LUBBOCK, Texas – A Texas Tech student accused of shooting and killing an officer at the police station on campus was caught late Monday and is now in custody, police tell local media.

The suspect was identified as Hollis Daniels, 19. He had been brought to the police station after a welfare check when he suddenly shot and killed the officer earlier in the evening before bolting from the scene, officials said.

As a result of the shooting and manhunt, the campus had been on lockdown. However, it was lifted shortly after his capture.

Police had found “evidence of drugs and drug paraphernalia” in the suspect’s room, Fox 34 reported.

University Police Chief Kyle Bonath said late Monday that Daniels, was being processed for jail on the drug evidence at the TTU police station.

“During this time, the suspect pulled a gun and mortally shot an officer,” Bonath said. “The suspect fled on foot and later apprehended by TTPD near the Lubbock Municipal Coliseum.”

Daniels reportedly ripped off the officer’s body camera after the shooting, but police later recovered it, KCBD reported.

Bonath said the officer’s identity wouldn’t be released until relatives could be notified.

Daniels was tackled by a pursuing campus officer and was arrested near Jones AT&T Stadium around 9:30 p.m. CT. The lockdown was lifted shortly afterward.

Lubbock County sheriff’s officials told KCBD that Daniels is a freshman from Seguin, near San Antonio.

“The family of the deceased officer will be in the prayers of the entire Texas Tech community. In the coming days we’ll be offering our full support to that family,” Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec said.

Officials with Texas Tech Police, Lubbock Police Department, Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office, Federal agents, and the Texas Department of Public Safety were all called to assist.

After Daniels’ arrest, officials were searching through vehicles on the west side of the stadium. Sources say a gun was recovered, but it is not clear if it belonged to the officer or Daniels.

T.C. Richards, a TTU student, says he found out about the shooting and noticed there were many students walking around, unaware of the situation. He decided to drive around and pick up students and take them to their dorms. As a result, he said he pulled over in the parking lot of the Jones AT&T Stadium to send a text to a friend about the shooting. Consequently, he then noticed a man walking next to his vehicle who matched the description of the shooter.

“He walked out from behind the football stadium, between the football stadium and the training facility, started walking across the parking lot, in the same exact clothing he was wearing. He kept looking back at my truck. My headlights were on and he kind of walked pretty quick,” said Richards.

He said that is when he called 911. Within a few minutes, officers arrived at his location to ask him some questions. They asked him to leave the area. Richards said just a few moments later he received the alert the suspected shooter was in custody.

“They got the situation under control within the hour made me feel safe because I know they did their job properly and they did a really good job in general. So I feel much safer now knowing that our police officers here are taking care of us making sure we’re safe,” said TTU student Bahij Atallah.

Atallah was at the Rec Center on campus when the shooting happened. He was texting Richards during the shooting. He said the staff escorted those in the Rec Center to the basement to make sure everyone was safe.

The following statement was issued by Texas Tech University System Chancellor Robert Duncan:

Words can’t express how saddened I am by the tragic loss of one of our Texas Tech University police officers tonight. Terri and I offer our thoughts and prayers to the officer’s family and the Texas Tech University Police Department. I would like to thank Governor Greg Abbott, Lubbock Mayor Dan Pope and all of the law enforcement professionals from across the area who supported our campus during this time of need. Our Texas Tech family is strong and will support each other as we grieve.  

Texas Governor Greg Abbott said in a statement that his heart went out to the family of the slain officer.

(Photo: Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office)