Sheriff calls new shields a ‘regrettable mistake’ after they’re simply spotted by rioters


MEMPHIS, TN – A local sheriff in Tennessee alleged that the mere presence of two non-lethal “e-shields” carried by law enforcement officers during a September 24th protest related to Breonna Taylor was a “regrettable mistake”.

Keep in mind, there’s no reports of the shields even being used – but just the mere sight of them by protesters is a mistake in the local sheriff’s mind.

Shelby County Sheriff Floyd Bonner apparently responded to outrage over these e-shields having been spotted. But, honestly, these shields shouldn’t be that controversial when considering what they’re exactly capable of.

Apparently these two shields that were seen were relatively new, but jail deputies have been using ones similar to them for literally decades, according to the SCSO:

“The sheriff’s office says it recently upgraded to the newest e-shields in July 2020 but has had other ‘less lethal shock shields’ since a jail riot in the 1990s. Members of the Detention Response Team are reportedly the only team in the sheriff’s office permitted to use the shields, and their use is ‘highly regulated.’”

According to the SCSO, members from the Shelby County Jail’s Detention Response Team were sent over to help assist with security related endeavors in anticipation of protests morphing into possible riots within Memphis on September 24th.

A mere two members of said unit had the e-shields in their possession and there have been zero reports of them actually being used.

Furthermore, if there was any sort of general police presence near the protests, it’s fair to say that those officers likely had a firearm on hand as well. But apparently Sheriff Bonner has “directed policy modifications that will prohibit those shields from being displayed or used outside of the Jail again.”

There also seems to be a modicum of disdain over the price of the shields, which is roughly $895 per shield.

But at the same time, the average cost of a handgun that police carry runs anywhere between $350-$550 – plus, e-shields are far less-lethal than actual guns.

Generally speaking, it’s hard to understand what Sheriff Bonner thinks to be “regrettable” about two e-shields that weren’t reportedly used having been spotted by cameras during a protest that could’ve gotten out of hand.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Because, as we’ve seen, these Breonna Taylor themed protests have devolved in riots relatively quickly in recent days.


LOUISVILLE, KY – Protesters have filled the streets of Louisville, Kentucky, since the grand jury declared that the officers involved in the death of Breonna Taylor were justified since they were being shot at by her boyfriend.

People who must certainly believe that officers should not be able to return fire have shown up in droves since Sept. 23, when the verdict was rendered. Reports are now coming out that the protesters want to shut the city down.

Protesters and police clashed Sept. 25 after hundreds of people, some armed, were involved in an assembly that the Louisville Metro Police Department deemed unlawful. 

When the protesters refused to disperse as ordered, the police used flashbangs to move the crowds along and keep them on the sidewalks. 

USA Today reported:

“About two hours before the city’s 9 p.m. curfew went into effect, a clash between police and protesters had already occurred as police used flash bangs to disperse a crowd, briefly blocked the route of a march, arrested two people and declared an unlawful assembly.

In a statement, police said the incident occurred because people did not get on the sidewalk when asked to allow traffic to flow.”

These protests happened after two Louisville Metro Officers had been shot  Sept. 23 in the line of duty.  One of the officers who was shot was able to return to duty the next day, the other is listed in stable condition after having had surgery.

Protesters announced Sept. 25 that they were in the city to close it down for business.  One protester allegedly said:

“We’ve come to shut this entire city down.”

A protester with a bullhorn was heard warning people to reconsider staying past the 9 p.m. curfew if they have any pre-existing conditions or did not want to be arrested.  He then added a chilling thought for those who were willing. He said:

“We are going to war tonight.”

The reason has nothing to do with “justice” for Breonna Taylor. It is because they do not feel that local business owners are doing enough to support the Black Lives Matter political movement.  So, in order to make sure that these businesses are woke, they planned to storm through, as they have done in Washington, D.C., and Texas.

Reporters on the ground noted that a large portion of the protesters ignored the 9 p.m. curfew that had been put in place before the grand jury decision was rendered. Despite the curfew, it appeared that police allowed protesters to do what they wanted and walk back to their cars without getting arrested.

Protesters complained when officers utilized less-lethal munitions and chemical agents to force them back into compliance with the law.

Hindering the police efforts in direct opposition to the law, a local church offered “safe space” to the protesters.

The First Unitarian Church in Louisville invited protesters and rioters onto their grounds to offer them refuge and free food. In doing so, they also aided and abetted criminals by helping them evade arrest.  A member of the misguided church said:

“We are offering a sanctuary space here because we feel like we need a space of love.”

The city’s curfew has been in place since the weekend before the grand jury decision was announced.  Democratic Mayor Greg Fischer has extended the curfew through this weekend. 

Only one of the officers involved, Officer Brett Hankison, was indicted for his role in the execution of a search warrant on Taylor’s apartment. Hankison, who was fired earlier this year, was indicted on three counts of wanton endangerment in the first degree.  His bond was set at $15,000. 

Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly and Detective Myles Cosgrove were not indicted by the grand jury.

For the past week, Louisville has been gearing up for the likelihood of “unrest” from the decision.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts