Officer down: Sheriff’s Corporal Bryant Searcy murdered by inmate in Michigan


DETROIT, MI – We just lost another hero.

Wayne County Corrections Corporal Bryant Searcy was attacked while working in the Wayne County Jail by an inmate on September 2nd.  Sadly, Searcy succumbed to his injuries on the same day.

The incident occurred as Searcy was doing his rounds to ensure all of the cell doors were closed.  When he walked past one cell door he thought was locked, an inmate pushed the door open and physically attacked him.

The fight between Searcy and the inmate left the deputy with serious injuries, but police have not released any information regarding what those injuries were.  He was rushed to the Detroit Receiving Hospital.  Despite all efforts made, medical personnel were unable to save his life. 

WXYZ reports that two deputies are supposed to be doing the lockdown checks together, but for some reason Searcy was alone.  His partner was doing lockdown checks on the other side of the floor and WXYZ stated it took several minutes before they located Searcy who was badly injured. 

The Wayne County Sheriff’s Office and the Detroit Police department are conducting a joint investigation into the ambush style killing.  At this time, they are only releasing that the inmate was 28 years old and no other information.

Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon said:

“It is with deep sadness we announce the death of one of our own.  At the end of the struggle, we believe he lost consciousness.

“Big, big loss to this agency.  He was a consummate professional, very much a person who recognized that he was in charge of the care of inmates, but very professional in his interactions with them.”

Bryant was an 18-year veteran in the jail.  Napoleon stated that he was well liked and respected by all.  Napoleon added:

“The jail is a dangerous place.  I tell people all the time, we house some of the most dangerous criminals in America in the Wayne County Jails.”

Napoleon added that the jail, William Dickerson Detention Facility, was named after a law enforcement officer who attempted to stop an escaped prisoner and was shot and killed.  The murder of the law enforcement officer occurred in 1991.

Napoleon said that the jail population has been reduced as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, which leave those housed the most dangerous.  Without getting into specifics on the inmate who murdered Searcy, Napoleon did say that the man had a lengthy criminal history.

Correctional deputies at the facility will be wearing a mourning band over their badges in memory of Searcy.  The mourning bands will stay in place until he is bured.

Wayne County Under Sheriff Daniel Pfannes said:

“It is with heartfelt sadness and deep regret that the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office announces the passing of Corporal Bryant Searcy.”

Wayne County Executive Warren Evans said:

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Corporal Searcy’s wife, Sherry, and their daughter during this horrific time.  Words cannot express the magnitude of the loss and pain we feel today.  The attack on – and homicide of – Corporal Searcy is a jarring reminder of the danger the men and women in law enforcement face on every shift.”

Evans added:

“When you lose an officer in the line of duty – whether it’s a jail facility or somewhere else – it tugs at you, hits you hard.  It could have been any of us.”

Anyone who is willing to provide donations for the family of Searcy can do so online through the Officer Collin Rose Memorial Foundation.  The Foundation is a nonprofit which is designed to provide financial and emotional support for the family members of officers who are killed in the line of duty.

Cleveland officer and second person in his police vehicle ambushed and murdered, killer on the run

CLEVELAND, OH – Late Thursday night, an officer was shot and killed in Cleveland.

According to the Cleveland Police Patrolman’s Association, the incident occurred in the city’s Stockyard neighborhood, specifically the 3200 block of West 65th Street near Rose’s Discount Store.

Local ABC5 observed a vehicle crashed into a children’t playground. It was later reported that the officer’s car crashed after the shooting.

They reported that an officer was transported to the MetroHealth Medical Center, where he died from his injuries.

Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association president Jeff Follmer said:

“This one hurts.”

Reports say another man is also dead. The man has not been identified but was reportedly riding in the officer’s car.

While the officer has not yet been identified, it was reported that he has served the department for 25 years.

Through tears, Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams said:

“Cleveland lost one of its finest tonight in the line of duty. He was doing what all police officers do — trying to protect this city, and he gave his life.”

Past midnight, police reported that no arrests had been made in the incident and that they were actively searching for the shooter or shooters. Police are going door to door in the area looking for the suspect.

Anyone with information is asked to call 9-1-1 or the Cleveland Homicide Unit at 623-5464.

This is an ongoing investigation and Law Enforcement Today will update you as it unfolds.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

This is the second officer shot in about a month. Here’s Law Enforcement Today’s report on the last incident.

A Cleveland Police officer was reportedly shot during the early morning hours of July 20th, according to law enforcement sources. However, the officer struck is reportedly poised to recover just fine, and four people have already been taken into custody in relation to the incident.

Fraternal Order of Police president Jeff Follmer reportedly confirmed the incident with a local Fox news outlet. What’s known thus far is that the shooting happened around 3:45 a.m. near the intersection of E. 81 Street and Euclid Avenue in Cleveland.

Not much has been revealed with regard to what led up to the shooting, however some sources allege that the call started out as “unknown trouble” and officers may have responded to reports of someone shooting into someone’s door.

Reports of road closures have come in regarding the area of where the scene of the incident was.

Police have yet to identify the officer involved or the suspects taken into custody following the incident. Please follow Law Enforcement Today to stay up to date on this developing story.

Also developing this morning out of Lacey, Washington, the man wanted for murdering a Trump supporter in Portland is dead.

This, after a task force including federal agents moved in to arrest him in Lacey following the issuance of a warrant for his arrest.

Michael Reinoehl, 48 years old, a self proclaimed member of Antifa, was determined to be the suspect in the shooting death of Aaron Danielson, also known as Jay Bishop, who was a Trump supporter and a proud American. He was also a member of the Constitutionalist group Patriot Prayer.

It’s been reported that as agents from both the FBI and US Marshals arrived at an apartment complex as part of an arrest task force in Lacey with an arrest warrant for Reinoehl.

Apparently, when they encountered him as he got out of a vehicle, Reinoehl started to run before pulling a gun out and pointed it at the agents. This resulted in an agent firing his weapon at Reinoehl, who died from gunshot wounds.

Lt. Ray Brady of the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office said:

“As they attempted to apprehend him, there was gunfire.”

Lt. Brady said that four law enforcement officials fired their weapons, including those from the Department of Corrections, Pierce County Sheriff’s Department and Lakewood Police Department.

Reinoehl’s death came just hours after he gave an interview with Donovan Farley, which was posted by Vice News, where he admitted to shooting Danielson.

During the interview, Reinoehl alleged that he felt he was going to be stabbed. He stated:

“You know, lots of lawyers suggest that I shouldn’t even be saying anything, but I feel it’s important that the world at least gets a little bit of what’s really going on.

“I had no choice. I mean, I, I had a choice. I could have sat there and watched them kill a friend of mine of color. But I wasn’t going to do that.”

Law Enforcement Today previously reported on the shooting. The suspect, now identified as Reinoehl, can be heard on video taunting Danielson as a Trump supporter seconds before shooting him.

Additionally, it’s been said that Reinoehl was an Army veteran, but apparently there is no record of him having served.

It appears that someone has created a Twitter account in Reinoehl’s name following his death, as the following message was posted to his new account about four hours after he died:

“Holy fuck it is hot down here.”

Antifa and pro Antifa groups are treating Reinoehl as a martyr, saying he will not “rest in power.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Here’s more on the shooting incident brought to you previously by Law Enforcement Today.

PORTLAND, OR– Police are actively searching for a self-identified member of Antifa who gunned down a pro-police, Trump supporter during violent riots in downtown Portland on Saturday, August 29th.

Police have identified the victim as 39-year-old Aaron J. Danielson of Portland. He was shot in the chest as Trump supporters and protesters against police brutality and racism clashed.

It was the 90th consecutive night that Portland has seen protests.

As police continue to investigate, The Oregonian reported that a 48-year-old man who was accused of carrying a loaded gun an an earlier downtown Portland protest is now under investigation in the fatal shooting of Danielson. 

The 48-year-old, identified as Michael Forest Reinoehl calls himself an anti-fascist and has posted videos and photos of demonstrations he has attended since late June, accompanied by the hashtags “#blacklivesmatter,” “#anewnation,” and “breonnataylor.”

On social media and in a video interview with Bloomberg QuickTake News, Reinoehl described himself as a professional snowboarder and contractor who has former military experience, but “hated” his time in the Army.

According to reports, back on July 5th, at one of the demonstrations, Reinoehl was cited at 2:10 a.m. in the 700 block of Southwest Main Street on allegations of possessing a loaded gun in a public place, resisting arrest, and interfering with police.

According to court records, Reinoehl was given a date to appear in court for later that month, but the allegations were dropped on July 30th with a “no complaint”.

Unfortunately, the court documents did not indicate why prosecutors decided not to pursue accusations; he spend no time in jail for those incidents.

On Sunday morning, August 29th, Reinoehl’s 36-year-old sister was awakened by a threatening phone call from someone who told her that her whole family was in danger unless they turned him over.

The sister said that is how she found out that her brother was allegedly involved in the fatal shooting of Danielson.

She reported the threat and once she looked online and saw screenshots of her brother’s photo, she called Portland detectives. She said:

“We reached out to police and confirmed that we recognized Micheal in the screenshots.”

According to his sister, Reinoehl has been estranged from the family including her, their parents, and his younger brother for at least three years. She said:

“On the one hand, this whole thing surprised the daylights out of us because we always thought he was a lot of bark, not a lot of bite. But, he’s also been very impulsive and irrational.”

According to his family, he has stolen his mother’s seizure medication and owes a lot of debt. He has two kids and is separated from their mother. Police said that Reinoehl is also wanted on a failure to appear warrant from a June 8th speed racing case in Baker County in eastern Oregon. 

He and his 17-year-old son were racing in two different cars at speeds of up to 111 mph heading east in Interstate 84 after midnight near North Powder.

He faces allegations including driving under the influence of a controlled substance, recklessly endangering another, unlawful possession of a gun, and riving while suspended and uninsured. 

Back in June, he tweeted:

“I am 100% ANTIFA all the way! I am willing to fight for my brothers and sisters! We do not want violence, but will not run from it either! Today’s protesters and Antifa are my brothers in arms.”

According to reports, A “Trump 2020 Cruise Rally” was set to take place early on Saturday, August 29th. A large group of supporters gathered in Clackamas, Oregon’s Town Center around 4 p.m. Many of the supporters had American flags, Thin-Blue Line flags, and Trump 2020 flags displayed on their vehicles.

A long line of cars, motorcycles, and trucks left Clackamas and made their way around the rally route, which included the downtown Portland area.

The Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office announced via Twitter that people should expect traffic delays and avoid the rally route if possible.

This pro-Trump rally comes a few nights after the last night of the Republican National Convention (RNC) where on the last night, Trump gave his nomination acceptance speech.

Many demonstrators at the pro-Trump rally in Oregon said that they wanted to come out and provide a counterpoint to the other protests that have been happening in Portland for the last three months. One supporter, Mark Claiborne said:

“I’ve been fortunate to live through and vote in several elections. I can’t remember a time where the different between the two ideologies and platforms were so diametrically different.”

Portland Police Bureau (PPB) Chief Chuck Lovell said that police were aware that the pro-Trump supporter rally was headed to the city.

He said that he had his officers attempt to block the caravan from reaching the downtown area where violent rioters have repeatedly attacked officers for the last three months.

However, despite their efforts, a portion of the pro-Trump caravan managed to make their way into downtown Portland. Prior to the fatal shooting of Danielson, video footage captured several clashes between the pro-Trump supporters and those protesting against police violence and racism.

According to some witnesses, two men were yelling and have an altercation around 8:45 p.m. Shots were fired and a wounded man was seen on the ground.

Allegedly, the suspect fled the scene on foot. Once police were able to confirm that the victim had died, they immediately began a homicide investigation.

Pictures of Danielson from the rally show he was wearing a Patriot Prayer hat and he had a Thin Blue Line flag patch on the satchel he was carrying. Friend and long-time business partner, Luke Carrillo said that Danielson was a good and decent man.

Carrillo said that the two of them were like brothers; they shared a business and a house. He referred to Danielson as “Jay”. Carrillo also said that Danielson constantly wore a smile and always had a kind word; he was not a bad guy and his loved his country and his city.

The group organizers of Patriot Prayer wrote a statement on Facebook as the group mourned Danielson’s death:

“He had a huge heart. God bless the life he lived.”


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First


Submit a Correction
Related Posts