He’s 24-years-old, he lives on the street, and on Saturday morning, police say he made his way through downtown Manhattan armed with a metal pipe, brutally beating other homeless men to death.
Rodriguez “Randy” Santos is facing murder and assault charges after police picked him up just a short time after he attacked his sleeping victims.
But the suspect who stands accused of the vicious murders called himself ‘tranquil’ online, and those who know him say that while he has a temper, he’s a good guy.
Tell that to the four victims he (allegedly) brutally murdered.
“Yo soy un tipo trankilo,” Santos wrote on his Facebook page, according to the New York Post. But, the report noted, he added that he doesn’t play games.
“He has a temper, but he is a good person,” said Mayra, a childhood friend.
Sources tell New York Post the suspect in the killing of 4 homeless men is Rodriguez “Randy” Santos
Santos reportedly has 14 past arrests — 4 in the past year https://t.co/y54zXypCfH
— Natasha Fatah (@NatashaFatah) October 5, 2019
Santos has a record showing 14 prior arrests, with four in the last year.
One of his pictures says, “loneliness kills” in Spanish.
Additionally, one of his profile pictures is the Spanish translation of “The Key to Personal Peace.”
But it doesn’t seem like he was all that peaceful. But are his postings a look into what may have led up to the murders?
The string of attacks were discovered after New York City police received a 911 call just before 2 a.m. on Saturday concerning an unconscious man who was bleeding from the head and lying in the street of a Chinatown neighborhood.
Assistant Chief Stephen Hughes, the commanding officer of Patrol Borough Manhattan South said that the man had “severe head trauma” when he police found him.
While the officers worked the scene, a second victim approached them, also showing signs that he was a victim of a serious beating.
He confirmed witness accounts that a man dressed in black pants and a black jacket had struck the victims in the head several times with a metal pipe before fleeing the scene, Hughes said.
The second victim was taken to a hospital in critical condition and is expected to survive his wounds, but police say the first victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
As members of the NYPD began canvassing the area, they quickly learned that the incident was not an isolated event.
Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans? It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans. Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice. Check it out today.
They discovered that three other homeless men in the East Broadway area had been targeted in the vicious assaults, believed to have been sleeping when their assailant attacked them. All three showed consistency within their wounds, and all three were pronounced dead at the scene from their injuries.
As officers combed through the neighborhood, they located a 24-year-old man, now identified as Santos, at the corner of Mulberry Street and Canal Street. Police say he was carrying a metal pipe that was consistent with the the one described by witnesses.
At least 4 men, all believed to be homeless, were killed in Manhattan by an assailant who struck them with a metal object while they were sleeping early Saturday morning, a police spokesman said https://t.co/A9KYroKFJ6
— The New York Times (@nytimes) October 5, 2019
NBC 4 said that the officers were able to take Santos into custody without further incident. They say that he has a number of arrests for prior assaults, including one at a Brooklyn homeless shelter in May.
Police have said that the four victims, the injured man and Santos are all without a permanent residence.
Deputy Chief Michael Baldassano said that it appeared that the attacks were random and that all of the victims had been sleeping when the suspect jumped them, but an investigation into the brutal assaults is ongoing.
Presidential hopeful Julian Castro took to Twitter to say the attacks were not random, but targeted our ‘most vulnerable’.
This attack is monstrous, but it was not random. It targeted the most vulnerable among us.
It is our failure to treat people experiencing homelessness with dignity that left these individuals vulnerable to such hateful violence. https://t.co/0gLAdHVIwd
— Julián Castro (@JulianCastro) October 5, 2019
- READ: FOOTBALL STAR BOOTED FROM THE TEAM AFTER VIDEO OF POLICE RUN-IN WENT VIRAL. ‘WHERE I’M FROM, WE SHOOT AT COPS’
Anyone with information about the attacks is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS.