Two U.S. Marshals shot, one NYPD detective injured in attack by armed fugitive wanted for shooting cop


NEW YORK CITY, NY – Two U.S. Marshals were shot and one NYPD detective was reportedly injured during a confrontation with an alleged armed fugitive within the Bronx during the morning hours of December 4th. 

Officials say that both U.S. Marshals are expected to survive said gunshot wounds and that the suspect being sought is deceased following the confrontation. 

The U.S. Marshals’ New York/New Jersey Regional Fugitive Task Force were reportedly in the Wakefield section of the Bronx at around 5:30 a.m. searching for 35-year-old Andre Sterling. 

Sterling was said to have been wanted for allegedly shooting 28-year-old Trooper John Lennon in the hand on November 20th in Hyannis, Massachusetts. 

The suspect was obviously not apprehended after said incident on November 20th, which resulted in Sterling being listed as a wanted fugitive for charges of armed assault with intent to murder, possession of a firearm and assault and battery. 

When U.S Marshals confronted the suspect on December 4th at an apartment within the area, a shootout transpired. One of the U.S. Marshals was shot in the leg and arm, while the other was struck in the leg. 

Sterling was reportedly killed during the exchanged gunfire.

As for the NYPD detective injured during the incident, reports allege the detective injured his leg but pointed out that the injury was not gunfire-related. However, not much context has been provided beyond that. 

While having been shot, officials noted that the U.S. Marshals’ injuries are non-life threatening. 

It’s unclear what led authorities to locating the suspect at the apartment complex, as not many details have been released regarding the investigation prior to the confrontation. 

All that has been revealed so far is that investigators working the case regarding the non-fatal shooting of Trooper Lennon in November believed that Sterling may have fled the Hyannis, Massachusetts area, prior to the December 4th confrontation

None of the injured law enforcement personnel have been identified as of this time. 

This is a developing story. 

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather further updates on this investigation. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

We recently reported on a St. Louis Police officer that was reportedly shot in the neck when responding to what was described as a disturbance call minutes after midnight on December 3rd. 

Amazingly, the officer is expected to survive. 

Here’s that previous report. 


ST LOUIS, MO – A St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department was reportedly shot in the neck twenty minutes after midnight on December 3rd nearby the city’s downtown area. 

According to Chief John Hayden from the department, the shooting incident took place along the 1600 block of North Broadway, which runs south of the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge.

Officers at the time were responding to what was described as a disturbance call in the area, which Chief Hayden explained is one of the most common calls officers respond to: 

“Officers come to work – just trying to do their jobs. The disturbance call is the most common call that we can get. Certainly in a disturbance call, it is unknown what will happen.” 

And that “unknown” element certainly took place, when police say officers noticed a muzzle flash emanating from the area where they’d just responded to.

When said muzzle flash went off, Chief Hayden said a 32-year-old officer who has been with the department for nearly two years was hit with “a projectile” from a suspect shotgun blast. 

From what Chief Hayden said when detailing the incident, he referred to this latest incident has being part of a larger pattern where officers are “under assault” now more than ever: 

“Our officers have been under assault. There is no other way to put it. Our officers have been trying to do their jobs on several instances this summer, and this is the 10th officer to be struck by gunfire. And it’s really disturbing that officer’s can’t do their job without coming under gunfire.”

“I’ve been with the department for 34 years. [There] has never been a time when officers are just going on call – they haven’t confronted anybody – and the sentiment is that an officer can be shot at.”

Despite the officer having been struck in the neck by said gunfire, it was reported that the sustained injuries are non-life-threatening. The officer was reportedly transferred to the Barnes Jewish Hospital for treatment. 

St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson took to Twitter to remark on the shooting, calling the incident “very disturbing”: 

“Last night, a young officer was shot while responding to a disturbance call. I am thankful he will be ok. He is the 10th [SLMPD] officer shot in the line of duty since June – all while just doing their job. Very disturbing. Thank you to all our officers!”

Police have yet to take anyone into custody regarding the shooting, nor has there been any indication yet that a person of interest has been identified. Investigators are reportedly still interviewing witnesses as of the morning of December 3rd. 

This is an ongoing investigation. 

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather updates on this case as they develop. 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts