Two brothers and third suspect captured in murder of Chicago police officer, shooting of second cop


CHICAGO, ILA third suspect has been taken into custody in connection with the fatal shooting of one Chicago Police officer and non-fatal shooting of another earlier in August, with officials identifying the officer that was killed while conducting a traffic stop.

Two suspects have been charged, and a third is not charged due to lacking evidence, regarding the fatal shooting of 29-year-old Chicago Police Officer Ella French and the non-fatal shooting of her partner that occurred on August 7th.

Officials have confirmed that 21-year-old Emonte Morgan has been charged with first degree murder, attempted first degree murder, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, and unlawful use of a weapon by a felon.

The second suspect charged in the incident was identified as 22-year-old Eric Morgan, who was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, and obstruction of justice.

Both Emonte and Eric Morgan, who are brothers, are slated to appear in court on August 10th for their respective bail hearings.

One of the two Morgan brothers were shot during the incident and was last stated as being stable after being transported to the Christ Hospital.

According to officials, the original traffic stop that preceded the shooting was merely over expired plates on the suspect’s vehicle.

The third suspect, who was only identified as a female passenger inside of the vehicle with the two suspects during the incident on August 7th, has not been charged due to officials citing lacking evidence of criminal culpability in the shooting of the officers.  

Chicago police Supt. David Brown noted that investigators are focused on the Morgan brothers for Officer French’s killing and the injury of her partner, saying:

“There’s one reason that this happened. One reason. These two offenders killed Ella French and tried to kill [the second and third officer] there. That’s the only person we’re pointing the finger at today. I won’t entertain finger-pointing at anyone or anything else. They need to be fully held accountable for her murder.”

However, federal prosecutors have charged another individual who allegedly purchased the weapon that was used during the incident that killed Officer French and wounded her partner.

On August 9th, federal prosecutors charged 29-year-old Jamel Danzy for reportedly buying the gun used during the August 7th incident in Hammond, Indiana, in March and then later providing that weapon to an individual in Illinois that Danzy knew could not buy or possess a firearm.

The Chicago’s U.S. attorney’s office confirmed that the weapon connected to Danzy was recovered from the scene where Officer French was killed, and her partner was severely injured.

Danzy appeared in federal court on August 9th under charges of conspiracy to violate federal firearm laws, knowingly transferring a firearm to an out-of-state resident and knowingly disposing of a firearm to a convicted felon.

While Danzy may not have been the trigger-man, he could be facing up to five years in federal prison for the charges he’s facing.

U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois, John R. Lausch, Jr., stated the following about the case against Danzy:

“Straw purchasers and firearm traffickers enable violence with deadly consequences. Fighting violent crime is a top priority in our office, and we are committed to holding accountable those who engage in illicit firearm transactions.”

Special Agent-in-Charge of the Chicago Field Division of the ATF, Kristen de Tineo, made the following statement regarding the matter:

“Tragedies like this happen when people straw purchase firearms on behalf of those who are prohibited from purchasing and possessing firearms themselves. ATF remains committed to working with our law enforcement partners and the U.S. Attorney’s Office to investigate these firearms trafficking schemes and prosecute those responsible.”

This is an ongoing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this developing case.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

We at Law Enforcement Today reported on this incident as it was first developing. Here’s that previous report.


CHICAGO, IL – A late night shooting incident on August 7th left one Chicago Police officer killed and another “fighting for his life”, according to officials. Police reportedly have two suspects in custody but have stated that a third person of interest is wanted in connection with the incident.

The incident reportedly occurred at approximately 9:10 p.m. on August 7th while the two unnamed officers were conducting a traffic stop in the area of the 6300 block of South Bell Avenue. It’s unclear as of this writing what the original traffic stop was related to prior to the shooting.

The officers, only identified as a male and female, were both shot while conducting the traffic stop. Both of the officers were transported to University of Chicago Medical Center, where unfortunately, the female officer succumbed to her sustained injuries.

As for the male officer, Chicago Police noted in a statement that he’s “fighting for his life” as of August 8th. The unnamed male officer reportedly sustained three gunshot wounds during the incident – one that exited his eye, one lodged in the back of his head, and another gunshot wound to his shoulder.

Officials say that the male officer is responsive, in that he is able to move one arm, but he’s currently intubated.

Police confirmed that two suspects were taken into custody in relation to the shooting, with one of the suspect’s reportedly having suffered a gunshot wound. A third suspect is still being sought on connection with the incident, police say.

Investigators also recovered a firearm at the scene of the incident.

Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown released the following statement regarding the shooting of the two officers:

“The Chicago Police Department has lost one of our own in an incomprehensible act of violence. A 29-year-old female officer assigned to the Community Safety Team was shot and killed in the line of duty Saturday night. A second officer was also shot and is in critical condition.”

“These officers put the safety and lives of others above their own, serving with courage and honor despite knowing the cost. Please pray for the family and loved ones of the fallen officer who will now face a world without her. Please also pray for the recovery of the officer who is fighting for his life.”

“I ask you to please hold their fellow officers in your thoughts as they process this heartbreaking tragedy. We will never forget the sacrifices these officers made to protect this city. We cannot forget.”

Chicago Police First Deputy Supt. Eric Carter stated that investigators are “struggling with the facts of this” and asked for the community to extend their prayers to the families of these two officers. Mayor Lori Lightfoot shared similar sentiments regarding the shooting, saying:

“They deserve our consideration, and they deserve our prayers every single day that they can return home safely to their families. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen tonight, and our heart aches for the loss of life.”

The identities of the suspects arrested in this case have not yet been revealed by officials.

This is an ongoing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this developing case.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Earlier in August, we at Law Enforcement Today shared a report regarding the violent weekend that preceded the shooting of these two Chicago officers. 

Here’s that previous report. 


CHICAGO, IL – Chicago played host to yet another violent weekend spanning from the evening of July 30th though August 1st, with reportedly 50 people having been shot, with five of those shot fatally during the weekend.

The weekend violence in Chicago kicked off with reportedly at least 11 people having been injured in various shooting on the evening of July 30th.

Moving onto roughly 1:30 a.m. on July 31st, at least four people were injured in a shooting that occurred at Jackson Park, resulting in all those victims being hospitalized at the University of Chicago Medical Center.

The Jackson Park shooting resulted in an unidentified male in “serious condition” after having been shot in his right leg.  The three other victims, cited as a 19-year-old male, 52-year-old female, and 20-year-old female were reportedly in fair condition following the shooting.

At approximately 9:25 a.m. on July 31st, a 27-year-old male, later identified as Demarcus Reed, was fatally shot in East Garfield Park. Authorities say that Reed was shot both in the head and the buttocks, which he was pronounced deceased at the scene.

A shooting that occurred in West Pullman on the city’s South Side at approximately 10:15 p.m. on July 31st resulted in one person being killed and two others being wounded.

Police say that a 28-year-old male was shot several times in the chest and once in the face, where the victim was later declared deceased after being transported to advocate Christ Medical Center.

As for other two victims, a 31-year-old male was left in serious condition after being shot in the chest and a 33-year-old female is in stable condition after being shot in the hand.

Hours later at approximately 12:20 a.m. on August 1st, a 32-year-old male was fatally shot in the South Shore area. Police say that the victim was standing outside when an unknown assailant shot him multiple times in the chest and abdomen. The victim was later declared deceased at an area hospital.

Minutes before 3:00 a.m. on August 1st, a 30-year-old male was fatally shot, and a 36-year-old male is in serious condition after a shooting that transpired in these city’s Near West Side.

The 30-year-old male was reportedly shot several times in the abdomen and chest, where he was later pronounced deceased at the scene, whereas the male listed in serious condition was shot one time in the chest.

The weekend shootings served as an unsavory cap to a month rife with shootings in Chicago, as there were reportedly 461 shootings incidents throughout all of July in the city.

While Chicago did see a minor decrease in homicides in July of 2021 as compared to July of 2020 (105 homicides in July 2021 versus 107 in July of 2020), the total number of shooting victims compared between the two years bears a concerning jump.

Reportedly, out of the 461 shooting incidents during July, there were a total of 614 people injured as a result of those shootings. Compared to July of 2020, there were 561 gunshot wound victims.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts