Suspect gets shot after taking police officers gun. NAACP blames cops and calls for federal investigation.


SAN DIEGO, CA– The sound of sirens and the sight of San Diego Police vehicles racing toward their own headquarters led Beau Doiron to grab his cell phone Sunday night. 

Dorion said:

“All we knew was over 30 police cars had raced to the police station. They were getting out. They had some big weapons and they were all running into the police station.”

A minute and a half after Doiron started steaming video live on Facebook, he heard gunshots.  Dorion said:

“It was like bang, bang, bang.”

Doiron has been quarantining in his girlfriend’s downtown apartment for the past few months, which overlooks the San Diego Police Department (SDPD).

According to the San Diego police, the incident began around 6:30 p.m. Sunday at the downtown Westgate Hotel, where security guards had used pepper spray to try and subdue a 25-year-old Hispanic man.  

Scanner radio traffic from a SDPD officer at the hotel scene described what was happening as the unidentified officer radioed into dispatchers:

“He’s now taken off his shirt and his hat. He’s in the lobby. He picked up this hand sanitizer stand made out of metal.”

Officers were able to take the 25-year-old into custody without incident. Officers then transported the man to SDPD headquarters, where he apparently was left unattended in the vehicle. 

Allegedly, the man was able to slip out of his handcuffs and smash his way into the rear cargo area of the police SUV.  He then tore into an officer’s backpack and grabbed a gun, police said. SDPD Captain Rich Freedman said:

“They went to go check on him and saw that the male was armed and they ended up backing up, drawing their handguns and backing up. It was during that time the male presented the handgun, the officers felt threatened and at least three officers fired one round, striking the male as he was seated in the vehicle.”

Authorities said the man refused to drop the weapon and fired at least one round before officers opened fire. He was struck by fire at least once in the upper body.

The man then reached out the car window and opened the door, exiting the vehicle with the handgun still in his possession.  After not complying with demands to stop, a K-9 was deployed. 

The dog bit the man before officers were able to handcuff him again.  Police said the man was taken to a nearby hospital with non-life threatening injuries.  The shooting victim is expected to survive, but SDPD has not identified him, pending notification of his relatives. 

Dorion, the man who shot the Facebook video said:

“It was really rough and stressful to watch in real time and I’m really happy to hear that the San Diego Police officers are all safe after a very stressful and tense night.”

The San Diego chapter of the NAACP issued a news release Monday calling for a federal investigation into SDPD policies and practices related to its handling of the incident.  The group wants to know why the suspect was left unsupervised in a vehicle and why the backup weapon was accessible in the back of the police vehicle.

No officers were injured in the confrontation. SDPD issued a statement that said, in part:

“The names of the officers involved in this incident are not being released at this time, but they have been with the department for 8 years, 6 years, and 10 months, respectively. The investigation and review process for an officer-involved shooting is extremely thorough.

“When the Homicide Unit completes their investigation, it will be reviewed by the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office to determine if the officers bear any criminal liability for their actions.

The Internal Affairs Unit will conduct an investigation to determine if there were any policy violations, and the Shooting Review Board will evaluate tactics used by the officers.

“The Community Review Board on Police Practices will conduct a review of the incident and provide any appropriate recommendations. The Federal Bureau of Investigations and the United States Attorney’s Office will also be monitoring the investigation.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity


Yesterday in San Diego, Law Enforcement Today reported on a shooting.

Although the identity of the male suspect has not yet been released, he is said to be a 25-year-old San Diego resident.  The investigation is still ongoing. 

Just because a suspect is cuffed – doesn’t mean they’re always secured. Officials from the San Diego Police Department reportedly shot a suspect recently who managed to slip out of their handcuffs after being arrested and gained control of a handgun.

On the evening of July 5th, officers from the SDPD were responding to a call of a 25-year-old male subject who was allegedly threatening security staff members at a downtown hotel.

According to SDPD Captain Rich Freedman, the officers who responded were able to detain the suspect without incident and get him into the back of a vehicle that was destined for SDPD headquarters.

Unbeknownst to the officers transporting the suspect, he reportedly slipped out of the handcuffs while inside the back of the SUV.

Apparently, in the backseat of the SUV happened to be an officer’s backpack that carried a secondary weapon. Captain Freedman detailed what happened when officers arrived at headquarters:

“They went to go check on him and saw that the male was armed and they ended up backing up, drawing their handguns and backing up. It was during that time the male presented the handgun, the officers felt threatened and at least three officers fired at least one round, striking the male as he was seated in the vehicle.”

Police say that the suspect was at least struck once by officers’ gunfire in the upper chest, but was said to have also shot once toward police as well. The suspect then reportedly reached out through the car window and let himself out of the police SUV while still in possession of the weapon.

Officers deployed a K-9 after the suspect did not comply with repeated commands to relinquish the weapon. The deployed K-9 bit the male suspect prior to officers being able to re-administer handcuffs to the subject.

The suspect was transported to a local hospital, having sustained non-life-threatening injuries from the exchanged gunfire.

Luckily, no officers were injured in the incident. The investigation into the matter is still ongoing, and officials have not released the identity of the suspect or the officers involved at this time.



Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts