Three officers shot during overnight standoff as police rush in to save a child and two women


WILMINGTON, DE – According to officials, three Wilmington Police officers were non-fatally shot during a standoff with an armed suspect that started on the evening of June 2nd and went on to the early morning hours of June 3rd.

Officials have also identified the suspect involved in this armed standoff, noting that the suspect died from a suspected self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Police had responded to a 911 call that came in at approximately 9:30 p.m. on June 2nd to an apartment complex located within the 2400 block of North Market Street regarding an ongoing domestic dispute.

When officers arrived on the scene, police attempted to enter the apartment building and were reportedly met with gunfire by the suspect, later identified as 31-year-old Bernard Goodwyn. Three officers were injured as a result.

At approximately 6:20 a.m. on June 3rd, a fire truck ladder was brought up to a third floor window of the apartment building, where a child and two women were extricated by SWAT team members through the open window.

Officials say that a standoff between police and the suspect went on for approximately 12 hours, as authorities were attempting to negotiate with Goodwyn to surrender. Police eventually reentered the apartment building, where the suspect was later found to be deceased inside of the apartment.

Investigators recovered a firearm at the scene and believe that the suspect died due to a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The officers injured during the incident have not been identified by name, but officials noted that two of the officers are still hospitalized and in stable condition. The third officer was treated at an area hospital and released shortly thereafter.

Governor John Carney released a statement regarding the injured officers, noting:

“Tracey and I are praying for the Wilmington PD officers shot in the line of duty, their families, and their fellow members of Delaware’s law enforcement community.”

The Wilmington Fraternal Order of Police also issued a statement, prior to the suspect being found deceased, pertaining to the officers injured during the incident:

“The FOP has been with the injured officers and their families since late last night, we are praying for full recoveries. We are hopeful the suspect involved in this violent attack surrenders peacefully.”

Few details have been released regarding the deceased suspect, outside of his name, as officials have afforded little comment on the original call for service or possible motive for the suspect involved in the incident.

This is an ongoing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this developing investigation.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Officers being shot in the line of duty seems be a more common occurrence in recent months, a symptom likely stemming from anti-police rhetoric becoming more commonplace than ever before. 

Back in May, Law Enforcement Today reported on four officers that were shot while serving a warrant in Alabama. 

Here’s that previous report. 


BIRMINGHAM, AL – According to reports, four Birmingham Police officers were non-fatally shot while executing a search warrant relating to a double homicide suspect on May 16th.

Officials say that the suspect who opened fire on officers was killed during the shootout.

According to officials, the Birmingham Police Department had received a call at approximately 6:30 a.m. on May 16th regarding two gunshot wound victims at Brother Bryan Park located off of Magnolia Avenue South.

When first responders arrived on the scene, they had located a male and a female gunshot wound victim.

Reportedly the male was pronounced dead on the scene while the female was later pronounced deceased after arriving at an area hospital, according to BPD Sergeant Rod Mauldin, who said:

“When officers arrived, they discovered a female lying in the middle of the roadway. She was rushed to the hospital and later pronounced deceased.”

Investigators have reason to believe that the shooting incident that occurred at the park may have been some sort of an altercation that started over a dog, but officials say that the circumstances surrounding this altercation are still unclear as of this time.

The BPD sergeant said that after investigating the incident, officers had executed a search warrant at a residence not far from UAB Hospital for a male suspect believed to have been involved in the Brother Bryan Park shooting.

Upon executing the search warrant, the unnamed suspect had opened fire on BPD officers, directly striking two of the officers while two other officers suffered graze wounds.

Police officials say that all four officers were taken to an area hospital for treatment of their injuries which were described as non-life threatening.

During the shootout that transpired at the residence where the search warrant was served, the suspect, who has not been named as of this time, was killed.

Both the double homicide and the shootout between the suspect and officers are still under investigation.

Birmingham City Council President William Parker issued the following statement regarding the incident:

“We are calling on all our residents to take a stand against these hostile acts. This senseless violence must stop. We are continuing to monitor this situation closely and we are wishing all of the officers involved a speedy recovery.”

Public Safety Chairman Hunter Williams also commented on the matter, saying:

“The events that unfolded today exemplify the risks that the men and women of the Birmingham Police Department assume each day.

“Now more than ever, we need to rally around our department and officers, who are putting their lives on the line in what is often a thankless job to protect the citizens of Birmingham.

“I am extremely grateful that the officers will survive their injuries, and hope that the community will continue to support them — and all our officers.”

The officers injured during the incident have not been identified by officials as of this time.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further updates to this developing investigation.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts