Six time convicted felon arrested for carrying a rifle onto a bus in Chicago (spoiler alert: it’s not his first gun charge)


CHICAGO, IL – Officers looking for a man with a gun stopped a Chicago Transit Authority bus and found him and the gun he was allegedly carrying. When officers arrested him, they learned he had been convicted of six different felonies.

On November 25th, officers with the Chicago Police Department were attempting to locate a man who was allegedly carrying a firearm. Armed with suspect information, officers began searching the area and reported seeing someone matching the suspect’s description boarding a bus that departed.

Officers moved in and stopped the bus in the 3200 block of West Chicago and came into contact with the man who matched the description given, later identified as 42-year-old Jose Mora, who was carrying a blue bag.

According to Assistant State Attorney Michael Bagnowski, one of the Chicago officers believed that the blue bag which Mora was allegedly carrying appeared to contain a rifle.

The blue bag was searched by officers who allegedly located a Mossberg International firearm that had a 6-inch barrel. Officers also discovered there was a loaded extended-capacity magazine which was located with the firearm in the bag.

Officers checked to see if Mora had a concealed carry permit, therefore legally allowed to own a firearm. During the check, they discovered that Mora was a six-time convicted felon with two of those convictions, in 2004 and 2013, being for unlawful use of a weapon by a convicted felon.

Mora was taken into custody and charged with unlawful use of a weapon and the firearm seized. ASA Bagnowski reported Cook County Prosecutors are considering upgrading the charges against Mora to a Class X armed habitual criminal based upon his previous convictions.

Mora appeared in front of Cook County Judge Mary Marubio who ordered him to pay $15,000 before he was released. Once the bond was paid, Mora was released back into the community.

While Mora was not accused of using the firearm he was allegedly carrying, the situation could have ended like many others that were reported by ABC7 over the holiday weekend in Chicago which saw roughly 28 people shot, five of those people lost their lives. The first reported the shooting happened just after midnight on November 26th when officers responded to a report of shots fired in the West Pullman neighborhood.

When officers arrived in the 12700 block of South Halsted Street, they found a total of four people who had been shot during some type of gathering. Two of those people, who had been shot in the head, were rushed to Christ Hospital where they succumbed to their injuries.

The third victim was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center where they have been listed in good condition. The fourth, who had been shot in the leg, drove themself to the Roseland Hospital and was listed in good condition.

Chicago Police Detectives are currently working on the case and reported they have not arrested anyone for the mass shooting. Detectives have not released any suspect information nor any possible motive for the attack.

Shortly after officers responded to this shooting, the agency received a report of a deceased man in the 6800 block of South Prairie Avenue. When officers arrived on the scene, they located the man who was lying on the ground with gunshot wounds to his head and chest. Detectives have not released any information on their investigation into this murder.

Roughly three hours later, officers responded to a shooting at a home in Auburn Gresham on the city’s South Side. When officers arrived on the scene, they discovered that the 60-year-old victim had been arguing with someone he knew inside of the home when the suspect opened fire, striking the victim in the chest, stomach, and thigh. The victim was rushed to a nearby hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

Detectives located the firearm they believe was used in the murder which was abandoned at the crime scene. The suspect in the case was located near the crime scene and was taken into custody.

Another shooting was reported just before 6:30 p.m. in the 6600 block of South Washtenaw Avenue. The victim, in this case, a 17-year-old, was standing in the area when someone inside a car driving by pulled up and opened fire, striking the young man in the back. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he has been listed in good condition.

Another fatal shooting was reported just before 8 p.m. when officers responded to the 4700 block of West Harrison Street. When officers arrived at the scene, they located a 40-year-old man who was suffering from a gunshot wound to the head. He was rushed to a nearby hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts