BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Police released video showing a Hasidic man running through the streets of Brooklyn from a gang of suspects who beat and robbed him in what police are calling a random attack, CBS New York reported.
The video shows the 24-year-old victim frantically running from a group of four assailants, who chased him through Warsoff Place between Flushing and Park Avenues in Bedford-Stuyvesant.
Police say it began with the victim walking up the street just before 10 p.m. on Tuesday. The suspects can be seen across the street. They cross to where he is and two of the suspects confront him while another hides behind a vehicle. The victim appears to be using his cellphone before the suspects approach him.
Police say they are not considering the attack a hate crime because no anti-Semitic slurs were used. They’re referring to it as a random attack and a robbery.
No arrests have been made as of yet, but these images were released of the potential suspects.
Watch the video below.
🚨Alert🚨Be on the the look out #bolo: The following 4 perps are wanted by the @nypd79pct detective squad for a Robbery and assault that occurred in the area of Warsoff Pl and Flushing Ave on September 17 2019 at 9:30pm if seen call 911 and #Shomrim @718-237-0202#CaughtOnCamera pic.twitter.com/Gq20piJ3mn
— Williamsburg Shomrim (@WspuShomrim) September 18, 2019
Anti-Semitic crimes have been on the rise across the five boroughs recently, CBS reported, prompting former New York state assemblyman Dov Hikind to call for greater enforcement against attacks on Jews.
Hikind is planning to attend a rally to speak out against the crimes this weekend.
As violent antisemitism continues to plague NYC, we must come together as New Yorkers to send a clear message that such hateful acts will not be tolerated.
Join us on Sun, Sep 22 at 12pm at City Hall Park and let it be known that the city stands unified against antisemitism! pic.twitter.com/9NWxe83nGX
— Dov Hikind (@HikindDov) September 16, 2019
“Another day, another brutal and vicious attack on a Hasidic Jew in Brooklyn. We don’t need more empty talk from city and state “leaders”. We need action! The NYPD should be stepping up patrols in all Jewish neighborhoods until this wave of violent antisemitism subsides,” Hikind said Tuesday.
These types of mob-style attacks have been happening in cities more frequently. In Minneapolis, police are battling to stop the influx of robberies being committed by large groups of people.
Police arrested 20 people and have charged 18 of them in connection with a string of robberies and severe beatings on random targets.
Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans? It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans. Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice. Check it out today.
Authorities say the suspects they took into custody ranged in age from 15 to 27-years-old.
The robberies became more frequent beginning in August, where large groups of people were targeting random individuals and robbing them of possessions like their wallets and cellphones.
In just three weeks, authorities had been alerted to 48 separate incidents, with 23 going down in just one week’s time.
Police say that the attacks most frequently occurred between the hours of 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. and that the groups would target “vulnerable” individuals, usually alone, sometimes intoxicated.
CBS 4 Minnesota reported that from January 1 to August 26 in 2018, police said there were 156 robberies downtown. During that same span in 2019 there were 240 — an increase of 53.8%.
The arrests came quickly after a series of videos showing mob-style attacks in downtown Minneapolis went viral.
Police told Fox News that it sparked an “incredible” investigation. And that case led to the arrest of 20 people in connection with the videos, 18 of whom now face assault and robbery charges, among others.
In one of the videos, you can see a mob pummeling a man just outside of the Minneapolis Twins’ stadium. The suspect was just sitting next to them when someone appears to try and take his phone. He jumps up, is hit in the face, and then chased down by his attackers.
In the video you can see the attackers run to pick up speed and jump on the victim. Then they ride a bike over him, strip him of his pants and beat him with a belt, even going so far as to throw flower pots at him. In the clip, you can see that he tries to defend himself but is completely outnumbered.
Another video shows two young men being attacked, getting punched in the face while trying to fight back. One is knocked out cold.
A third video shows a young man surrounded by a mob and beaten unconscious… then robbed while he’s on the ground.
“Many of these juveniles that are affected by this are part of just coming out of incarceration and they don’t have any hope at home, there’s nothing there, and so they come downtown where there’s a little bit of everything and they’re waiting on somebody to prey on,” said V.J. Smith, founder of MAD DADS.
The videos all came out as Minneapolis struggles to deal with a massive shortage of police officers. It’s resulted in the chief of police, Medaria Arradondo, requesting 400 additional officers over the next few years to make up for the shortage.
But members of Minneapolis’ City Council don’t want the money to go towards more cops and have instead argued it should go towards other law enforcement and safety programs.
The city’s mayor, Jacob Frey, is on board with adding 14 additional officers to the force – and police say he’s been supportive of both the department and the new policing strategies in the city’s downtown.
Want to know how bad that shortage is?
Last year, the department was unable to immediately send a police car to 6,776 priority one emergencies.
Among those calls were shots fired, stabbings and sexual assaults.
According to police, priority one calls involve “an imminent threat to personal safety, or the loss or damage to property exists.”
It gets worse. There’s what’s called “priority zero” calls – of which police were unable to respond to seven of them.
They included a baby not breathing and a fellow officer facing imminent danger. Those calls, according to police, “include those situations where a known crisis exists that threatens the life of an individual. This is the highest possible priority and the fastest possible response is desired. The MECC objective is to have squads en route to the call within 30 seconds of receipt by the dispatcher.”
“To have to look someone in the eye and tell them that we were unable to get there because we do not have enough resources – it’s unacceptable,” Andy Skoogman, the president of Minnesota Police Chiefs Association, told Fox News.
Alondra Cano is the chair of the city’s safety committee. Cano said the city council acknowledges there is a crisis and promises it’s investing and diversifying its force to better represent the community.
“I do appreciate that the mayor has put forward an investment strategy in our department because we can’t walk around with the same broken department since the 1950s,” Cano told Fox News. “We’re thankful that the information is out in the open. We would rather have a truthful conversation than pretend like this isn’t happening.”