Terminated employee opens fire at company and kills two – stopped by employee who used shotgun stashed in office


SUPERIOR, NE- According to reports, an employee at a grain complex used a shotgun stored in the business office to stop an active shooter during a deadly attack at the facility in central Nebraska on Thursday, October 21st. 

The shooting killed two of the gunman’s former colleagues as well as injured another. The gunman has been identified as 61-year-old Max Hoskinson. 

Hoskinson was shot and killed by another employee at the Agrex facility in Superior, Nebraska. The Nebraska State Patrol (NSP) was called to assist the Nuckolls County Sheriff’s Office (NCSO) and Superior Police Department (SPD) with a response to an active shooter at the Agrex Elevator.

Upon arrival, authorities found one person dead, Hoskinson and another person gravely wounded, and a third person with a minor injury. The gunman later died at the hospital in Superior. The critically wounded victim was airlifted to Bryan Health West Campus in Lincoln. That victim passed away shortly after arriving.

The victim with minor injuries was treated and released from the local hospital. The NSP is leading the investigation into the deadly attack with the assistance of the NCSO, the SPD, and the Nuckolls County Attorney’s Office.

According to investigators, Hoskinson returned to Agrex shortly before 2:00 p.m. and opened fired with a handgun. He was stopped by someone who used a shotgun stored in the Agrex office to shoot the gunman. It was reported that Hoskinson’s employment with Agrex has been terminated earlier in the day.

Officials stated that 60-year-old Sandra Nelson of Formoso, Kansas was pronounced dead at the scene. 53-year-old Darin Koepke of Hadar, Nebraska later died at the hospital. In a statement, Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts said:

“The news of the attack on Agrex Elevator in Superior is shocking and devastating. Susanne and I are praying for the victims of the attack.”

Bill Blauvelt, who publishes the local newspaper in the 1,750-member town, said the gunman and the three victims are all well-known members of the community. Reportedly, Hoskinson had been the chief grain merchandiser for the elevator and worked for the business for many years.

Blauvelt said the victim who died at the scene was a woman who had worked for Hoskinson as a merchandiser. He added:

“It’s a small town. We all feel the pain.”

On the morning of October 22nd, Agrex, Inc. posted a statement to its website:

“On Thursday, October 21, there was a violent incident at an Agrex facility in Superior, Nebraska. Our thoughts and prayers are with our coworkers and their families affected by this incident. At this time, the incident is being investigated and therefore we are not able to offer any further comments.”

Superior Mayor Chris Peterson stated that “everybody is kind of in shock” in the wake of the violent shooting spree. He added:

“But we will pull through this. It’s what small towns do. People help each other.”

State Patrol Lt. Michael Korte said investigators spent hours talking with witnesses, including the employee who authorities say shot Hoskinson. That employee was not wounded. 

Agrex, based in Overland Park, Kansas, operates elevators in four states, including the one in Superior and another near Norfolk. 

Editor note: In 2020, we saw a nationwide push to “defund the police”.  While we all stood here shaking our heads wondering if these people were serious… they cut billions of dollars in funding for police officers.  And as a result, crime has skyrocketed – all while the same politicians who said “you don’t need guns, the government will protect you” continued their attacks on both our police officers and our Second Amendment rights.

And that’s exactly why we’re launching this national crowdfunding campaign as part of our efforts to help “re-fund the police”.

For those looking for a quick link to get in the fight and support the cause, click here.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Armed citizen takes down active shooter outside fitness center, saving countless lives

September 24th, 2021

KALISPELL, MT – An armed citizen is said to have taken down an active shooter who murdered a fitness center employee earlier in September.

While initial reports indicated that the citizen who stepped in may have been a veteran, the man responded to those assertions saying he’s not a veteran – but simply “an American Montana man”.

According to reports, the incident occurred in the parking lot of the Fuel Fitness center at 1305 Highway 2 West at about 10:52 a.m. on September 16th.

The incident started off after 27-year-old Fuel Fitness manager Matthew David Hurley, along with his assistant manager Matthew Underhill, approached a vagrant sleeping in the rear parking lot to discuss a refund over an unused membership.

Apparently, the discussion became heated, as the vagrant was reportedly demanding more money than was being offered by the two regarding this refund.

When both Hurley and Underhill informed the vagrant that he wasn’t going to be offered anymore money, the vagrant allegedly said they were “going to die today.”

The suspect opened fire on the two employees, fatally shooting Hurley while Underhill was able to reach cover.

While this was going on, William Keck – a member of the fitness center – was going out to his car to retrieve his wallet. However, when Keck stepped outside, he heard the gunfire and another gym employee informed him that Hurley had been shot.

Keck then ran out to his vehicle to retrieve his firearm and told the vagrant to stop shooting – but instead, the suspect then allegedly turned his attention toward Keck and fired at him. Keck returned fire, striking the vagrant.

When the suspect was on the ground after being struck, Keck reportedly repeated commands for the suspect to stay on the ground and cease firing. Yet, the suspect fired off two more rounds, striking Keck once in the thigh.

After being shot, Keck retrieved his dog from his vehicle and went back inside of the gym to seek immediate care for his wound. By the time police arrived at the scene, they’d happened upon Keck and the suspect both suffering from gunshot wounds.

According to a statement from the Kalispell Police Department regarding their response, both the suspect and Keck were transported to Logan Health for treatment of their wounds. Keck has since clearly recovered, but the suspect was listed as being “in critical condition and remains under law enforcement supervision.”

When speaking about the incident to a local news outlet, Keck recounted what was going through his mind while engaging the armed suspect:

“The only thing that bothers me traumatically from this event was seeing Matt Hurley on the ground. In the exchange with him, I knew he had just killed someone. Who else is he gonna kill?”

Keck noted that if he had to do it again, he would, saying that having a firearm saved his life and others that day:

“My motto in life is to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. I firmly believe in the right to bear arms, and this is an example why.”

When addressing initial reports that suggested Keck was a veteran, he took to social media to clear the air, writing the following:

“I am not a vet. I’m just an American Montana man who loves his country and community and was put in a spot where God used me to do what I could. I’m not a hero. I just did what I thought was right.”

Kalispell Police Chief Doug Overman stated that his department will not yet release the name of the suspect until formal charges have been handed down. He confirmed that the case has been submitted to the Flathead County Attorney’s Office.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Subway employee suspended for defending herself against armed robber, pistol-whipping him with his gun

(Originally published September 14th, 2021)

ROCKFORD, IL – An employee of the sandwich chain Subway was reportedly suspended from her job after store security footage of her fending off an armed robber who tried taking her purse while she was at work earlier in September went viral.

Araceli Sotelo was at work on September 5th at approximately 10:30 a.m. when she was confronted by an armed male suspect who went behind the counter in an effort to rob the victim.

Video shared online shows Sotelo and the suspect get into a physical struggle after she was heard screaming “stop” and “he’s trying to rob me.”

During the physical struggle that makes its way into the lobby of the restaurant, the suspect drops his firearm – which Sotelo is able to quickly retrieve before the suspect could.

The suspect can be seen holding onto the victim’s purse while she has control of the gun, and Sotelo then cracks the suspect upside his head with the weapon. Reportedly, the struggle continued from there outside of the store and security cameras purview.

@yadalove07Share #fyp♬ original sound – Yada Love

The Rockford Scanner was the first news outlet to report the attempted robbery and share a copy of the video, which Sotelo shared a copy of that video to her personal Tik Tok account.

Sotelo’s mother, Sylvia Oviedo, shared an update via a GoFundMe account on September 8th, writing that her daughter was suspended after defending herself against the armed robber:

“My name is Sylvia Oviedo and over the weekend my daughter was robbed while working (alone) and she fought him off and he only took HER purse. Nothing from the store was stolen.

Her manager has now suspended her from work leaving her without a job after she heroically defended the store. My daughter now has a broken phone, no ID, no debit card and no purse and he (the manager) [refuses] to compensate her for any of it.”

Speaking to the local Fox outlet WTVO, Sotelo recounted the harrowing experience:

“He kind of just showed me his gun, and I was like freaking out like, ‘woah you can’t do that please leave, I won’t call the police.’”

“[He said] ‘give me all the money’ and I said ‘I do not have any money, like, I do not have any money.’ That is all I had and he was just like, ‘give me everything before I hurt you.’”

She explained how she used her weight and leverage to overpower the suspect, which she said after getting his gun, he tried offering her purse back in exchange for his weapon and clothes:

“He dropped it trying to hold onto my purse, and I end up pulling his sweatshirt off him and I was like ‘show your face, show your face, you are on camera.’ and he was like ‘here you can have your purse back just give me back my stuff.’

He wanted me to give him back his gun and his clothes.’ I just hit him on the head with it, that is what he was doing to me.”

Sotelo says it was after the footage was leaked online that her manager suspended her, reportedly telling her that the suspension will remain in effect until all traces of the store security footage have been wiped from the internet:

“I get a call yesterday it was like, ‘if every one of these videos are not taken offline you will be suspended,’ and then I texted them and I’m like ‘how long am I suspended for?’ They said till everything is removed online. I have no ability to do that.”

“They did not want anyone to know, they wanted to be private that it happened to me and that I fought back, but I think they did that because they do not want corporate to know.”

The robbery victim thinks that her manager is trying to conceal what happened to her that day:

“They did not want anyone to know, they wanted to be private that it happened to me and that I fought back, but I think they did that because they do not want corporate to know.”

A spokesperson for Subway didn’t confirm if Sotelo was suspended or not, highlighting that Subway locations are independently operated by franchise owners:

“We are deeply concerned about the recent incident at a franchised location in Rockford, Illinois. The restaurant owner and management are fully cooperating with the police investigation, and we request patience until that process is complete.”

“Every restaurant is independently owned and operated. We are in contact with the franchisee to better understand the situation and assist as needed.”


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts