Horrific gun fight shatters nativity scene at quiet neighborhood in Missouri caught on camera


KANSAS CITY, MO– On Sunday, December 13th, the seemingly quiet neighborhood of Fairlane caught a violent act on Ring Camera. 

A hail of bullets were exchanged between several individuals in the residential area of Kansas City. 

In the video, a jeep can be seen parked in front of a home, with men running around it firing shots. At the same time, a Ford Explorer pulls up and men seem to run from that vehicle as well. 

A group of individuals can then be seen jumping into the jeep as it drives away. In the attempt to flee, the jeep loses control and slams into a neighbors Christmas display, mainly their manger. 

The group from the jeep then jumps out and runs into the waiting Ford SUV. 

Tony’s Kansas City reported that a witness to the incident gave a statement which read:

“Three guys got out of black Jeep and three out of silver Ford, and exchanged fire (over 40 shots) with someone down the street beyond the blue house. Three guys got back into the Jeep but they drove straight into the Nativity, taking out the Three Wise Men and crashing into the white car in the driveway. The Ford picked up two of its shooters and, at the end, the third as well as the three from the Jeep. 

“Jeep driver seemed to get left behind.

“That’s how I saw it. Return fire seemed to split a branch on pine tree in center frame.”

Following what is seen on the video footage, police reported that a man was found shot and killed.

Officers were called just after 5 p.m. to the 9800 block of Cambridge Avenue after several residents heard gunfire during an outside disturbance, according to the Kansas City Police Department.

According to The Kansas City Star, the shooting victim was found in a vehicle that came to a rest in front of a home down the street, in the 6800 block of East 98th Terrace, said Sgt. Jake Becchina, a police spokesman. The victim died at the scene.

Sgt. Becchina said that after canvasing the neighborhood, police’s initial investigation suggested gunfire erupted when people inside two vehicles became involved in a disturbance. This is congruent with what is seen on the Ring video footage.

Detectives used flashlights to search a block long area for shell casings and other physical evidence that can help them solve this crime. 

Jackson County Sheriff Darryl Forté said in a post on Twitter, saying:

“I’m at a homicide scene near 98th Terr and Cambridge. Homicide detectives canvassing area for information. Another family devastated by violence,” 

The Kansas City Star reported that this homicide marked the 177th this year in Kansas City, which surpassed its record number of killings in a calendar year in October, according to data maintained by The Star, which includes police shootings.

This same time last year, there had been 145 killings in the city.

Rosilyn Temple, founder of the Kansas City chapter of Mothers In Charge, told reporters at the crime scene:

“This is outrageous; the whole community should be outraged,”

She went on to say:

“Every time there’s a homicide, everyone must come out of their houses … and make a stand, so people can see that we’ve had enough.”

Police asked anyone with information to call the homicide unit at 816-234-5043 or the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-8477.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Kansas City officer shot in head in July receives “Officer of the Year” award

November 14, 2020

Back in July of this year, we at Law Enforcement Today reported on two Kansas City officers that were shot, one of which was critically injured after being shot in the head

Now, over four months after the shooting, officials have released the name of the officer who was nearly killed on July 2nd – and he’s been named the “Officer of the Year” by the Metropolitan Chiefs and Sheriffs Association.

Here’s the details on this hero’s story. 

Back on July 2nd, gunfire had broken out near 31st Street and Van Brunt Boulevard just before 5:00 p.m. according to officials.

At the time, the Kansas City Police Department revealed that an officer, then-unidentified, had been shot in the head. 

On the day of the shooting, Mayor Quinton Lucas shared the following on Twitter: 

This has been a tough day for the women and men of [the KCPD] and the people of Kansas City. Please pray for our wounded officer, all of our law enforcement community, and their families. I thank them all for their courage and sacrifice.”

The officer was given a one percent chance of survival at the time, but miraculously pulled through. 

On November 13th, the KCPD revealed that Officer Tyler Moss was the officer that was shot during the evening of July 2nd. For reasons related to privacy, the department did not disclose his identity until recently. 

On the same day that the officer’s identity was revealed, Officer Moss was also presented with the prestigious “Officer of the Year” award from the Metropolitan Chiefs and Sheriffs Association. 

It’s certainly an amazing way to honor a hero that serves his community and beat the odds after nearly being killed this summer. 

We had previously reported on this officer’s recovery, prior to having known his identity. 

Here’s our previous report detailing the amazing strides Officers Moss made in the months following the July shooting. 


KANSAS CITY, MO – Back on July 2nd, a Kansas City police officer was shot in the head. He was immediately transported to the hospital where he had emergency surgery. On September 2nd, authorities announced that the officer is now walking and talking unassisted.

After the surgery, the officer was said to be in stable condition in the ICU and ever since then just kept getting stronger and stronger. He continues to build his strength and his mobility.

A spokesperson for the police department said:

“He has been talking and walking unassisted on his own over the past week. His progress is better than normal, he is on track to be back to Kansas City soon.”

They added:

“He will then go to a local long-term, outpatient rehabilitation facility.”

According to police, the officer is not paralyzed, but he is facing a challenge in rehab because his injury is making it hard for his brain to control the left side of his body.

The spokesperson said:

“The goal of his medical team is to get him ready to get back to work in some capacity down the road after his recovery. Doctors are pleased with his current progress overall, especially with his physical therapy.”

The officer has been at an out-of-state brain injury rehabilitation center and he is anxious to get back to Kansas City where he can be close to family and friends. He said that he appreciates all of the cards, gifts, and visits that he has received, but that he is missing having everyone around him. He is eager to get back to some type of normalcy.

The officer was asked what the community can do for him and he said:

“Actions have repercussions, so think twice before you react with violence and treat others the way you want to be treated.”

The family also appreciates and asks for everyone’s continued prayers and support. They said that the community has been a significant part of his healing.

One local mother and her daughter donated the $100 they won a on scratch-off lottery ticket to the officer and his family. The mother, Shetera Sims had only $7 in her pocket when she bought the ticker and won.

She then asked her daughter, Rakiya, how to spend the money and she said:

“We should donate it to the police officer that got shot for his family.”

Sims said:

“I want the officer to know that we’re here for him if he needs us. There’s more people in the community here for him than you can imagine.”

The officer was shot when he and other responding officers responded to a disturbance call in which a man was walking around threatening people with a gun. As the officers arrived on scene, the suspect ran and the officers pursued him on foot.

The suspect began shooting at officers and struck one of them in the head. Officers returned fire, shooting and killing the suspect, who was identified as 31-year-old Ky Johnson. 

The officer was rushed to the hospital by his fellow officers, which the doctors have claimed were crucial to his survival. Dr. Michael Moncure said:

“Five more minutes and he would not have had a good outcome and probably would not have survived.”

Doctors said that the officer had about a 1 percent change of survival. His family calls it a miracle. The family said in a statement:

“We have seen miracle upon miracle in the past three weeks at Truman. A mere ‘thank you’ seems not enough for a life, but we would like to thank all the staff at the hospital from the bottom of our hearts for the care, compassion, dedication to their callings and everything that was done to make this outcome possible.”


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts