Insanity: State of Iowa forces sex trafficking and rape victim to pay $150K in restitution to her rapist’s family

Share:

POLK COUNTY, IA – According to a report from Fox News, an Iowa teen who is a victim of sex trafficking and rape, has been ordered by a judge to pay $150,000 in restitution to the family of the rapist she killed.

The teen, identified as 17-year-old Pieper Lewis, was sentenced on Tuesday, September 13th to five years of closely supervised probation and must pay $150,000 restitution to her abuser’s family.

In June of 2020, Lewis stabbed her abuser, identified as 37-year-old Zachary Brooks, more than 30 times. At the time, she was initially charged with first-degree murder.

In 2021, Lewis plead guilty to involuntary manslaughter and willful injury, both of which are punishable by up to 10 years in prison. At her sentencing on Tuesday, September 13th, Polk County District Court Judge David Porter deferred those prison sentences.

However, if Lewis violates her probation stipulations or commits another crime, she could serve 20 years in prison. Porter ordered Lewis to pay restitution to Brooks’ family because the court was “presented with no other option.”

Restitution is mandatory under Iowa law. When Lewis stabbed Brooks to death, she was 15-years-old at the time. She had reportedly ran away from home to escape her abusive adoptive mother.

She was sleeping in the halls of an apartment building in Des Moines when 28-year-old Christopher Brown took her in and began trafficking her to other men for sex. Among those men was Brooks, who Lewis said raped her multiple times before she killed him.

The teenage girl recalled being forced at knife point to go into his apartment for sex and after Brooks raped her for what ended up being the last time, Lewis grabbed a knife off a bedside table and stabbed him.

Neither the police nor prosecutors dispute whether Lewis was trafficked and assaulted, but prosecutors alleged that Brooks was not an immediate threat because he was asleep when Lewis stabbed him.

https://fundourpolice.com/

Iowa, unfortunately, is not among the dozens of other states that have “safe harbor” laws, which give trafficking victims some level of criminal immunity. Along with her probation stipulations, Lewis will have to complete 200 hours of community service.

From a prepared statement prior to her sentencing, Lewis read:

“My spirit has been burned, but still glows through the flames. Hear me roar, see me glow, and watch me grow. I am a survivor.”

Prosecutors allegedly took issue with Lewis labeling herself as a survivor, claiming that she failed to take responsibility for Brooks’ death and left his children without a father.

The judge also pressed Lewis to explain what he claims are poor choices that she made leading to the stabbing. He also noted his concerns that she sometimes did not follow rules in juvenile detention. Lewis said:

“I took a person’s life. My intentions that day were not to just go out and take somebody’s life. In my mind, I felt that it wasn’t safe, and I felt that I was in danger, which resulted in the acts. But it doesn’t take away from the fact that a crime was committed.”

She said that she regrets the stabbing, but “to say there is one victim is absurd.” While in juvenile detention, Lewis earned her GED and was unable to communicate with friends and family.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Police: Man who murdered mom and teen, kept young girl to rape her was previously deported illegal immigrant

August 6th, 2022

DADEVILLE, AL – Earlier this week, we brought you the story of a horrific murder and kidnapping scene and the escape of a 12-year-old girl in east-central Alabama.

In that coverage, we provided information regarding the suspect and his alleged immigration status.

Now, information is coming from immigrations and Customs Enforcement officials that not only confirms that information, but provides details of his past, as well as that of the family that was torn apart, and the lives lost through his alleged actions.

Police say that 37-year-old Jose Paulino Pascual-Reyes murdered his girlfriend and her 14-year-old son and kept her 12-year-old daughter tied to a bed for a week before she was able to chew through her restraints and escape.

She was seen by a motorist, who called law enforcement, who then discovered the gruesome crime scene.

Pascual-Reyes was in the country illegally at the time of these alleged atrocities, according to police, and he had been previously deported to Mexico in 2014.

ICE was also able to confirm to the Daily Caller that the victims of this violence were originally apprehended in 2017 when they entered the country.

They were scheduled for a hearing that has not yet taken place. According to the ICE spokesperson, the woman and her children were classified as “parole pending asylum” at the time of their deaths and the little girl’s kidnapping.

Local authorities were also able to elaborate further that Pascual-Reyes was not the father of the two children, who came to the US at the ages of nine and seven.

He was dating their mother, Sandra Vazquez Ceja.

Their bodies were found in their home. Tallapoosa County Sheriff Jimmy Abbett said that Pascual-Reyes lived at a separate address near where they young girl was found wandering after her escape.

Pascual-Reyes appeared in court with public defenders and a translator at his side.

https://fundourpolice.com/

 

TALLAPOOSA COUNTY, AL – On Tuesday, August 2nd, an obviously distraught 12-year-old girl was seen walking down a road by a passing motorist.

That individual stopped to help her and called police, waiting with her until they arrived.

“We try to preach this, if you see something you need to say something,” Tallapoosa County Sheriff Jimmy Abbett said of this good Samaritan.

“You don’t need to go down the road and say, ‘What should I have done’ and then you find out this happened, because I’m sure that there’s more motorist who passed her that day.”

That parable was told by Jesus and is found in Luke Chapter 10 (verses 29-37). It speaks of a man who was robbed, beaten and left for dead. He was seen on the road by two individuals who passed him by.

But the third man, a Samaritan, showed mercy and stopped what he was doing to help.

When authorities arrived, they spoke with the girl and paramedics took the girl from the scene to get medical treatment.

Using the information they received from the victim, they began to investigate, finding a grizzly situation involving not only the girl, but also her mother and 14-year-old brother.

What they were able to determine led to the arrest of the boyfriend of the deceased adult female, 37-year-old Jose Paulino Pascual-Reyes, who is believed to be an illegal alien who was previously deported, according to Fox News.

The girl was never reported as or considered a missing person.

According to NBC News, he is now charged with three counts of capital murder, two counts of abuse of a corpse, and one count of first-degree kidnapping.

He is being held in the Tallapoosa County jail. He appeared for a bond hearing on Wednesday. The judge ordered him held without bail.

While many of the horrific details have not been released, authorities have said that one of the victims was smothered while the other was beaten to death.

They said that 34-year-old Sandra Vazquez Ceja was smothered with a pillow and her body was cut into pieces to hide the evidence.

The 14-year-old boy appears to have been beaten and kicked until he died from blunt force trauma. He was also dismembered so that his body could be disposed of easier.

Sheriff Abbett said that the little girl was taken on July 24th and spent more than a week tied to a bed post. They believe that the suspect left her alive for the purpose of abusing her sexually.

While Abbett said that the man who is believed to have committed these violent acts kept her in her in a drugged state by forcing her to drink alcohol, she managed to chew her way out of the materials that she had been tied to the bed with, even breaking her braces on her teeth in the process.

It was reported that she had marks on her wrists consistent with having been forcibly restrained.

Sheriff Abbett hailed the girl as a hero for enduring what she did and finding a way to escape, while also discussing just how gruesome this scene actually was, calling it the worst thing he has seen in his 53 years in law enforcement.

“It’s kind of hard to put into words,” Abbett said Wednesday, referring to murder scenes. “All of them are bad, but this is horrendous. I’ve seen lots of lots of homicides and this is horrendous. I would say she is a hero.”

This story is developing. As updates are made available, we will provide them here.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Report: Kidnapper hits 13-year-old with his pickup, pretends to be an officer and forces the kid into his car

LOS ANGELES, CA – Authorities have reported that a 38-year-old man has been arrested for kidnapping after allegedly posing as a police officer in an attempt to convince a 13-year-old boy to get in his vehicle after hitting him with his truck.

According to the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD), the young teenage boy was riding his bike near Van Nuys Boulevard and Tupper Street when he was struck by a pickup truck that was being driven by Ottoniel Mendoza.

After hitting the boy with his truck, Mendoza allegedly show him a badge and told the boy he was a police officer. He then directed the boy to get into his vehicle. A statement issued by the LAPD read, in part:

“The victim followed the direction of the suspect and got into the suspect’s truck.”

Thankfully, a witness who saw the crash followed Mendoza and contacted the police.

The suspect was quickly located near Sepulveda Boulevard and Tupper Street. Police confirmed that he and another man were inside the truck with the 13-year-old boy. LAPD Valley Bureau Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton said in a statement:

“While the suspect was driving around with the victim in the vehicle, he picked up another male and just after that male was picked up, our Mission Area patrol officers found the vehicle and took everyone into custody.”

The young boy was transported to a nearby hospital where he was treated for minor injuries from the crash involving Mendoza’s pickup truck. Hamilton said:

“Fortunately, for us, a community member observed what occurred and called 911 and started following the suspect after he placed him in the vehicle. I sincerely don’t think he had good intentions. I think this could’ve ended a very different way had our officers not located the individual and had that community member not called 911 and alerted us.”

According to police, Mendoza was arrested and booked on kidnapping charges. Captain Matthew Plugge, commanding officer for LAPD’s Mission Area Patrol Division, said that an additional charge of impersonating a law enforcement officer is pending.

Mendoza was released on a $100,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court on July 27th. The other man in the pickup truck was interview by police, but was not taken to jail. Hamilton said that it’s too early in the investigation to determine what the motive of Mendoza was or what could have happened.

However, he said that he does believe they would be looking for a missing teen if it wasn’t for a good Samaritan who saw something and did something about it. He added:

“It’s probably likely that this individual saw this victim and saw the juvenile as a target and then created this traffic collision scenario. He took the juvenile into his car in a coercive manner, identified himself as law enforcement and then took off.”

Mendoza’s wife believes that her husband was just “trying to prove he was a safe person to get help from” and that he recently got the security badge from their church. Police, however, are not convinced and fear that this actually might have happened before. Hamilton said:

“Our concern out here in the community is that you may have juvenile victims where this individual attempted to kidnap them for whatever nefarious reasons.”

LAPD, who released a photo of Mendoza, is urging people to look at the picture and pickup truck in case there are any other potential victims who might need to come forward and contact authorities.


Fast food employee helps rescue kidnapping victim, and handwritten note leads to her captor’s arrest

May 19th, 2022

MEMPHIS, TN – On Sunday, May 15th, an employee at a Memphis Kentucky Fried Chicken was passed a note by one of their customers.

Turns out, the woman was not there voluntarily.

The man she was with, Diego Glay, was holding her against her will. The note was a handwritten plea for help. That fast food worker is being hailed as a hero for reacting to the note quickly.

The worker called 911, telling a dispatcher what had just happened. A few minutes later, officers arrived.

The couple had already left the restaurant, but the employee was able to give law enforcement a description of the pair. Officers immediately went on the search, finding them a short time later.

They approached Glay, who fled the scene, disobeying officer commands.

They were able to catch him after a short foot chase.

He is now charged with kidnapping and evading arrest. Glay was scheduled to be in court on the 17th. His bond was set at $35,000. LET discovered one source that said his court appearance had been moved to June 1.

Law Enforcement Today has not been able to find previous arrests for Glay after conduct a public records search.

Here is what we know about what is alleged to have happened before her rescue.

The 23-year-old Glay allegedly held his girlfriend, “against her will with physical assaults, threats, and being armed with a handgun,” according to the affidavit of complaint obtained by Memphis’ Fox 13.

She also told police:

“Diego Clay had been physically abusive towards her by punching her in the face. When she attempted to leave Diego…he took her phone and kept her from leaving his sight for days at a time,” the affidavit read. He took her phone when she came down for a visit and refused to give it back.”

Glay informed investigators that the couple had been living in cheap hotels around the city.

 

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Share:
Submit a Correction
Related Posts