Chicago, Illinois – Words can hardly describe the audacious nature of this crime committed against a 71-year-old man.
Two teenage boys, 16 and 14, were arrested for allegedly carjacking an elderly man on February 21st.
In Chicago, carjackings have been on the rise in the last year – they’re nearly double so far this year what they were at the same time last year.
— Milo™ (@chasbottom) February 24, 2020
The incident took place last Friday on the Northwest side of Chicago, according to police.
The two juveniles had reportedly approached the elderly man as he was making his way out of his car on the 5900 block of North Sauganash that evening.
One of the teens then allegedly struck the senior citizen in the face and then threw him to the ground, taking the man’s car keys. The duo then drove off in his 2010 Toyota Camry, according to police.
The following morning at around 11:36 a.m., police had spotted the stolen vehicle on 6300 block of South Morgan. Police attempted to pull the car over initially because they had noticed it was driving on a flat tire, having not yet realized that they were behind a stolen vehicle. Suddenly, while the vehicle was still moving, the two teens bailed from the car and started to run.
After a foot pursuit, both of the teens were apprehended.
Since the case is involving juveniles, no names have been released of the suspects in custody. However, prosecutors did charge the unnamed 16-year-old with one misdemeanor count of criminal trespass to a vehicle.
The younger of the alleged criminal duo was charged with felony possession of a stolen motor vehicle and misdemeanor leaving the scene.
Authorities did mention that one of the two juveniles arrested was also already awaiting trial for a handgun possession charge. Police did not say which of the two suspects was awaiting said trial.
2 teens, 14 and 16, charged with carjacking man, 71, in Sauganash, Chicago police say https://t.co/7BgxQc9YhK
— Cook County Banner (@banner_cook) February 24, 2020
Chicago Police Department Superintendent Anthony Riccio commented on the crimes being perpetrated by the city’s juvenile population:
“The criminal justice system has to get serious about how they deal with some of these juveniles. A lot of what we see are the same crews doing it over and over again.
So, we’re gonna have to definitely address the problem of juveniles and the crime that they’re committing.”
The city of Chicago has seen a near doubling of carjackings taking place when comparing this year’s tally versus that of 2019 at the same time. As of this time last year, there were 67 reported carjackings in Chicago.
For the current year, there has already been 117 reports filed. That’s an average of roughly two carjackings per day going on in the city.
When it comes to trying to address both the spike in carjackings, as well as how to handle juvenile criminal offenses, Superintendent Riccio stated: “I can promise we will get to the bottom of it.”
But will they?
Earlier this month,nine people…nine…were shot and killed across the Windy City in just one weekend. It was the most homicides in any weekend this year and the most in a February weekend in 18 years.
Mayor Lori Lightfoot (should be lightweight) said that despite the carnage on the streets of the city this past weekend, she is confident that the police department’s leadership will “rise to the occasion.”
“This weekend’s crime numbers, where we saw so many homicides, and we saw a lot of shootings, were incredibly distressing to me. I’m not going to shy away from that,” Lightfoot said.
“I had a lot of very difficult conversations with CPD leadership over the course of the weekend, Monday and yesterday, and I’ve challenged them that they have to be proactive.”
On Tuesday, Lightfoot held a weekly accountability meeting with police administrators, and said that it was the first time that all 25 district commanders were called in.
The shooting spree came after 2019 was the third consecutive year that both homicides and shootings had dropped in Chicago. Lightfoot said she make it clear to department leadership that they have to use every available resource to prevent a significant increase in gun violence going forward.
“If they do not act in a proactive way to use the tools that are available to them—including community partners—that we are going to have a mess on our hands that eclipses some of the worst years of violence that we’ve seen in recent memory.
I’m not about to let that happen, and I hope they understood the challenge that’s before them,” she said. “I’m confident that they will rise to the occasion because they have to.”
Lightfoot dismissed suggestions that a crackdown on police overtime was any basis for the increase in violence.
Wondering why Chicago has a shooting problem? We did a story about just this issue a couple of weeks back. It’s called a revolving door criminal justice system.
Last Nov. 4, Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans said, during budget hearings,
“It’s not by magic that we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur using this new [affordable bail] system.”
Evans will never be confused for a prophet.
Since that date, seven different people who are currently facing murder charges were previously freed under the “affordable bail” system.
Crimes that they had been arrested for included charges such as Class X felony armed violence, unlawful use of a weapon, and repeated use of a weapon by a felon. You know, those so-called “non-violent” offenses the woke criminal justice reform nitwits keep talking about.
Let’s dig into some of these cases where so-called “non-violent” offenders were let back out on the street and people are dead because of it.
A year ago, in February 19-year-old Armando Lopez was charged with felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, felony possession of a controlled substance, and driving on a revoked license. This was after Chicago police found a rifle in his vehicle. Judge David Navarro released Lopez on a $500 bond.
While he was out, Lopez was able to get another gun, which he used to shoot and kill 32-year-old nurse Frank Aguilar, whom he thought was a rival gang member. The murder occurred on Nov. 13 according to court records. NOW Lopez is being held without bail.
Last April 24-year-old Josue Becerra was charged with having a loaded .45-cal handgun in his vehicle. Judge David Navarro released him on a whopping $200 bond.
On July 23, a man flagged police down and he told them that three men in a red jeep pointed a gun at him. Several minutes later, officers tried to pull Becerra over as he drove a red Jeep nearby. Officers said that he sped away, drove in the wrong lane, and went onto the Kennedy Expressway before he was stopped. He was charged with fleeing and eluding, possession of ecstasy, and multiple traffic violations.
Despite being still out on bail for the April gun charge, Judge Charles Beach let him go home by posting another $500 bond. Are we seeing a revolving door here? This time while out on bond, on Jan. 21, Chicago police were conducting undercover surveillance when they heard gunfire. They saw Becerra run past their unmarked car with a gun in his hand.
Police tried to stop him, but Becerra got into a car and sped away, eventually crashing in North Center.
The man who Becerra shot was left in critical condition. Prosecutors charged Becerra with attempted murder, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, aggravated battery of a police officer, and aggravated assault of a police officer. Finally, he was held without bail.
Let us then move on to Lafayette Hodges. Last April, prosecutors charged him with biting and punching police officers to were attempting to serve him with a warrant on the West Side of Chicago. In court, Judge David Navarro made a handwritten not about Hodges’ background on the case cover sheet: “juvie justice attempt armed robbery.”
In spite of that, the 18-year-old was allowed to go home by posting a $200 deposit.
While awaiting trial in May, he was charged with manufacture-delivery of heroin. He was again released on his own recognizance and prosecutors dropped the case in October.
Last December, two days after Christmas, Hodges fatally shot his girlfriend. Hodges told Investigators that he thought the gun was empty when he pointed it at his girlfriend’s head and pulled the trigger. Unfortunately for her, the gun was not empty. Hodges was so “distraught” over the “accident” that he ran from the house with the gun before emergency crews arrived.
Due to his juvenile robbery conviction, Hodges was not legally allowed to possess any firearm. Prosecutors only charged him with involuntary manslaughter.
Judge Arthur Willis revoked Hodges’ bail on the April case and set bail for the shooting death of his girlfriend at $50,000.
On Oct. 9 of last year, prosecutors charged Vertis Peterson with felony possession of a firearm during a narcotics act. He went free after paying a $200 deposit by Judge David Navarro. Are you noticing a pattern here? Navarro seems to have his hands on a lot of these dirtbags getting released on minimal bonds.
On Nov. 9, exactly one month later, Peterson, 26, got into an argument with a 63-year-old man who was walking down the 7100 block of South May in the city. Peterson pulled out a handgun, walked up to the older man, and shot him six times until the revolver ran out of bullets. The victim somehow survived, and Peterson was identified in a photo line-up, according to police.
Judge Charles beach ordered him held without bail.
Last Nov. 26, 24-year-old Ed Rush was charged with first-degree murder for shooting 20-year-old Rayveon Hutchins to death as he was walking down the street. At the time of the murder, Rush was free on a recognizance bond despite the fact he had previously skipped bail on a battery case involving a police officer. The Chicago Tribune also reported that Rush is on probation for a misdemeanor gun violation.
After being arrested for battering police on Sept. 22, a judge let him go by requiring only a $500 deposit bond. The judge? David Navarro. Rush failed to appear at his next court date, however, was released on his own recognizance on Nov. 6.
The last of the “not so serious cases” referred to by Chief Judge Evans involves the 2018 case of 31-year-old Israel Villegas.
In Oct. 2018, Villegas was charged with murdering a 22-year-old man in the Chicago suburb of Cicero while he was out on “affordable bail” for his FIFTH illegal gun case. Viellegas shot Diomar Rangel six times in the chest during an argument. Police were able to track him down and witnesses identified him as being the shooter.
Court records indicated that Villegas was free on a $250 deposit bond that a judge set after prosecutors charged him with his fifth felony firearms violation and obstruction of justice. He was also supposed to have been on electronic monitoring at the time of the murder as well.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!