US Marshals arrest suspect in murder of 7-year-old Kennedy Maxie – shot in the back of the head just before Christmas


HAMPTON, VA – According to officials, the alleged murderer of 7-year-old Kennedy Maxie was arrested on January 6th by U.S. Marshals in Hampton, Virginia. The suspect is currently awaiting extradition back to Atlanta, where the murder transpired. 

On December 21st, Kennedy Maxie was shot in the back of the head by a stray bullet that entered the vehicle she was riding in with her mother and aunt after a day of Christmas shopping. 

When the incident occurred, the girl’s aunt heard gunshots ring out along Peachtree Road near Phipps Plaza, noticing moments later that little Kennedy had been struck by the gunfire. 

At the time, Kennedy was rushed over to the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite where she was in critical condition before succumbing to her injuries on December 26th. 

When police were initially investigating the incident, Atlanta Police Department Interim Chief Rodney Bryant suspected that the shooting of Kennedy wasn’t intentional – but she wound up becoming the victim of a stray bullet. 

Authorities eventually set their sights on 24-year-old Daquan Reed, alleging that an altercation he’d gotten into at a parking lot outside Saks Fifth Avenue on December 21st that escalated into him allegedly firing a weapon resulted in Kennedy’s death. 

APD Homicide investigators say that Reed fired three shots that evening, one of which penetrated the vehicle Kennedy was in and struck her in the back of the head. 

While specifics of the arrest are unclear at this time, U.S. Marshals were said to have caught up with Reed in Hampton, Virginia, which Reed is reportedly a native to the state. 

Reed is now facing charges of felony murder, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, and reckless conduct.

An extradition to Atlanta is expected soon for the murder suspect. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

We at Law Enforcement Today previously reported on investigators identifying Reed as the primary suspect in the case – and also reported on his previous brushes with the law. 

Here’s that previous report. 


ATLANTA, GA – A suspect has been identified in connection of the murder of seven-year-old Kennedy Maxie, who was shot in the head on December 21st while out Christmas shopping with her family. The suspect is currently at-large. 

Furthermore, officials say that this suspect has had some brushes with the law before – including a previous shooting incident in 2019. 

Daquan Reed is the 24-year-old suspect who police say is responsible for the gunshot to the head that killed seven-year-old Kennedy Maxie. Maxie’s tragic death appears to be the result of a stray bullet.  

Atlanta Police say that Reed had gotten into some kind of an argument in a parking lot outside Saks Fifth Avenue at Phipps Plaza. When he began to leave the area, he allegedly fired three gun shots outside of his car window. 

Police say that one of those bullets struck seven-year-old Kennedy Maxie in the back of the head while she was inside of a vehicle with her family. The young girl later died at the hospital while undergoing treatment. 

Reportedly, the young girl died just one day after Christmas – having to spend her final holiday with her family inside of a hospital room. 

As mentioned, this is not Reed’s first run in with the law, as he has a bit of a violent history.

Court records in Virginia showcased that he was arrested previously for assault and battery, strangulation, and various other misdemeanor charges.

He reportedly also hosts a conviction for forgery. 

Additionally, back in 2019, Reed was one of two people arrested in connection with a shooting in Norfolk, Virginia that took place at the MacArthur Center Mall.

U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force had actually located Reed in Atlanta for his October 2019 arrest in relation to the Virginia shooting incident. However, Reed was only charged with accessory after it was stated that he was not the gunman in that case. 

But Reed not allegedly facing murder charges, APD Chief Rodney Bryant is trying to determine what the suspect’s connection with the state is, considering his previous arrest by U.S. Marshals in 2019 in Georgia. 

Chief Bryant says that the department will locate the suspect: 

“We will find him and we will bring him back to the city to face justice.”

Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms also ensured that every resource the APD needs to enact this arrest will be afforded to the department: 

“APD is doing what they can. I do know if they’re resources they don’t have, we’ll move mountains to make sure they have what they need.”

Officials are also offering a $15,000 reward for anyone who can furnish information that can lead to the arrest of Reed. 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Submit a Correction
Related Posts