Fallen heroes: Two Pennsylvania State Troopers killed while responding to a call, pedestrian also dead


PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA – During a crash on Interstate 95 early Monday morning in South Philadelphia, two Pennsylvania state troopers and a pedestrian were killed.

Police say 33-year-old Martin F. Mack II and 29-year-old Branden T. Sisca were the crash victims. The pedestrian’s identity has not yet been released.

The state police reported troopers Mack and Sisca were responding to a call of a man who was walking on I-95.

While assisting the man into the cruiser, a female driver tried to speed past the scene. The driver fatally struck both troopers, the pedestrian and the cruiser.

When state police dispatch attempted to make contact with the two troopers, they did not receive a response. This prompted dispatch to send backup to the scene.

Both troopers were pronounced dead at the scene.

According to police on the scene, the force was so profound it threw the troopers into the northbound lanes. The driver did not flee the scene.

A DUI investigation is underway. Currently, no charges have been filed against the female driver.

Trooper Mack was a graduate of the 141st cadet class and had been part of the force since November 2014.

Trooper Sica graduated as a member of the 161st cadet class and was on the force since February 2021.

Trooper Sica was also a fire chief in Trappe, Montgomery County. He is Deputy Craig Sisca’s son, who is a 10-year veteran of the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.

Both troopers were assigned to the Patrol Section of Troop K, Philadelphia for the duration of their careers.

Trappe Fire Company No. 1 posted on their website saying,

“It is with great sadness and heavy hearts that Trappe Fire Company No.1 announces the passing of Fire Chief Branden Sisca.

Chief Sisca was tragically killed in a motor vehicle crash earlier today while working as a Pennsylvania State Police trooper.

More details will be released following an investigation by PSP.

Right now we ask that you give his family and the family at Trappe Fire Company time to process the loss of an incredible person.

Keep all of them in your thoughts and prayers.”

Trappe Deputy Fire Chief John Bolger commented saying,

“Our hearts go out to Branden and his family in particular. We are also grieving and send our prayers and thoughts of Trooper Mack.”

Philadelphia State Police Commissioner Robert Evanchick said,

“Our department is heartbroken with the tragedy that occurred early this morning in Philadelphia.

We ask our fellow Pennsylvanians to keep the families of our troopers and the pedestrian in their thoughts.

This is an extremely difficult time.”

A police procession that included 25 cruisers and motorcycles accompanied the troopers’ bodies from the crash site to the medical examiner’s office.

The Pennsylvania State Troopers Association made a statement saying,

“Trooper Martin Mack and Branden Sisca died serving the people of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

They are heroes, who will forever be honored by all those who recite the Pennsylvania State Police Call of Honor and serve as a Pennsylvania State Trooper.

Our hearts, love and prayers go out to their loved ones.

The PSTA will be there for them during this difficult time.

We also want to extend our deepest sympathies to the family of the pedestrian who was killed in this tragedy.”

Since both troopers were organ donors, their organs have been donated to the Gift of Life Program.

In honor of troopers Mack and Sica, Governor Wolf ordered all Pennsylvania state facilities, grounds, and public building flags be flown at half-staff.

According to the Governor’s website,

“The commonwealth flag shall be lowered to half-staff until sunset on Friday, March 25, 2022, as well as on the day(s) of their funerals which have not yet been announced.

The United States flag is to remain at full-staff through this tribute.”

Governor Wolf said,

“This is a heartbreaking tragedy that occurred while these troopers were protecting and serving.

This mournful incident is a stark reminder of the risks – and sacrifices – our law enforcement officers undertake every day to keep us safe.

My heart goes out to their families and the communities they lived in and served.”

The Pennsylvania State Trooper Association is warning residents of solicitors attempting to raise money for the families of troopers Mack and Sisca.

PSTA President David Kennedy said,

“It’s disgusting to even have to issue this statement, but our members and others are reporting to us that they’re receiving phone calls from people alleging to represent law enforcement organizations that are raising money to benefit the families of our fallen brothers.

“The public should not make donations or provide personal information to these callers. The PSTA is the only official organization that represents and serves Pennsylvania state troopers, and we do not use telephone solicitation for fundraising.”




Officer with just three months on the force killed while helping citizen who crashed car

KNIGHTDALE, NC- According to reports, a Knightdale police officer died during a car crash along Interstate 540 on the morning of October 27th.


The incident happened at approximately 2:40 a.m. on eastbound Interstate 540 close to the Buffaloe Road exit. Authorities stated that officers, including 23-year-old Ryan Hayworth, were investigating a single-car crash in the area when another car crashed into the back of the officers’ patrol vehicle.

Hayworth, a three-month veteran of the force and a former member of the United States Army, was killed in the collision. He is the oldest son of retired Zebulon Police Chief Timothy Hayworth.

The other officer with Hayworth, Officer Cody Hagler, was seriously injured. He was rushed to a nearby hospital and is being treated for non-life threatening injuries. In a press release shared on Facebook, the Knightdale Police Department (KPD) detailed the incident in a press release.

Chief Lawrence Capps stated:

“Ryan’s loss is an indescribable tragedy for our department and our community. The pain of his death felt the most by his family, friends, and those who knew him best. As we begin the process of healing, we ask that you join us in season of prayer for all of those who have been forever touched by this heartbreaking event.”


The driver involved in the initial crash and the driver who crashed into the two officers were both seriously hurt. The North Carolina State Highway Patrol is currently investigating the crashes.

Troopers noted that alcohol was believed to be involved in the crash that Killed Hayworth and injured Hagler.

Final charges are pending, awaiting the conclusion of the investigation. Troopers stated that 40-year-old Dedric Privetee was behind the wheel of a Mercedes at the time and is responsible for the crash that caused Hayworth’s death. Chief Capps stated:

“There’s never been an individual who exemplified that value alignment the way that Ryan did. From the moment that we first interacted we knew that there was something that was extraordinary about this young man.

We knew through his service to this country that he was already deeply committed to people- to serving a cause and a purpose that was much bigger than himself.”


In a subsequent post, the department told residents area police departments would be providing assistance. The post stated:

“As we continue to process this tragedy, other area Police Departments are providing us a helping hand. Be advised that you may see units from surrounding jurisdictions assisting with patrols in Knightdale.”


The Nash County Sheriff’s Office expressed its condolences. In a Facebook post, the department stated:

“Our agency has experienced the same emotions that they are right now and we understand their hurt. Please continue to pray from them during this difficult time and in the days to come for which they will have to endure.”

On Monday, October 18th, a procession of police officers and firefighters from across the Triangle escorted the body of Hayworth back home to Knightdale. The NC State Bureau of Investigation tweeted:

“We send our deepest condolences to the Knightdale Police Department and the family and friends of Officer Ryan Hayworth who was killed in a crash early this morning. Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.”



On Monday, October 18th, a steady stream of people from the community wanting to pay their respects, dropped by the police department to place flowers on top of a patrol car parked out front in memory of Hayworth.

One of those who stopped by was Matthew Hannon, a childhood friend of Hayworth’s who drove from Greensboro when he got the news. He said:

“Ryan was a type of man who cared deeply about those around him. He’s always sort of had the community service blood in him.”

The Knightdale Police Department is planning a vigil for Hayworth and is expected to announce details on Tuesday, October 19th.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

North Carolina deputy held at gunpoint in Cook Out drive-thru line after she went to order a drink

October 4th, 2021

SALISBURY, NC – A Rowan County Sheriff’s deputy was reportedly held up at gunpoint while going through a drive-thru line during the early morning hours back in late September.


On September 29th at approximately 3:15 a.m., Deputy A. D. Weaver went by the Cook Out located off of East Innes Street to get something to drink.

As the deputy was pulling up to the drive-thru, she was approached by an individual who mentioned that there were two men that appeared to be passed out inside of a vehicle in the drive-thru line.

According to the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office, Deputy Weaver tried to talk with the guys but was unable to wake them up. Deputy Weaver requested assistance from Salisbury Police thereafter.

In the event of a possible overdose, Rowan EMS and Salisbury Fire Department were also sent to the scene.

With the crews being successful in waking the two men up, they next attempted to establish whether they had simply fallen asleep or had taken any drugs.

Deputy Weaver and one of the officers present spoke to one of the men, later identified as 18-year-old Dayshun Lamont Davis, who reportedly kept putting his left hand under his leg in spite of Deputy Weaver’s orders to keep both of his hands visible.

Davis allegedly continued to disregard the deputy’s orders before taking out a pistol, leaping from the car, and putting the weapon into the top left corner of her vest, according to sheriff’s officials. The suspect then allegedly headbutt Deputy Weaver in her chin before fleeing the scene on foot.

The deputy along with other officers pursued the subject on foot, with other officers and deputies establishing a perimeter in the area. Even with the assistance of K9 units, authorities were unable to immediately track down Davis.

A warrant was later obtained for Davis’ arrest, citing him as being wanted for assault with a deadly weapon on a government official, two counts of resisting a public officer and carrying a concealed firearm.

Authorities later tracked Davis down at approximately 1:00 p.m. on September 29th at a residence within the 400 block of Miller Avenue. Officials say he was taken into custody without further incident.

As for the second subject that was reportedly inside of the vehicle with Davis during the original incident, authorities say he was completely compliant during the entire interaction and was not arrested for any offense.

Deputy Weaver was reportedly shaken up from the incident but didn’t suffer any serious injuries. Davis was booked into the Rowan County Detention Center where his bail was set at $500,000.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Detective shot multiple times by fleeing suspect during drug investigation – now they’ve got the shooter

(Originally published October 2nd, 2021)

WARRIOR, AL – A Warrior Police detective who was in the early stages of a narcotics investigation was reportedly shot multiple times by a fleeing suspect earlier in September.

The detective was rushed to an area hospital and is in stable condition, with officials adding that the suspect has been taken into custody.


The incident occurred at approximately 9: 40 p.m. on September 30th, as 33-year-old Detective Lee Glenn was engaged in the preliminary stages of a narcotics investigation in the area of McCart Drive and Main Street, according to Warrior Police Chief Scott Praytor.

Detective Glenn was sitting inside of his vehicle when he noticed a male subject walking in the street toward the vehicle that he was in. The detective exited his vehicle, which the suspect then reportedly started to run from the area.

Officials say that Detective Glenn told the suspect to stop running, which then the suspect allegedly turned around and opened fire on the detective – striking him multiple times in the torso.

Detective Glenn was UAB Hospital, which Chief Praytor says that he’s doing well, considering the circumstances:

“He was stable and he was looking better than when he was transported so that goods news. I would ask that everybody pray for this officer. He’s a good officer. He was out there doing a good job.”

The suspected shooter is 20-year-old Julian Scott McKenzie of Warrior.

Police say he was arrested and booked into the Jefferson County Jail on an attempted murder charge.  He’s being held without bond.

One area that Chief Praytor expressed immense appreciation for was the response from neighboring law enforcement agencies:

“When it’s a smaller city, you depend on that help. Everybody came together and they were able to secure the crime scene, get my officer help, get him to the hospital, get the suspect in custody and end the danger to the rest of the citizens of Warrior fairly quickly and I do want to thank them for that.”

While acknowledging that Warrior is a smaller city than compared to others, Chief Praytor noted that they’re not immune to the sorts of crimes targeting law enforcement that often plague larger cities:

“This doesn’t just happen in big cities. Anywhere you have police officers working this kind of thing can happen anytime. We have to appreciate our officers who are out there at night, keeping us safe.

We talk about it every day here, that this can happen at any time. We have to be on our guard. We’re just praying that our officer comes through this OK and we can heal as a department and as a city.”


This isn’t the first time that Detective Glenn has come under fire, as he was involved in the shooting incident from February of 2020 on I-65 that left Kimberly Police officer Nick O-Rear dead. During that incident, Detective Glenn was parked along the I-65 when he spotted a black BMW driving erratically after the driver noticed his patrol cruiser.

Detective Glenn activated his lights and pursued the vehicle, with the driver being identified as 38-year-old Preston Johnson. Authorities say that Johnson failed to stop, and Officer O’Rear heard the radio traffic regarding the pursuit and joined in.

When Officer O’Rear pulled onto the I-65, his vehicle was positioned ahead of Johnson’s and Detective Glenn was pursuing him from the rear. A woman who was riding with Johnson was allegedly told to retrieve a gun from inside of the vehicle, which she reportedly refused.

The woman told authorities that following her refusal to grab the gun, Johnson reached into the backseat and reportedly produced a Norinco Mak-90 AK-47.


Johnson allegedly fired through his front windshield at Officer O’Rear’s vehicle and then show through his back windshield toward Detective Glenn’s squad car. Officer O’Rear was struck and later died at the hospital, while Detective Glenn was not harmed during the shooting.

Authorities later apprehended Johnson and he’s since been charged with the officer’s murder. His case is still ongoing.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Police officer ambushed and shot after discovering two gunshot victims in gun-controlled Chicago

(Originally published September 25th, 2021)

CHICAGO, IL – A Chicago Police officer was non-fatally shot after being among officers who responded to a shots fired call where two victims were discovered.

Officials say the officer’s condition is stabilized, but one of the discovered gunshot wound victims was later declared deceased.


Police say that on September 24th at approximately 10:50 p.m., Third District officers had responded to a call of gunfire around the 7200 block of South Jeffery Boulevard.

Responding officers found two victims on the ground, identified as a 25-year-old male and a 15-year-old male, when additional gunfire rang out in officers’ direction.

A female CPD officer was struck during the shooting and was able to self-transport to an area hospital for treatment. Officials say that her condition is stabilized. The officer injured during the shooting did not return fire, according to police.

As for the two gunshot wound victims, the 25-year-old male had reportedly been shot multiple times throughout his body. He was transported to University of Chicago Medical Center where he later passed away.

The 15-year-old had also suffered multiple gunshot wounds primarily to his legs. He was transported to Comer Children’s Hospital, where he was last listed as being in fair condition.

Area One detectives are investigating the shooting but have not made any arrests, nor have officials come forward with any possible description or motive attributed to the two male victims or police coming under fire.

According to a report from the Chicago Sun Times, the unnamed officer injured during the incident shared the following message after receiving treatment for her wounds:

“I just want to say thank you to everybody that responded, and I’ll be back soon.”

Chicago Police are urging the public to come forward with any information they many have about the incident, which Area One detectives can be reached at 312-747-8380.

Hours before the shooting incident on South Jeffery Boulevard, Chicago Police say that a 37-year-old man was injured in a shooting incident that stemmed from an argument on a CTA bus.


At approximately 7:50 p.m. on September 24th, the victim had gotten onto the #82 bus and had a heated exchange of words with another passenger. During this altercation, the suspect produced a firearm and reportedly shot the victim in his hip.

The victim was transported to Illinois Masonic Hospital, with officials saying he was at first in serious condition but has since been listed as in good condition. Authorities say that they do not have a suspect in custody regarding the shooting.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts