We just lost two more officers. Where’s all of the media coverage?


When a celebrity gets a paper cut, the media provides wall to wall coverage.  When we lose someone who protects our communities or our country?  Barely a peep.

That’s once again the case as we say goodbye to two incredible police officers.  And so it’s up to all of us to honor their memories.

The first was U.S. Border Patrol Agent Robert Hotten, who was killed in the line of duty on Sunday night in Santa Cruz County, Arizona.  And to make matters worse, it happened when he was trying to find a group of suspected illegal aliens who had tripped a border ground sensor.

The 44-year-old agent was one of three  who responded to the Mount Washington area of the Coronado National Forest.  They got the call after the sensor was activated 1 p.m. on Oct.6 – with an indication that there were seven suspected illegal aliens were in the area.

He stopped responding to radio transmissions while searching the remote terrain, which lead to a search from his fellow agents.

They found him around 4:15 p.m. and was unresponsive – he’s believed to have fallen and hit his head on rocks while searching for the people who snuck into the country.

For more than two hours, they administered medical aid and performed CPR on him while trying to carry Agent Hotten a quarter mile to an area where an emergency medical helicopter would be able to land.

“These are very steep mountaintops, there were rocks, its uneven ground, high grass…” Tucson Chief Patrol Agent Roy Villareal said. “The effort put forth by the agents was heroic.”

The helicopter rushed him to the airport in Nogales, where he was then taken to a local hospital where he was declared dead.

The FBI is still investigating his exact cause of death.  One of the illegals was arrested and is currently being questioned by the agency.

More than 10 years.  That’s how long Agent Hotten served the U.S. Border Patrol.  He was assigned to the Tucson Sector at the time of his death.

“On behalf of the U.S. Border Patrol, Tucson Sector, I want to thank the responding agents and emergency response personnel who worked attentively to render aid and secure medical assistance,” Chief Villareal said.  “Our deepest sympathies are extended to Agent Robert M. Hotten’s family, friends, and colleagues.  I ask that you keep Agent Hotten’s loved ones in your thoughts and prayers.”

Agent Hotten is survived by his wife, son, brother, and mother.

And we lost another officer on Wednesday, when Police Captain Edward “Marti” Garrow of North Ridgeville, Ohio passed away.

He died after a brief battle with cancer.

“We lost another good one,” the NRPD said. “It doesn’t quite seem real… but for as horrible as cancer is it gives you a wonderful gift. It allows you to say goodbye. It allows you to make amends and say things that need to be said before regrets are cemented for eternity.”

His obituary read: 

“Passed away peacefully at home surrounded by his family.”

The 52-year-old captain’s career with the NRPD began in December of 1989 and served the department for some 30 years.

During his time there, he worked as a field training officer, crisis intervention team member, crash re-constructionist, detective bureau supervisor, and emergency vehicle driving instructor, his department said.  On top of that, he was a graduate of the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy (FBINA).

“Marti was always bigger than life and a true icon here… a true leader,” the NRPD said. “More than all of that though, Marti was a good human. He was doing this job for the right reasons and he taught a lot of us things that we carry to this day.”

North Ridgeville Mayor David Gillock weighed in on his death, describing him as a “cop’s cop” and saying that Capt. Garrow was a valued member of the community and the department.

“His relationship with us has always been really great,” the mayor added. “He served the residents. He was in it for the right reasons and we saw that every day.”

North Ridgeville Police Chief Mike Freeman also spoke about Capt. Garrow.  He called him a “very educated officer,” who “took his duties seriously”.

The NRPD said Capt. Garrow coached kids’ wrestling in his off-time.  He and his wife were the founders of the still-active Columbia Youth Wrestling Club, the department said.

“Marti was a proud family man,” the department said. “His wife, Robin and he had four boys [Shane, Sean, Corey, and Hayden] that are all equally good humans and made him proud every day. The duty to serve runs deep in the family with Shane serving as a United States Marine and Corey serving as soldier in the United States Army.”

Capt. Garrow leaves behind his grandson, parents, and siblings.

“We are going to miss Marti tremendously but he died knowing how much he was loved,” the NRPD said. “So long, Marti. Watch over us, now just as you did in life. Our passenger seats are always open brother.”

Last week, we lost three more incredible officers… also with barely any media coverage.

Wichita Police Detective Matthew Young
Wichita Police Detective Matthew Young

Wichita Police Department (WPD) Detective Matthew “Matt” Young passed away after a long fight with cancer.

“It is with great sadness for us to report that the Wichita Police Department has lost one of its finest members, Detective Matt Young,” the WPD said in a Facebook post later that day. “Matt passed away this morning from his tough battle with cancer.”

In January, Det. Young was diagnosed with late-stage pancreatic cancer.

He spoke to the media about it in March. 

“I was pretty devastated, honestly,” the 49-year-old detective said. “I mean, the thoughts start going through your head about my daughters that I’m not going to walk down the aisle and give away at their wedding, basketball games, things that I’m going to miss…anniversaries with my wife.”

His career began when he was hired by the Emporia Police Department in 1994, then he joined the WPD in 2000.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.

LET Unity

He spent the next 19 years serving as a patrol officer, honor guard member, bomb squad member, and Sex and Domestic Violence Division detective.

“He cared deeply for the people he served and for the men and women in blue he had the honor to serve beside,” his obituary read.

According to Wichita Police Chief Gordon Ramsay, the department has “suffered a great loss” with the detective’s passing.

“Matt put up a strong fight against cancer and his smile, helpful nature, work ethic and leadership are going to be missed by everyone,” Chief Ramsay said. “We continue to keep his family, friends and colleagues in our thoughts and prayers.”

His obituary said he leaves behind his “high school sweetheart” and wife of 25 years, Laurie, as well as his children, Rebecca, McKenzie, Makenna, Maranda, Maryn, Michael, and Marcus… and is also survived by his parents, siblings, two grandchildren, and many friends and extended family members.

“Matt will forever be missed for his love and dedication to his family and to our department,” the WPD said.

Prince George’s County Police Cpl. Marquette Turner
Prince George’s County Police Cpl. Marquette Turner

We also learned this week about the passing of Prince George’s County Police Department (PGCPD) Corporal Marquette Turner in Maryland.

His department said he died on Sept. 29 after suffering a medical emergency.

“The Prince George’s County Police family is mourning the loss of one of our own,” the department said in a Facebook post. “Corporal Marquette Turner died Sunday morning during a medical emergency.”


He died at Southern Maryland Hospital, according to the Prince George’s County Police Retired Association (PGCPRA) in a Facebook post.

He was a Washington, D.C. native.  Before joining PGCPD 16 years ago, he served in the U.S. Army.

He was described as a “well-liked, dedicated officer,” who spent most of his career assigned to the Patrol Bureau’s District IV station in Oxon Hill.

“He loved serving others in the military and as a police officer and he truly loved the Washington Redskins,” the PGCPD said.

He’s survived by his four children, as well as his mother, siblings, and many family members, along with “his family here at the Prince George’s County Police Department,” the agency said.

“We offer our deepest condolences to his entire family,” the department said.

NYPD Officer Derrick Bishop
NYPD Officer Derrick Bishop

We also learned this week about the passing of NYPD Officer Derrick Bishop, who lost his battle with 9/11 related cancer on September 19.

The retired New York Police Department officer devoted 21 years of his life to the department.

His sister, Jeaneen Bishop, said the 60-year-old had been diagnosed with prostate and thyroid cancer after having worked at Ground Zero post 9/11.

Jeaneen now works as a police aide with the Irvington Police Department in New Jersey.  She told media outlets that her brother was the first member of their family to serve as a law enforcement officer.

“He’s the oldest brother in the family,” she said. “He initiated it all. We’re very proud.”

He worked in the NYPD’s 71st Precinct.

“It was a great, great loss,” Jeaneen said.

Officer Bishop retired in 2003 then later took a job as a security guard at a bottling facility in East New York.

The media reported about how he was working his midnight security detail in the predawn hours one night in 2014 when he was confronted by an armed carjacker.

“I looked at him, and I see his hands and see he has a 9mm pointed at my face,” the retired officer told the New York Post at the time. “Then he told me he’s going to blow my brains out, he would shoot me in the face if I didn’t hand him my money.”

According to the report, Officer Bishop handed over his valuables, but the carjacker wasn’t done.

“He kept saying, ‘That’s all the –k you got? I’m gonna kill you, I’m gonna shoot you,’” he told the news outlet.

Ultimately, Officer Bishop drew his own weapon and shot his attacker four times in the neck and chest – the man later died at Brookdale Hospital.

“It’s not a good feeling to shoot anybody,” Officer said with tears streaming down his face. “It was just something that happened. I didn’t want to die. I wanted to be able to see my kids and my wife.”

According to Jeaneen, the grief her brother experienced after the shooting was heartbreaking.

Officer Bishop leaves behind his wife, Patricia, and his daughters, Chanel and Dominique, as well as his mother and brother in addition to his sister.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts