After mayor claims cops lied, PD release footage showing officers attacked by group while trying to make an arrest


NEWARK, NJ– Recently released video footage shows Newark police officers being attacked while trying to make an arrest.

According to reports, the incident happened on the afternoon of Tuesday, June 1st while officers were trying to arrest a man who was accused of gun possession. While trying to make the arrest, a group of individuals descended on the officers and began attacking them.

On Friday, June 3rd, the Newark Police Department (NPD) released clips from body worn camera footage showing the incident.

The department said that it does not usually release camera footage during an investigation, but that they wanted to release the video clips due to “numerous rumors and erroneous reports” about the attack.

Newark Public Safety Director Brian A. O’Hara said in a statement:

“Typically, when a criminal investigation is underway, we don’t release the footage per policy. Regardless, when police wear body worn cameras, the public expects that we have nothing to hide. Therefore, I believe it is in the best interest of the public to release this video, especially in light of all the false information circulating about this incident.”

The release of the video also comes after Newark Mayor Ras Baraka originally said that no officers were attacked and that the police union was spreading lies, stroking fear in the community. However, because of the attack, at least two officers were injured and had to be hospitalized.

Baraka accused Newark FOP Lodge No. 12 President James Stewart of spinning a “false narrative” about the officers being pummeled to the ground and attacked by a mob.

The mayor said:

“Two men tried to interfere in the arrest…while a small group of people gathered, they in no way attacked police.”

officer attack stomp
Youtube screenshot

The photo above is a screen shot from the body cam video, which was taken right after the man pictured pushed over the officer wearing the body camera being viewed and then stomped on him straight down while the officer laid on the ground.

Authorities said that two Newark Police officers and a detective from the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office were patrolling the area of Fabyan Place and Cypress Street around 1:30 p.m. on June 1st in response to gun violence in that area.

O’Hara added that while patrolling the area the officers approached a group of men on the street and attempted to stop one man who was suspected of gun possession. The released body camera footage is below.

O’Hara stated that a longer version of the video is still being processed, but that it was not yet currently available. Officials said that two brothers of the suspect came to the scene and “physically interfered” with the arrest. Officers called for backup and two officers were injured while attempting to make the arrest.

O’Hara said that Branden K. Rodwell, 31, of Newark and Justin Rodwell, 30, of Irvington, were arrested at the scene. The next day, Wednesday, June 2nd, Jaykil A. Rodwell, 28, and Jasper D. Spivey, 24, both of Newark, were arrested after surrendering to police following issuances of arrest warrants for each on charges related to that incident.

Police said that Branden and Justin Rodwell each face charges of three counts of aggravated assault against a police officer, obstruction of the administration of the law, and resisting arrest.

Jaykil Rodwell and Spivey each face charges of three counts of aggravated assault against a police officer, obstruction of the administration of the law, and hindering apprehension or prosecution. Essex County Prosecutor’s Office spokeswoman Katherine Carter confirmed that the incident is now under investigation by her office.

On Friday, June 3rd, O’Hara commended the officers for how they handled the incident, contradicting what the mayor had said a day prior.

O’Hara said:

“They used extraordinary restraint even while it is clear from the video that the officers were out-numbered and that they were attacked while attempting to make an arrest. We cannot and will not standby and allow police officers, who are sworn to safeguard our streets, to be physically attacked for doing their job.

“In today’s climate, where similarly minor incidents have resulted in unpredictable outcomes, our officers ensured that not one of the civilians involved was injured and that is highly commendable.”

Stewart thanked O’Hara for releasing the footage so that an accurate depiction of what occurred can be viewed by the public.

Stewart said:

“Now the citizens can view for themselves what these officers were up against that afternoon and maybe ask themselves what they would have done had they been in that situation. The lack of respect toward police and the disregard of the law cannot continue and we need all of our leaders emphasizing that.”

He added:

“As I stated on Tuesday night, these officers were attacked while they were simply trying to make the community safer, trying to get a gun off the streets of Newark.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Report: Man who attacked two Capitol Police Officers, killing one, was a self-proclaimed black nationalist

April 3rd, 2021

WASHINGTON, D.C.- According to senior law enforcement officials, the man who murdered a U.S. Capitol Police officer and seriously wounded another with his vehicle, was a 25-year-old black nationalist originally from Indiana.

Acting Chief Yogananda Pittman stated that the driver struck two officers with his vehicle and rammed the barricade outside of the Capitol Complex, then jumped out of his car brandishing a knife at the officers.

She said in a statement:

“Our officers then engaged that suspect. He did not respond to verbal commands. The suspect did start lunging toward U.S. Capitol Police officers, at which time, U.S. Capitol Police officers fired upon the suspect. At this time, the suspect has been pronounced dead.”

She added:

“Two U.S. Capitol Police officers were transported to two different hospitals and it is with a very, very heavy heart that I announce one of our officers has succumbed to his injuries.”

According to authorities, the fallen hero has been identified as U.S. Capitol Police Officer William “Billy” Evans, an 18-year veteran of the Capitol Police force. 

The knife-wielding suspect has been identified as Noah Green, who described himself as a “Follower of Farrakhan” and a member of the radical group Nation of Islam, said that the federal government was targeting him with mind control on his Facebook page, which has been deleted.

Also on his Facebook page, Green professed himself to be a devout follower of Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, a known anti-Semitist. The Nation of Islam has been labeled as an extremist hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center and numerous other watchdog groups.

The DC Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) was investigation both the attacks on the officers and the officer-involved shooting. MPD Acting Chief Robert Contee initially said that the incident “does not appear to be terrorism related.”

In a very long-winded post to Green’s Facebook page on March 17th, he said, in part:

“I have been tried with some of the biggest, unimaginable tests in my life. I am currently now unemployed after I left my job partly due to afflictions, but ultimately, in search of a spiritual journey.”

Green went on to recite the virtues of Farrakhan and profess his beliefs that the leader of the Nation if Islam was the “man who can carry us through the dark hour.” He also shared a picture of a certificate to “Noah X” from the Nation of Islam for making a $1,085.00 “Saviors Day Gift 2021.”

The motive for the attack is still not clear, but posts on Green’s now-removed social media accounts spoke of conspiracies that the FBI and CIA were poisoning him, subjecting him to unauthorized operations and targeting him with “mind control.”

Reportedly, in one post, just two hours before the attack, Green called the federal government the “#1 enemy of black people.” Green also wrote several posts heaping praise on Farrakhan for saving him describing him as “Jesus, the Messiah” and his “spiritual father.”

According to law enforcement officials, Green was not known to police in D.C., but he did have a criminal record in another state. Court records show that back in December in Indiana, Green filed a name change petition. He reportedly wanted to change his name form Noah Ricardo Green to Noah Zaeem Muhammad.

Fallen officer Evans died a hero. He joined the department in 2003 and was a member of its first responder unit. Larry Cosme, national president of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers’ Association, said in a statement:

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the Officer who passed and his family. He gave his life in dedication to protecting our nation’s democracy and should be treated as a national hero. Our prayers also remain with the second officer battling injuries sustained in the attack. We hope for a swift recovery and commend both officers for their courageous actions.”

The wounded officer, who has not been identified, remains in serious, but stable condition. Capitol Police, D.C. police, U.S. Park Police, and U.S. Secret Service escorted Officer Evan’s body from the hospital to the medical examiner’s office.

As the procession passed, police and firefighters across the nation’s capital stood at attention to show respect for the fallen hero. President Joe Biden ordered the flags at the White House lowered to half-staff to honor Officer Evans and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D) reportedly did the same at the U.S. Capitol.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

One officer dead, second injured after attack in U.S. Capitol – National Guard deployed, building in lockdown

April 2nd, 2021

WASHINGTON, DC – According to reports, a Capitol Police officer was killed and another was injured after a suspect reportedly rammed a vehicle into one of the barriers that surrounds the Capitol complex.

While preliminary details are scant, it has been reported that police fatally shot the suspect that allegedly rammed their vehicle into the barrier.

Officials say that the Capitol complex is currently on lockdown following an incident involving a suspect ramming their vehicle into the surrounding barrier of the complex on the afternoon of April 2nd.

The suspect, who has not been identified as of this time, was said to have rammed their vehicle into two police officers and then exited the car while armed with a knife, reportedly lunging at officers.

According to a briefing provided by Capitol Police Chief Yogananda Pittman, officers then fatally shot the suspect:

“He did not respond to verbal commands. The suspect did start lunging toward U.S. Capitol Police officers, at which time U.S. Capitol Police officers fired upon the suspect.”

The two officers that were injured during the incident were said to have been transported to two area hospitals, with the police chief saying that one of the officers did not make it:

“The suspect has been pronounced deceased. Two U.S. Capitol Police officers were transported to two different hospitals, and it is with a very, very heavy heart that I announce [one of the] officers has succumbed to his injuries.”

Such as with the name of the suspect, officials have not yet named the injured and deceased officer involved in this matter.

Officials from the DC National Guard confirmed that troops were deployed to the area of the incident after it transpired:

“The DC National Guard deployed a Quick Reaction Force (QRF) composed of National Guard soldiers and airmen to the Capitol complex this afternoon to support the U.S. Capitol Police. Due to operational security, we cannot discuss further details regarding the QRF.”

Videos showcasing the formation of the National Guard troops were also shared on social media.

At the time of this writing, there’s no word from officials on any possible motives behind the incident.  

However, police officials have stated that this incident does not seem to be “terrorism related” and that there is no apparent “ongoing threat” as of this time

Images of the alleged suspect involved in the deadly attack have surfaced online, which it appears to have been a young black male behind the vehicular ramming incident.

This is an ongoing investigation. Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this developing case.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts