Suspect captured after Georgia deputy ambushed, shot in the head while driving to work


Editor note: In 2020, we saw a nationwide push to “defund the police”.  While we all stood here shaking our heads wondering if these people were serious… they cut billions of dollars in funding for police officers.  And as a result, crime has skyrocketed – all while the same politicians who said “you don’t need guns, the government will protect you” continued their attacks on both our police officers and our Second Amendment rights.

And that’s exactly why we’re launching this national crowdfunding campaign as part of our efforts to help “re-fund the police”.

For those looking for a quick link to get in the fight and support the cause, click here.

PHENIX CITY, AL – A Muscogee County Sheriff’s deputy was reportedly ambushed in a shooting earlier in October, with authorities saying that despite being struck in the head during the incident, the deputy is expected to survive.

Authorities say that they currently have a 31-year-old suspect in custody.

On October 14th at approximately 6:10 a.m., a Muscogee County Sheriff’s deputy was in his patrol vehicle while heading to work when a suspect in a vehicle reportedly “fired several shots” into the deputy’s vehicle, according to a press release from the sheriff’s office.

Phenix City Police were called to the area of the incident, reportedly off of Sandford Road near the Post Ridge Apartments, where officers found the deputy inside of his vehicle that had crashed into a guardrail.

The unnamed deputy reportedly suffered a gunshot wound to the head and was rushed over to Piedmont Columbus Regional for treatment.

While the scene was being investigated, Phenix Police located a second vehicle that had been involved in a crash within the 1200 block of Sandford Road, with the driver having allegedly fled the area on foot.

At approximately 9:00 a.m. on October 14th, 31-year-old Jasmine Richardson had turned himself in to authorities and is currently being held in the Russell County Jail.

In the sheriff office’s press release regarding the incident, the unidentified deputy “is currently undergoing surgery, however, his injuries are not considered life-threatening at this time.”

Officials have not yet shared any details on a possible motive regarding the shooting. It’s unclear what exact charges the suspect is facing as of this writing.

This is an ongoing investigation. Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this developing case.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Suspect arrested for allegedly trying to stab Ohio officer through cruiser window

(Originally published October 13th, 2021)

FOSTORIA, OH – A 26-year-old male suspect was arrested earlier in October after authorities say she tried to stab a Fostoria Police officer with a steel rod through the officer’s vehicle window. The officer in question sustained some cuts from the broken glass on her cruiser window.

On October 11th, Fostoria Police Officer Jennifer Muro responded to an apartment complex on the 1200 block of Peeler Drive after reports came in regarding a possibly intoxicated male who was acting violently.

When the officer arrived on the scene, authorities say that 26-year-old Sophine Williams approached the officer’s cruiser and stabbed through the driver’s side window with a 12-inch long steel rod.

EMS reportedly arrived on the scene and tried to help Williams, but authorities say he remained combative. Despite attempts to flee the area, authorities say that police were able to apprehend the suspect.

Sophine Williams - Fostoria Police Division
Sophine Williams – Fostoria Police Division

The suspect was eventually transported to the emergency room at Fostoria Community Hospital and was later arrested under charges of burglary, felonious assault, and vandalism.

Officer Muro also received treatment at an area hospital for cuts to her face from the broken glass, as well as shattered glass entering her eyes.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Two Philadelphia cops shot, nursing assistant killed at Jefferson Hospital by gunman

(Originally published October 5th, 2021)

PHILADELPHIA, PA – Authorities say that a 55-year-old man shot and killed and coworker at Jefferson University Hospital on October 4th before fleeing the scene in a U-Haul truck and later wounding two Philadelphia Police officers in exchanged gunfire where officers also wounded the suspect as well.

Details about the incident are still developing, but here are the details known thus far.

On October 4th at approximately 12:08 a.m., Philadelphia Police were alerted about a gunman on the ninth floor of Jefferson Hospital at 11th and Chestnut streets in Philadelphia’s Center City. A nursing assistant, identified by family members as 43-year-old Anrae James, was fatally shot.

Reports indicate that the suspect who killed James was a coworker, identified as 55-year-old Stacey Hayes, was also a nursing assistant. Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw stated that it is unclear whether Hayes was actively on-duty at the hospital at the time of the shooting.

However, Hayes was reportedly wearing scrubs at the time of the shooting incident.

Officials proclaim that Hayes fled the hospital in a U-Haul truck following the shooting.

At approximately 1:25 a.m., Philadelphia Police encountered the suspect after a passerby at 40th Street and Parkside Avenue in the Parkside section of the city flagged down officers about a man in scrubs shooting into the air, according to Commissioner Outlaw:

“The report was that there was a male in scrubs, with a weapon or a long gun, who was potentially firing rounds in the air or just had a gun.”

When officers encountered the suspect, he reportedly opened fire on them. Two officers were struck by gunfire, with officials saying a 30-year-old officer was hit in the right elbow and a 32-year-old officer was struck in the nose.

The unnamed officer struck in the elbow is reportedly in critical but stable condition at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, whereas the officer struck in the nose was treated and released from the same hospital.

Both of the officers have been with the Philadelphia Police Department for six years.

The two other officers on the scene were not injured during the shootout.

Hayes was reportedly shot in the upper body and neck and has since been transferred to an area hospital, where he is expected to survive. Commissioner Outlaw stated that the suspect was wearing body armor during the firefight:

“We learned that he was wearing body armor, and was carrying multiple weapons. In addition to the long gun which was believed to be an AR-15, he was also carrying some form of a semi-automatic handgun.”

Hayes’ family reportedly told investigators that he was suffering mental health issues recently, and sources proclaim that Hayes was known to police and had firearms confiscated at some point due to psychiatric reasons. Hayes petitioned the courts in 2020 to have access to firearms restored, which his petition was successful.

Mayor Jim Kenney released the following statement regarding the incident:

“I want to acknowledge and commend the work of the first responders and police officers who responded to the horrific incident overnight at Jefferson Hospital. Their quick response in finding the perpetrator stopped this situation from escalating further.

Tragically, one Jefferson employee was killed and two officers were badly wounded-my prayers are with them and their families. Early this morning, I visited with the officers to thank them for their heroic work and wish them a speedy recovery.

The Philadelphia Police Department is conducting a full investigation. This is yet another example of weaponry that is far too powerful being in the hands of people who shouldn’t have access to them. We need common-sense gun laws to stop these tragedies that have become all too frequent.”

The father of the nursing assistant killed inside of the hospital, 69-year-old William James, spoke to The Philadelphia Inquirer about the pleasant memories with his son who’d come and cut his hair every two weeks – never taking a dollar for it, despite his father’s insistence at times:

“That’s some of the best times for me, where we sit down for those couple hours.”

William James said his son leaves behind his wife and two daughters, ages 2 and 17, and an 11-year-old son, saying “my son’s legacy is his kids.” William James said his son Anrae had a unique way of figuring things out, often getting his father to expand his perspective by trying to place himself in other people’s shoes:

“It was a beautiful, beautiful thing. And I ain’t gon’ have that no more. I’m not going to have that… It’s just not fair.”

A possible motive for the killing has not yet been released by authorities.

Please follow us at Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this developing case.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts