store appears to watch, stepping out of the way and not intervening.

According to authorities, Doles can be seen in the video repeatedly hitting the woman in the head with a cinder block while holding her down with his body. While this attack is ongoing, the second woman inserted herself into the fracas – but is eventually overpowered by the male assailant.

The suspect can be seen then continuing his attack against both of the women, with the vicious beating eventually being taken outside of the store. Authorities say Doles fled the area sometime thereafter before getting arrested.

Both of the victims were reportedly treated at an area hospital, having suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

A GoFundMe was launched by John Yun in relation to the incident, who identified the victims as his aunt and mother. Photos from the injuries sustained by the victims illustrate the severity of the attack – with both women bearing bloodied gashes and contusions on the head and face.  

According to Yun’s GoFundMe, the following is noted:

“On May 2nd 2021, my mom and aunt were viciously attacked by a random man wielding a cement block while they were trying to close up shop. They both tried to fight him off, but were unfortunately overpowered. My aunt got the worse of the attack with over 25 stitches on her head and black eyes. But we are relieved that both of their CT scans came back good and were discharged hours later.”

As of this time, authorities have not detailed any possible motive related to the attack.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this developing investigation.

 Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In other news, a man reportedly released early from a 25-year prison sentence was arrested for the stabbing of two Asian women in California. 

Here’s that previous report. 


SAN FRANCISCO, CA – The man charged with stabbing two Asian-American women on a San Francisco sidewalk this week was reportedly released early from a 25-year prison sentence due to a criminal justice diversion program.

Patrick Thompson, 54, of San Francisco, is charged with allegedly stabbing the two elderly women without warning at a San Francisco bus stop on May 5.

In a graphic video of the attack, a man police identified as Thompson can be seen walking up behind the two women as they stood at a bus stop. Thompson pulls out a knife and slashes them both as bystanders run to their aid.

The victims, 84 and 63 years old, suffered multiple stab wounds.

The attack is one of several which have occurred across the country as violence spread against Asian Americans following the outbreak of the Coronavirus pandemic. Police have not given a motive for the attack.

The District Attorney’s Office charged Thompson with two counts of premeditated attempted murder, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon, and two counts of elder abuse, with enhancements for great bodily injury, great bodily injury on elders, and personal use of a deadly weapon.

The charges carry a potential sentence of life in prison.

Just days after the San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin praised the capture of a suspect in a “brutal attack” on two elderly Asian American women, it has been learned that the attacker received early release for another attack in 2017.

Thompson was previously charged with assault with a deadly weapon in 2017, according to court records. In that case, Thompson was ruled incompetent to stand trial and sent to a state hospital.

Thompson was placed in a mental health diversion program, which defense attorneys at the San Francisco Public Defender’s Office said he successfully completed in August 2020, according to court filings.

A spokesman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation stressed that the department was not involved in sentencing decisions and referred questions to District Attorney Boudin’s office.

Boudin was not the District Attorney at the time of Thompson’s release.

A statement from the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office announcing the arrest of Thompson stated that Boudin visited with both victims in the stabbing case. Boudin said:

“The strength and courage of these women is inspiring. Their pain was tangible and will serve as a constant reminder of the importance of our work to make San Francisco safer for all.

“I am grateful to the medical team at San Francisco General Hospital, who helped to make sure the victims are still with us today.”

The statement addressed Thompson’s previous arrest and release, stating they wanted to clear up confusion:

“Police arrested Mr. Thompson in 2017 in separate cases, and because of some confusion, we want to clarify what happened in those prior cases filed against Mr. Thompson. During those proceedings, a judge found him incompetent to stand trial and he was sent to Napa State Hospital. Upon his return in 2018, his defense counsel requested he be sent to Mental Health Diversion, a program available pursuant to California state law. 

“Mr. Thompson was released from custody in October 2018 to participate in Mental Health Diversion. After almost two years of complying with the program, Mr. Thompson’s defense counsel moved to terminate him from the program, which a judge granted.”

Prosecutors called the attack on the two elderly women a “devastating tragedy” and said there needs to be more programs to support the mentally ill:

“What happened is a devastating tragedy, and we will use the full force of our office’s resources to prosecute this case. We also need to work hard to stop the next crime from happening, and that involves prevention and treatment.

“Mr. Thompson needed intensive supervision and services—which he received during Mental Health Diversion and which prevented new criminal behavior.  We need far more intensive tools that keep people who are mentally ill-treated and supported so that they do not re-offend even when there is no pending criminal case. “

Boudin has called for criminal justice reforms since campaigning for office. in March, he drew backlash in another case involving an unprovoked attack on an Asian American. In that case, he caused an uproar when he referenced a 19-year-old suspect’s “temper tantrum” in the killing of an 84-year-old Thai immigrant.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts