Three officers who were cleared by the FBI and internal affairs are now being charged with murder


JACKSON, MS – This isn’t about justice.  It’s about vengeance.  

The Hinds County District Attorney individually indicted three officers from the Jackson Police Department in August before a Grand Jury.  They were charged with second degree murder in the death of 61 year old George Robinson, which occurred in January of 2019.

The officers are: Officer Anthony Fox, Officer Lincoln Lampley, and Officer Desmond Barney.

The District Attorney’s indictments accuse each officer of using excessive physical force, resulting in Robinson’s death, which took place two days after the encounter with police. 

Specifically, the indictments state that the officers removed Robinson from his vehicle and slammed him head-first onto the ground. 

According to the accusations, after slamming Robinson, the DA said that the three officers struck and kicked Robinson in the head and chest areas. 

JPD has disputed these charges, and conducted their own Internal Affairs investigation. 

The FBI also conducted an investigation of their own, to determine whether Robinson’s civil rights had been violated. 

Internal Affairs concluded their investigation, having found no evidence of wrong doing. 

The FBI also concluded their investigation, having determined that Robinson’s civil rights were not violated during the encounter. 

A committee of Jackson City Council members, overseeing civil services, cleared all three officers to return to active police duty. 

Officer Lampley was the only one to return, but is still on desk duty at this time, pending the outcome of the case. 

Officers Fox and Barney left JPD and accepted offers for full police duty with the nearby Clinton Police Department. The Mayor of Clinton, as well as the Clinton Police Chief, have been vocally supportive of the offices throughout this process.

The encounter came about during a manhunt for the killer of local pastor, Anthony Longino, who was shot and killed while opening up his church for Sunday services. 

Robinson was not a suspect at the time, but was discovered by the officers, involved in what they perceived to be a drug transaction.  The officers approached the vehicle, and directed Robinson to show them his hands. 

He ignored the directive, and kept he hands below his seat.  The officers removed him from the vehicle, citing noncompliance.  They filed police reports stating that they subdued him while on the ground, and handcuffed him.

He was released after questioning.  The officers called in a medical response team to assess his condition and offer treatment, if necessary.  Robinson is reported to have refused treatment.

WLBT reported that according to surveillance video at the Mustang Motel in Jackson, Robinson arrived there approximately an hour after the police encounter. 

Investigators were told that Robinson resided at the hotel.  The surveillance footage shows that several people visited the room throughout the evening. 

He was taken by ambulance to a hospital later that night, after his girlfriend placed an emergency call.  He died of a brain hemorrhage at the hospital two days later. 

The county coroner, after performing Robinson’s autopsy, ruled his death a homicide by blunt force trauma to the head.

District Attorney Jody E. Owens II, former civil rights attorney and former head of the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Missisippi branch, assumed the case after being sworn in January of 2020. 

He issued a joint statement about the Robinson case, and another high profile case that he inherited from previous DA, Robert Shuler Smith:

“George Robinson died on January 13, 2019, and Mario Clark died on February 14, 2019.
The previous administration received both cases in March of 2019.

Since being sworn into office this January, my administration has been actively investigating both cases and has been in contact with Mayor Lumumba and attorneys of the families involved.

It is the policy of the Hinds County District Attorney’s Office that all evidence generated from death investigations involving police officers is presented to a Hinds County Grand Jury to determine whether criminal charges against the police officers involved is warranted. 

The COVID 19 pandemic has temporarily limited the ability of Hinds County District Attorney’s Office to convene a Grand Jury. Both cases are being prepared for Grand Jury presentment and Grand Jury action is anticipated in both the Robinson and Clark cases in the very near future. 

In as much as both the Robinson and Clark cases are the subject ongoing investigations the Hinds County District Attorney’s Office will make no further comments until such investigations are completed and a Hinds County Grand Jury has taken action regarding the same.”

Clinton Police Chief Ford Hayman made his feelings known about the case, and the involvement of his officers, in a brief statement at the Hinds County Courthouse:

“We don’t want anything to do with a bad cop, and if I thought these guys were bad cops, we wouldn’t have hired them.  

When the facts come out, I think everyone is going to scratch their head and wonder how did this come about originally.  They’re going to stay on salary, they’re going to stay busy, and we’re going to go through this process.”

Clinton Mayor Phil Fisher followed up with a comment t of his own:

“I hope the press will spend as much time in the exoneration process as they have in the accusing process.”

 The Mayor of Jackson, Chokwe A. Lumumba issued a statement on the indictments on shortly after they were issues last month:

“Our administration is committed to ensuring that Jacksonians have an accountable police department. As part of our accountability process, the City of Jackson has implemented a policy to turn all cases involving officer involved deaths over to the DA for review by a grand jury.

The Hinds County grand jury indictments, issued today, begin another phase of the process. In the full spirit of transparency, the administration will continue to monitor the situation and provide information to the public throughout each phase. We ask that you keep all those affected by this tragedy in your prayers.”


California police officer charged with manslaughter after being forced to shoot criminal who had a weapon

SAN LEANDRO, CA – A California police officer is facing a voluntary manslaughter charge more than four months after shooting an accused shoplifter in a Walmart store. 

The Alameda County District Attorney announced Wednesday that she has filed a criminal complaint against Officer Jason Fletcher. 

In a statement posted to the department website, District Attorney Nancy O’Malley wrote: 

“The decision to file the criminal complaint was made after an intensive investigation and thorough analysis of the evidence and the current law.” 

The statement goes on to say: 

“When there is use of force by a police officer that results in death, the District Attorney’s Office conducts an independent and thorough investigation of the facts. We are mandated to apply those facts to California law.” 

Officer Fletcher’s body camera captured his interaction with 33-year-old Steven Taylor just inside the front doors of the store on April 18. 

In a matter of less than 40 seconds video shows the situation escalates to gunfire. 

In the same statement announcing the case against Officer Fletcher, the district attorney goes into detail about what happened in the minutes leading up to the shooting. 

It says on April 18 around 3 p.m., security guards reported a shoplifter holding a baseball bat. 

The shoplifter, Taylor, was reportedly trying to leave the Walmart with an aluminum baseball bat and a tent. Store security asked him to stop and return the products before calling police. 

The statement says Officer Fletcher responded. He got to the store as another patrol car was also pulling in to park. 

Simultaneously, inside the store, District Attorney O’Malley said two other customers tried to help Taylor. One of them offered him money, which he declined. 

He told security he would instead wait for police. He was still standing by the shopping cart area when the video shows Officer Fletcher walk in. 

The statement describes what happened next:

“He grabbed the bat with his left hand and attempted to take the bat from Mr. Taylor’s right hand. Officer Fletcher pulled out his service pistol at the same time he tried to take the bat from Mr. Taylor.” 

The video shows Taylor back away and Officer Fletcher pull his taser and order him to “drop the bat man, drop the bat.” 

The district attorney said Officer Fletcher first tased Taylor and then shot him in the chest just as back-up was walking in. 

Her statement said: 

“Mr. Taylor clearly experienced the shock of the taser as he was leaning forward over his feet and stumbling forward. Mr. Taylor was struggling to remain standing as he pointed the bat at the ground.

Mr. Taylor posed no threat of imminent deadly force or serious bodily injury to defendant Fletcher or anyone else in the store.

Defendant Fletcher shot Mr. Taylor in the chest just as backup Officer Overton arrived in the store.” 

She said the choice to shoot, coupled with a failure to try to de-escalate the situation, made the use of deadly force unreasonable. 

Officer Fletcher is scheduled to appear in court on September 15. 

Local breaking news reporter David DeBolt tweeted about the announcement: 

“BREAKING: Alameda County DA Nancy O’Malley has filed voluntary manslaughter charges against San Leandro Police Officer Jason Fletcher in the killing of Steven Taylor inside WalMart in April.

First officer in Alameda County charged in a killing since Johannes Mehserle.” 

A dozen Twitter users responded with mixed opinions. 

Twitter user Kevin Beck posted: 

“So charge him when one knows a jury of 12 isn’t going to find him guilty, waste of taxpayers money. They tased him twice and if he had a baseball bat in his hands and coming at the officers, all it takes is one person to find him not guilty which is easy to do.”

Twitter user Lance Manion, who says he is former law enforcement, responded too. His tweet reads: 

“As former law enforcement, I can say I was trained to shoot in this situation. It’s tragic for the life lost. And now an officer is facing felony charges for doing what he was taught to do. This sucks on every level. Just like our country right now.” 

It sure seems as if officers are ending up in no-win scenarios now.

Take, for example, what happened in July:

PHILADELPHIA, PA – The Philadelphia District Attorney, Larry Krasner, issued a statement Wednesday morning detailing charges filed by his office against a police officer. These charges were for actions of the officer, captured on video, during a Black Lives Matter protest on Interstate 676 back in early June.

According to ABC 6, Krasner said:

“Richard Paul Nicoletti, 35, ‘assaulted three protesters’ with OC spray, or pepper spray, while they were kneeling on the highway.

“Nicoletti turned himself in to authorities Wednesday morning, sources told Action News.”

The DA stated that Officer Nicoletti has been charged with one count of possession of an instrument of crime, and three counts each of simple assault, recklessly endangering another person and official oppression.

It remains to be determined if a charge of an instrument of crime charge will stick if the officer can prove that he was following orders.

FOP President John McNesby released a statement saying that the FOP “will provide an appropriate defense for Officer Nicoletti as this process moves forward.”

ABC 6 reported:

“Nicoletti was among the state and local authorities who responded to a large group of protesters who had walked onto I-676 and stopped traffic.

At approximately 5:00 p.m., the SWAT unit, including Nicoletti, wearing the full SWAT uniform and gas masks, arrived in the westbound lanes of 676 near the 20th Street overpass, investigators said.”

Video of the incident shows what Krasner detailed. However, no footage has been released showing what led up to the officer’s decision to deploy the spray on the protesters. 

District Attorney Larry Krasner wrote in an emailed news release:

“The complaint alleges that Officer Nicoletti broke the laws he was sworn to uphold and that his actions interfered with Philadelphians’ and Americans’ peaceful exercise of their sacred constitutional rights of free speech and assembly.

“The Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office will not make excuses for crimes committed by law enforcement that demean the democratic freedoms so many Americans have fought and died to preserve.”

But Nicoletti’s attorney tells another side of that story. 

Fortunato Perri said:

“Richard Nicoletti is being charged with crimes for simply following orders. His unit was ordered by commanders to clear the highway with the approved use of tear gas and pepper spray.

“The city’s leadership was given the opportunity to apologize for approving the orders and use of force but Nicoletti finds himself fired and charged with crimes.”

Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said that what she saw on the videos was disgusting, and has also apologized publicly for authorizing the use of pepper spray for the purpose of crowd control and disbursement. 

During that apology speech, Outlaw said:

“To that end, effective immediately, I’m declaring a categorical moratorium on the use of tear gas for the dispersal or control of crowds, which includes any persons who are peacefully assembling or passively resisting.”

Outlaw also said “the only time officers should consider deploying tear gas” is when confronted with an armed and dangerous individual.

We previously detailed that apology, shown again below. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

On June 1st, hundreds of protesters swarmed Interstate 676, a major highway in Philadelphia, causing all traffic to stop. 

Video footage at the scene shows cars backed up on an exit ramp, almost to the highway itself, a bridge covered in protesters.  The entire area was blocked by people yelling, chanting, and holding up signs. 

The State Police and the Philadelphia Police Department responded to the scene, ordered to clear up the roadway.

Upon their arrival, according to initial police reports, officers were met with people throwing rocks at them, along with their yelling and screaming. 

Officers were struck in the head with rocks and one marked State Police car was surrounded. 

Conflicting reports have been circulating regarding the vehicle: initial reports were that the trooper was stuck in the car, unable to move or get out as protesters began rocking it and spray-painting the windshield.  Other reports suggest that the trooper had abandoned his vehicle before the damage occurred.

Deputy Police Commissioner Dennis Wilson had command of the scene that day.  In early reports, Wilson stated that he witnessed violent acts being committed by the protesters and he heard officers reporting such on their radios. 

In addition, he heard the Trooper call for help as he was stuck in his vehicle in the middle of the crowd. 

Based on this information, Wilson authorized the use of a chemical agent and rubber bullets, less lethal implements of force, on the protesters in order to gain control and disperse the crowd. 

Protesters immediately began to flee up an embankment and out of the way of the police response.  SWAT officers were seen on a news helicopter video walking up the interstate in formation. 

Another SWAT officer is shown walking up to protesters, kneeling in the middle of the interstate and spraying them with chemical agents in order to get them to move as they refused. 

On June 1st, the Mayor, Jim Kenney, and Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw, both supported the use of less lethal force on the unruly crowd. 

Outlaw released a statement regarding the incident, stating:

“[Protesters had] surrounded a State Trooper, who was alone and seated in his vehicle, and began rocking the vehicle, with the trooper having no safe means of egress.”

Outlaw also stated:

“Members of the crowd began throwing rocks at the officers from the north and south sides, and from the bridges above the officers. The crowd also began rushing toward the officers.” 

With this and witness information, the use of less lethal force was authorized.

At least one leader isn’t afraid to let her police be the police.

Or so we thought.

This week on Thursday, Outlaw held a news conference with Mayor Kelley.  During the conference, Outlaw and Kenney both apologized for the use of forced used on protesters.

Outlaw stated that she now believes that the use of force was “unjustified” after watching the NY Times news video footage of the scene. 

Outlaw said:

“The second I find out as the leader of this department and organization that there’s contradictory information to what I personally came out and said … it’s important for me to come out and clarify what now I’ve seen.”

To further the apology session, Deputy Police Commissioner Wilson took his turn at the podium to speak on his decisions that day. 

Wilson stated:

“I didn’t call the commissioner. I gave the approval. And it was me and me alone.  For violating the rules of engagement and the commissioner’s trust, I’m going to take a voluntary demotion.”

Yeah. He said that.

Wilson’s demotion took effect immediately and he moved down one rank. Outlaw also alluded to the possibility of the SWAT officer seen spraying the protesters being terminated.

While parts of the nation may be in full support of the Commissioner’s actions and apologies, officers and the head of the union question if she made the right call.  It is no secret that the rank and file have little respect for the leadership within the agency. 

This is something that is not new with Outlaw, who came from being the Chief of Police at the Portland Police Bureau.

During a protest in Portland after a fatal police shooting, protesters blocked the roadways in the city.  One person, driving a Lexus, struck one of those who was blocking the roadway. It’s unknown if the strike was intentional or not.  After the crash occurred, protesters were seen chasing after the vehicle, striking it with batons, with Portland Police Officers standing by and watching. 

The officers did not engage in the incident and the driver left the scene, later filing a police report in which he lists $3,000 worth of damage done to his vehicle. 

When Chief Outlaw was questioned about this incident, she stated:

“The complexity of each demonstration/protest is different and requires thoughtful decision-making.  We will continue to review the most appropriate course of action and proper balance in our responses for these dynamic events.”

She had also ordered her officers to stand down so as to not “escalate tension” between them and the community.

Both of these incidents pertain to protesters blocking major roadways. Both had very different outcomes.

Based on her wishy-washy actions, it appears that Outlaw is still unsure of herself as a leader. In Portland, she under-acted and her officers essentially stood on the sidelines watching crime literally pass them by.

Then she goes to Philadelphia, and decides she would actually allow her officers to do what they were trained to do and get an unruly crowd under control and open traffic back up. But then after it’s all said and done, for whatever reason, she apologizes for it.

It makes no sense.

Maybe if we complain about it, she’ll apologize.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts