“Unarmed victim”? Chicago Police release bodycam footage of July officer-involved shooting


CHICAGO, IL – Chicago Police officials released the bodycam footage from an officer-involved shooting that occurred in late July during an evening traffic stop in the Bronzeville neighborhood where a suspect was non-fatally shot in the leg during the incident.

The Chicago Police Department’s oversight agency released the bodycam footage from the July 25th incident earlier in September.

According to authorities, police initiated a traffic stop at approximately 9:40 p.m. in the area of the 4500 block of South Drexel Boulevard. Upon stopping the vehicle, police say they were approaching two male suspects, when one of the two suddenly fled into an alley on foot.

A foot pursuit ensued, with released bodycam footage showed the brief chase that played out. Gunfire can be heard coming from the direction of the suspect being pursued, with the officer returning fire on the suspect.

After the brief exchange of gunfire, the officer stopped on the alleyway to speak with dispatch regarding the situation and resumed the pursuit until happening upon the suspect who was laying on his back and crying about being shot in the leg.

Officers placed the suspect into cuffs and began inquiring about where the firearm was, which the suspect was proclaiming that he didn’t have one. A tourniquet was applied to the suspect’s leg by officers and was taken into custody and administered further medical treatment.

The gun allegedly used to fire at police was also later recovered from the scene, according to reports. 

The name of the suspect has not yet been released by officials. It’s unclear as of this writing what the initial stop was about nor what exact charges the shooting suspect and the other inside of the vehicle, who was also arrested, are facing. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Gun-controlled Chicago: Suspect out on bail for murder caught with gun a second time while out on bond

(Originally published September 21st, 2021)

CHICAGO, IL – A 38-year-old man who was out on bond for a murder charge was arrested this past June for allegedly being in possession of a firearm.

Surprisingly, the suspect was released on bond again for the gun charge – and was arrested again earlier in September for allegedly having another firearm.

On December 26th of 2017, 38-year-old Vincent Davidson was arrested for the murder of 28-year-old Tommie Jones and for the non-fatal shooting of a 26-year-old woman back in October of that year.

According to authorities, the shooting happened at around 10:30 a.m. on October 1st of 2017 within the 2600 block of East 75th Street.

Prosecutors allege that Davidson had walked up to the victims and opened fire, shooting Jones in the head and back multiple times, and shooting the woman in her back, which she survived and later recovered from the shooting.

Two days after being arrested and charged with first-degree murder and aggravated battery by discharge of a firearm in the case, a judge ordered Davidson to be held without bail.

However, in August of 2020, a judge reduced Davidson’s bail to $300,000 and Davidson was later released after posting a $30,000 deposit bond.

On June 1st of 2021, Davidson and two passengers were pulled over for a traffic infraction, and officers reportedly discovered an open bottle of tequila in the vehicle. According to prosecutors, when an officer inquired whether he had anything in his car, Davison replied there was “something” in the center console.

As it would turn out, according to police, that “something” inside of the center console was a loaded 9-millimeter firearm with a laser sight affixed to it.

The $30,000 bail that Davidson paid to get out of jail on the murder charge was described by Judge Mary Marubio as “incredibly hefty” and that the monetary imposition “didn’t move the needle.” She then ordered Davidson to be detained without bail in both the gun and murder cases.

Then, for reasons that are not quite clear, Davidson was released from jail back in August again.

On September 18th, Davidson was again pulled over for a driving infraction. Officers claimed they spotted an open bottle of alcohol in his vehicle again, as well.

Upon further searching of the vehicle, police again reportedly discovered a pistol in his trunk – this time allegedly hosting an automatic firing switch.

He was charged with being a felon in possession of a weapon and resisting arrest, according to prosecutors – same as with the June incident.

On September 19th, Judge Susana Ortiz ordered Davidson to be detained without bail for violating the conditions of his release in the murder case, as well as the terms of his bond in the June gun case.

In the current gun case, she set bail at $200,000 and ordered Davidson to be placed on electronic monitoring if he is released again under any circumstances.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Police: Chicago man sets fire to building, live-streams entire incident and brags about the blaze

(Originally published September 16th, 2021)

CHICAGO, IL- According to reports, a Chicago man is accused of setting a fire that spread to a Lawndale home and then broadcasted a video of the arson where he bragged about setting the blaze as the building continued to burn. 

The man, since identified as 19-year-old Edward Robinson, was arrested shortly after and charged with aggravated arson and possession of a controlled substance. 

According to CWB Chicago, Robinson posted the video to the controversial app “Citizen,” which claims to improve public safety by telling users about unverified police and fire radio traffic. The app also reportedly lets users live stream video from crime scenes. 

Prosecutors stated that Robinson set a family’s home on fire and then confessed to starting the blaze multiple times as he live-streamed the scene on Citizen. As he live-streamed the footage, Robinson said:

“I’m live on the Citizen app! Gang! Hey y’all, I’m gonna be honest with y’all. I just caused this fire with this torch in my pocket. The person recording is the reason this fire is happening.”

As he panned his camera from the fire to the lighter in his pants, he said:

“I caused this fire with this lighter.”

According to authorities, Robinson set fire to a dumpster that was on the north side of a building on South Christina Avenue just before 6:30 p.m., Thursday, September 9th. The building gradually erupted into flames and two females, ages 16 and 50 were inside at the time, but thankfully able to escape unscathed.

A police spokesperson said a witness rang their doorbell and told them to get out of the house because it was on fire. Prosecutors said that all three floors of the building suffered significant damage in the blaze.

Robinson was ordered held on a $500,000 bail and will need to post $50, 000 to get out of jail. If he posts bail, he will be required to have electronic monitoring. Prior to this incident, Robinson was convicted three times as a juvenile for illegal gun possession.

During his bond appearance on Saturday, September 11th, Assistant Public Defender Courtney Smallwood said that Robinson is the father of two children and pointed out that no injuries were reported from the fire.

After hearing the state’s allegations, Judge Arthur Williams said:

“In this court’s opinion, you were there, you were filming, you were watching what occurred out of enjoyment. It’s through the grace of God that no one was hurt, killed, or injured in any way.”

In a separate incident, a heartless California man has been hit with felony charges for allegedly setting his own down on fire in a Los Angeles park. 

The New York Post reported that the suspect, 24-year-old Brandon Smith, has been charged with animal cruelty after police say he was caught on surveillance video walking into the park on August 22nd and leaving without the dog. 

Days later, the 7-year-old Corgi mix, named Hennesy, was found tied to a pole and badly burned. The helpless dog died a few days later. Carrie-Lynn Neales, of the animal rescue group A Purposeful Rescue, said in a statement:

“I’ve never witnessed something that horrific. On Thursday, I went to see her at our vet and that’s when I saw the extend of the trauma and the abuse. It’s something I’ll never unsee and it was pretty horrific.”

Smith was arraigned on one count each of cruelty to an animal and arson. In a press release, Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón said that Smith allegedly used lighter fluid to set Hennesy on fire. He added:

“One of the most important responsibilities of my office is to protect the most vulnerable. That includes our pets.”

Smith’s ex-girlfriend, Serena Prentice said that she has a restraining order against him and that he has a history of mental illness and violence. She said:

“The only thing I can think of is just disgust, honestly.”


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts