ST. LOUIS – During a day when many Americans went to a house of worship, watched football, or did something of leisure, a few sick and perverted executioners went to work on American cops in Missouri, Texas, and Florida.

A man police believed was connected to the shooting of a St. Louis sergeant Sunday evening is now dead after opening fire on investigators according to the St. Louis Post Dispatch.

At about 7:30 p.m. Sunday night, a St. Louis police sergeant was shot near Hampton and Pernod Avenue. A suspect pulled up next to the sergeant’s SUV and opened fire.

Police said the sergeant, 46, had been shot twice in the face and was conscious. He was in critical but stable condition and expected to live. He is a 20-year veteran of the department.

“He was targeted because he was a police officer,” Mayor Francis Slay said at a press conference at Barnes Jewish Hospital. “He didn’t stop anybody. He didn’t point a gun at anybody.”

Undercover officers found the suspect’s car abandoned in a parking garage police said. He was picked up by a woman and then followed by police seeking to learn details.

The suspect, reported to be about 19, jumped out of the car and fired at the officers, striking the windshield of a truck driven by one of them. Investigators engaged in a foot pursuit that lasted about 100 yards before they exchanged gunfire according to police. The suspect was killed at about 12:45 a.m. Monday. His identity was not released.

The woman was taken into custody.

If anyone still doubts there are sick and perverted people who’ve taken to executing cops, Sunday should have cleared that up. Four incidents in one day is cause to sound the alarm!

In addition to the attempted murder of the sergeant in St. Louis, a police officer was murdered in San Antonio during a traffic stop. A police officer in Sanibel, Florida was shot and wounded as he was on a traffic stop. And late Sunday night a police officer and suspect were shot during a traffic stop in Gladstone, Missouri, a suburb of Kansas City. The officer is expected to survive. There is no information regarding the shooter reported the Dispatch.

According to police in St. Louis, when they arrived at the scene of the sergeant who was shot, he was sitting in his SUV, his seatbelt was fastened and his gun was holstered.

“He didn’t have time to react to this threat,” Police Chief Sam Dotson said.

A source told the Post-Dispatch that the sergeant said a car had pulled up beside his SUV and he thought the driver was going to ask him a question. Instead, the person in the car fired at the officer. The sergeant did not get a good look at the shooter, the source said.

“The officer says he saw the muzzle flashes and felt the glass breaking in his window as the shots came through and struck him in the head,” Dotson said.

The police sergeant has two bullets lodged in his face, one near his nose, the other in his cheek, a source told the Post-Dispatch. The officer has three children and works out of the Second District.

Police theorized the car involved in shooting the sergeant may have been connected to a carjacking Saturday in the Affton area, a source said. Police said the suspect in the Affton case also was being sought for questioning in a homicide Saturday in St. Louis according to the Post Dispatch. In that case, firefighters responding to a car fire found a man who had been shot in the head in the 500 block of West Poepping Street.

Dotson said it was too early in the investigation to say whether this shooting was related to the Affton case. The car in that case was tan; the police sergeant said the car that had pulled up next to him was silver.

“Fortunately, and for the blessing of God, the officer is going to survive tonight,” Dotson said. “But he was shot twice in the head, twice in the face.”

The chief asked for help from the public.

“It’s not [just] a threat to our police department, it’s a threat to our community, our city,” Dotson said. “This officer was driving down the road and was ambushed by an individual who pointed a gun at him from inside of his car and shot out the police officer’s window. This just shows the dangers of policing, not only here in St. Louis but around the country.”

All officers are now patrolling two officers to a car, he said.

The San Antonio officer was shot to death in his police unit Sunday, outside police headquarters by another driver who pulled up from behind. San Antonio police Chief William McManus identified the officer as Detective Benjamin Marconi, 50, a 20-year veteran of the force. McManus said the shooter had not been apprehended Sunday night.

In Sanibel, the Fort Myers News-Press reported, the officer was shot in a drive-by shooting while he sat in his patrol car after completing a traffic stop. The officer was released from the hospital late Sunday. A suspect was in custody.

Few details were available late Sunday on the Gladstone shooting, although the Kansas City Fraternal Order of Police tweeted that the Gladstone officer “is expected to live” and that it was “the best news we could have asked for.”

Missouri Governor-elect Eric Greitens tweeted Sunday night: “A St. Louis Police Officer was ambushed this evening. Another officer in Gladstone shot while on traffic stop. We must always have the backs of those who keep us safe. Prayers with their families tonight.”

CrimeStoppers in St. Louis offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the shooter. The number is 1-866-371-8477.