He gave his life in service to Georgia.  Now police say they’ve caught his killers.

Deputy Nicolas Dixon of Gainseville was killed in the line of duty Sunday night.  Now three people are in custody and a fourth is still in the hospital following the murder of the Hall County Sheriff’s deputy late Sunday night.

Police say Deputy Nixon along with several other officers was chasing a stolen vehicle with several suspects inside.  That’s when their car crashed near the HomeTowne Studios on Jesse Jewell Parkway.

That car and those individuals were tied to several burglaries and automobile break-ins over the weekend.

Hall County sheriff’s spokesman Derreck Booth said after the crash, a group jumped out and started running… with the officers giving chase on foot.

The shootout between the deputies and the suspects started in the area of Jesse Jewell Parkway and Highland Avenue in Gainesville shortly after 11 p.m. Sunday, according to the sheriff’s office.

The deputy was shot and rushed to Northeast Georgia Medical Center, where he died.

One of the suspects, 17-year-old Hector Garcia, who allegedly shot the deputy, was wounded and taken to an area hospital. His condition is hasn’t been released.

“One of the suspects, believed to be the shooter, was hit by gunfire and was also taken to the medical center for treatment,” Booth said in a news release. “His condition is unknown at this time.”

Deputy Dixon was a father of two and a proud husband who had served with the department for three years. He was a husband and father of two. 

Deputy Dixon’s death is the 42nd officer-involved shooting the GBI has investigated in 2019, according to a spokeswoman for the agency. 

It’s also the fourth officer killed in the line of duty in Georgia this year.

Glascock County sheriff’s Deputy Joshua Ryer Jr., a 19-year-old from Gibson, was killed Jan. 29 in a two-vehicle accident on the way to pick up an inmate.

Just six months before his death, he had  graduated from the police training program at Augusta Technical College .

29-year-old Forsyth County Deputy Sheriff Spencer Englett died April 4 after suffering a “traumatic medical event” during a training exercise.

It was only his first day of training at the Georgia Public Safety Training Center in Pickens County.

Savannah police Sgt. Kelvin Ansari, who was just 50-years-old, was shot and killed May 11.  He happened when he and another officer were ambushed by a robbery suspect. Ansari was an Army vet and a father of four. 

Last year, a total of six Georgia officers were killed in the line of duty.

Anyone with information on Sunday night’s incident is asked to call the Hall County Sheriff’s Office tip line at 770-533-7693. 

In the meantime, police in Connecticut say that a man wanted for murder was caught with the help of a K9 Unit in Connecticut Monday afternoon. 

Authorities confirmed that Stonington and Groton Town police, including K9 teams, helped Connecticut State Police apprehend the fleeing suspect.  

The man was identified as Robert Donell Annunziata, 33, wanted on a felony warrant for homicide in Atlanta.

Robert Donell Annunziata, 33 (CSP)


Captain Todd Olsen said that Connecticut State Trooper pulled over a car on the side of I-95 that contained Annunziata, who was sitting in a passenger seat. Annunziata fled from state police and “ran across the southbound lane only once to get to the center median and get away from the officers.” He then reportedly then made his way across the highway and ran into the woods.

Then, a Stonington officer joined in to help state police apprehend the suspect, who Olson said crossed onto the northbound lane of the interstate.

Officers closed in around the suspect as he fled. Reports them came in from the Pawcatuck Little League complex that Annunziata had been spotted in the woods nearby.

Capt. Olson said that a K9 unit found the suspect in the woods. He was bitten by the K9, Olson confirmed. Annunziata was transported to Lawrence + Memorial Hospital in New London to be treated for the dog bite injury.