Christmas massacre: Two officers shot during standoff with suspect who then ended life on livestream


WICHITA, KS – Two officers with the Wichita Police Department were wounded in a Christmas morning shooting and the suspect is dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound he apparently inflicted over a social media livestream.

Wichita Police identified the deceased suspect Saturday as 24-year-old Malik Rogers. Rogers was on parole for previous felony convictions for attempted second-degree murder and aggravated assault.

Police received a call at about 11:30 p.m. local time Friday and responded to a nearby restaurant, where they met with a female employee who described how she had been “physically battered” by Rogers, who was her boyfriend, according to Wichita police Capt. Jason Stephens.

The 22-year-old woman told responding officers that Rogers had come to her house uninvited earlier Friday and attempted to enter the home through a window. When the attempt failed, he was eventually let into the home by a young child.

During a news conference, Capt. Stephens told reporters:

“Once inside, he confronted her and pointed a handgun at her, essentially assaulting her with that gun and also during the course of that disturbance punched her in the face.

“She also reported that on December 23, a separate incident where he grabbed her by the neck and physically assaulted her.”

Officers then went to the suspect’s residence in the 2600 block of South Emporia Street with the intent of arresting Rogers on felony domestic violence charges.

Police made contact with the suspect and spent ten to fifteen minutes trying to talk the suspect into peacefully surrendering to them. He refused and retreated into the home.

Christmas massacre: Two officers shot during standoff with suspect who then ended life on livestream

Capt. Stevens said the officers were aware of the dangers they were facing:

“The officers knew going to that resident that (the suspect) was on parole, that he had committed a violent offense with a gun in the previous day.

“Fearing that he could have been going for a weapon, they confronted him inside the house and continued for several minutes to try and negotiate him into submitting to arrest.”

Rogers again refused to submit and struggled with officers before barricading himself in the bathroom of the home. Capt. Stephens described the confrontation that followed:

“One of the officers immediately forced entry into the bathroom door and was confronted by Malik Rogers, who was pointing a gun at them.

“Mr. Rogers discharged that firearm at the officers two times, hitting one of the officers in the right arm and the other officer in the upper right leg.”

Officers were able to make a tactical retreat and a SWAT team and crisis negotiators made contact with Rogers again in an attempt to negotiate a peaceful surrender.

While negotiating, police became aware of a social media livestream by the suspect, who was still barricaded inside the bathroom. At the same time, officers heard a gunshot fired inside the bathroom.

Capt. Stephens said:

“(Officers heard) what they believed could have been a gunshot – a single gunshot.”

“In and around the same time, we became aware of a social media post where Mr. Rogers was essentially talking about having just shot two police officers, and a gun was visible on the live feed from that social media post.”

Officers entered the bathroom and found the suspect unresponsive, suffering from a gunshot wound. Officers attempted to render aid, but the suspect died at the scene.

The two wounded officers were transported to a local hospital. Police Chief Gordon Ramsay said the officers’ injuries were serious, but not life-threatening.

Both officers have served with the Wichita Police Department for less than a year.

 Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Kansas Democrat with growing rap sheet who “sextorted” teen girl arrested for second time in one month

December 2, 2021

DOUGLAS COUNTY, KS – An embattled Democratic Kansas House Representative is in hot water again, roughly four weeks after his arrest for domestic violence. Now, he has been arrested for driving under the influence and again is out on bond.

On November 27th, Democratic Kansas Rep Aaron Coleman was stopped by the Kansas Highway Patrol while allegedly speeding on the Kansas Turnpike near exit 202. The Kansas Highway Patrol released a statement on the arrest which said:

“The driver failed to yield and proceeded to exit the KTA at Exit 202 before pulling into a parking lot located near Plaza 202. During the traffic stop, the Trooper observed signs of possible impairment.

“The driver was identified as Mr. Aaron Coleman of Kansas City, Kansas. A DUI investigation led to Coleman being taken into custody for driving under the influence (DUI). Coleman was released to the Douglas County Jail for DUI, speed, and failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.”

Coleman remained in jail for approximately 12 hours until he was able to post a $250 bond and be released. So far, there has been no formal statement made regarding the arrest either by Coleman or any other member of his office.

Coleman, 21 years old, is no stranger to trouble, both politically and legally.

In October of this year, Coleman was arrested for domestic violence battery against his brother and grandfather. In that incident, Coleman is alleged to have spit on his brother before striking and pushing him. At some point during the altercation, he also allegedly threatened to harm is grandfather.

Coleman was taken into custody for that alleged offense and posted a bond after pleading not guilty in the Johnson County District Court. Coleman has been out on bond since and has refused numerous calls to resign from his office.

Kansas House Speaker Ron Ryckman, Republican, has called for Coleman to step down from his position. In a statement, Ryckman said:

“Mr. Coleman’s actions continue to be a detriment to himself and others, and most importantly to the people who elected him to represent them. I hope constituents recognize this and that Mr. Coleman will step down to get the services he needs.”

Kansas House Minority Leader, Tom Sawyer, Democrat, also weighed in by having this statement posted on Twitter:

“I want to reiterate what I have said in the past: It is clear Representative Coleman is in dire need of help.

For the sake of the state of Kansas, his constituents, and himself, he should resign and concentrate on getting the help he badly needs. The stress of the legislature is not a healthy environment for someone in this mental state.”

Additionally, Democratic Kansas Governor Laura Kelly chimed in for the first-time concerning Coleman and his alleged actions. She said:

“Mr. Coleman’s most recent arrest is further evidence that he is not fit to serve in the Kansas House of Representatives and that his continued presence in the Legislature is a disservice to his constituents.

He should resign immediately and seek the treatment he needs. If he does not resign, the Legislature should use its process to remove him from office.”

Beyond the legal issues that Coleman has faced in the last four weeks, his start in politics also had a very bumpy start.

Shortly after he announced that he was running for office, Coleman admitted that he cyberbullied several young women as well as trying to talk one into killing herself.

For a short period of time, Coleman did the honorable thing and withdrew himself from the election. However, he claimed that numerous people contacted him urging him to continue in the race, so he reentered and beat the incumbent in the primary.

Since there were no Republicans running in the race, Coleman won the election when the primary was over.



Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Submit a Correction
Related Posts