KANSAS CITY, MO – Homeowners and neighbors in some Kansas City suburbs woke up to hate mail in their mailboxes Monday.
It appears that someone is targeting Trump supporters.
The Chair of the American Conservative Union, Matt Schlapp, tweeted a picture of a flyer Monday morning. He captioned the post:
“These fliers are being left in Kansas City neighborhoods. This on top of former KS National Committeeman getting run over on his yard due to his Trump sign. Please pray that America will reject this violence and hate.”
These fliers are being left in Kansas City neighborhoods. This on top of our former KS National Committeeman getting run over on his yard due to his Trump sign. Please pray that America will reject this violence and hate. pic.twitter.com/vQlb1ZqiVg
— Matt Schlapp (@mschlapp) October 19, 2020
The photo shows a letter that opens with “Dear Neighbor.” It goes on to say that the recipient of the flier has been identified by an unnamed group “as being a Trump supporter.”
The flyer continues to read:
“Your address has been added into our database as a target for when we attack should Trump not concede the election. We recommend that you check your home insurance policy and make [sure] that it is current and that it has adequate coverage for fire damage. You have been given ‘Fair Warning.’”
However, it does not end there. The note goes on to say:
“Always remember, that it was ‘you’ that started this Civil War. Be prepared to face the severe consequences of your pre-emptive actions against democracy.”
Schlapp’s post has already been shared nearly 10,000 times and has received an outpouring of comments.
The account for a Republican group in Ohio posted in response:
“The @TheJusticeDept needs to open an investigation immediately into all of these tactics to suppress and intimidate Republican voters. It’s happening here. It’s a nationally organized effort.”
The @TheJusticeDept needs to open an investigation immediately into all of these tactics to suppress and intimidate Republican voters. It’s happening here. It’s a nationally organized effort.
— DelCoRepublicans (@DelRepublicans) October 19, 2020
Another woman tweeted:
“I’m hopeful they are ready to face consequences of their actions quickly. We cannot continue to let these people rule and rant in the streets of our country.”
I'm hopeful they are ready to face consequences of their actions quickly we cannot continue to let these people rule and rant in the streets of our country
— TheGriff (@griffm601) October 19, 2020
It is far from an isolated case of threats against Trump supporters, or backlash directly tied to pro-Trump political leanings.
Earlier this month in Denver, Co., local news outlet KDVR reported that a woman was booted off the popular Nextdoor neighborhood app after posting a get well message for President Donald Trump and the first lady as they both battled COVID-19.
Many cities and civilians use that app for crime updates and other safety-oriented purposes.
The suspended user told KDVR:
“They said it was political that I wished the president a speedy recovery. I didn’t say vote for him. No matter what my vote is, I would say it about Obama. I would say it about anyone. If somebody is sick, we wish them to be well.”
In Massachusetts this weekend, police arrested a 34-year-old woman for an attack on a Vietnam veteran, allegedly motivated by his support for Trump.
Kiara Dudley bailed out of jail Monday morning. The local CBS station in Boston said that Dudley reportedly berated the 73-year-old veteran and his date. When they tried to walk away, Dudley allegedly stepped on the man’s “Veterans for Trump” sign and then knocked him over when he tried to pick it up.
She is now charged with assault and battery on an elderly person causing injury.
Arguably, the most publicized attack on a pro-Trump supporter happened in the politically divided Portland.
The case made headlines over the summer. ABC News reported that a protestor shot and killed 39-year-old Aaron Danielson in late August after two groups clashed during a Black Lives Matter protest.
Danielson was reportedly with a group of self-described Trump supporters who came to Portland to counter-protest during a riot against police brutality. His killer shot him in the street and then went on the run for days.
Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.
Military veteran, 77, brutally beat wearing Thin Blue Line mask and pro-Trump hat
September 25, 2020
RED BLUFF, CA- A 77-year-old man was attacked in broad daylight while outside a post office in California. The military veteran says that he was assaulted for wearing a “Back the Blue” mask and a “Make America Great Again” hat.
— KRCR News Channel 7 (@KRCR7) September 22, 2020
The attack occurred on Sept. 18 outside a post office in Tehama County, roughly 130 miles outside of Sacramento. The man, who wishes to remain anonymous, spoke to KRCR-TV in an interview where he recalled details of the attack.
He explained that a man and woman approached him outside of the post office and expressed disdain for his pro-police and MAGA attire:
“She looked at me and she goes, ‘We just don’t like people like you.’ Just kind of got shocked a little bit and said, ‘Well, that breaks my heart,’ and no more sooner out of my mouth, I get hit on the left side of my head.”
The veteran then said that after being punched he was put in a headlock by his attackers and ruthlessly beaten:
“Then somehow he got me in a headlock and started pounding me on top of my head … I got blood all over the place and I’m trying to figure, you know, where’s my hat, where’s my package?”
Following the blitz attack the veteran was transported to St. Elizabeth Hospital for treatment. He sent a picture of the top of his head to KRCR-TV which shows deep bruises, along with cuts and scratches from the attack.
He says that, although it’s been days since the attack, he is still experiencing headaches.
Red Bluff police later arrested 26-year-old Daniel Gomez-Martinez in connection with the attack. Gomez-Martinez is charged with battery and elderly abuse, according to the Sacramento Bee. The woman who was involved in the assault has not yet been identified.
Although he was blindsided by the attack, the 77-year-old still feels remorse for letting it happen in the first place:
“I just feel kind of bad, seven years in the military, Vietnam veteran and 30 plus years in law enforcement, and you’re always taught situational awareness. And this guy came out of … I never saw it coming.”
He wrapped up the interview by expressing his disbelief over what happened:
“I was so shocked for the hate that people have, you know. I don’t hate them. I never met them. I just can’t believe they would do something like that.”
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!