Convicted sex offender who lives in homeless shelter, was released on no bail after knocking out a man with one punch sent back to Rikers Island

Share:

NEW YORK CITY, NY – According to a report from Fox News, the suspect in a brutal sucker-punch knockout attack that was caught in video, and who was released back to the streets immediately following the violent act, has been returned to Rikers Island amid public outcry.

The alleged suspect, identified as 55-year-old Bui Van Phu, was released without bail on Thursday, August 18th. He was initially arrested on the night of August 17th on an attempted murder charge.

However, that offense was downgraded to a third-degree assault and second-degree harassment charge, both of which are misdemeanor offenses that are not bail-eligible under New York state’s 2020 enacted controversial bail reform law.

Video released by the NYPD allegedly shows Phu putting on work gloves on Friday, August 12th just before approaching 52-year-old Jesus Cortes, a Mexican immigrant whom he never met, and delivered a single blow to the back of his head.

The sucker punch was so strong, it immediately laid Cortes out on the concrete.

As of Saturday, August 20th, Cortes remains in a coma after suffering a skull fracture, broken cheek and brain bleed.

Democratic New York Governor Kathy Hochul, a strong supporter of the bail reform law that was enacted under her predecessor Andrew Cuomo, said that following the public outcry of Phu’s initial release she contacted Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark and ordered correctional officials to “immediately examine” if Phu violated parole conditions following the August 12th unprovoked attack of Cortes.

At a subsequent corrections hearing, a state correctional official told a judge that Phu was a member of the notorious Born to Kill street gang, initially founded in the 1980s by first-generation Vietnamese immigrations.

After that hearing, Phu was re-arrested on Friday, August 19th and returned to Rikers Island on Saturday, August 20th. At the hearing regarding Phu, Department of Corrections and Community Service Officer Nixon Ribera, said in a statement:

“He has a substantial risk of not returning to his parole.”

https://fundourpolice.com/

According to reports, Phu is also a convicted sex offender. State records show that Phu sexually abused a 17-year-old girl in 1994.

He was previously convicted of first-degree sex abuse in the Bronx in 1995 and was sentenced to six years to life in prison. He was paroled in 2019 and is now registered as a Level 3 sex offender, which is the most serious designation.

Upon learning of Phu’s past criminal record, Cortes’ siblings expressed outrage that their brother’s attacker was released to the streets in the first place. Veronica Cortes said in a statement:

“That kind of person shouldn’t be out on the street. I felt helplessness and anger and sadness because that person who did the damage does not know the damage he did to the whole family.”

Phu was also allegedly charged with criminal possession of a weapon and robbery in New York City back in the 1990s. Phu lives about four blocks from the restaurant where he knocked out Cortes.

He lives at the Help USA men’s shelter and works as a security guard.

In response to the initial release of Phu after knocking out Cortes, the president of the Maryland Fraternal Order of Police has called for the firings of those responsible for releasing such a violent individual.

Clyde Boatwright said in a statement:

“All of these people who had a hand in this gentleman being released should step down or be removed from office.”

With New York’s bail reform policies serving as a revolving door for detained criminals, Boatwright said it’s not up to judges to “step up and … put the guy in jail,” adding:

“The criminal justice system needs to address this violent crime and men like this should not be allowed to be on the streets to victimize anyone else.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Here’s your “bail reform”: Juvenile with violent history chokes a cop, walks free the next day

July 25th, 2022

Manhattan, NY – Patrick Lynch, President of the New York City Police Benevolent Association was not holding back in recent comments.

“If New Yorkers want to know why the chaos in the transit system is not improving more quickly, this is why.”

What is the “why” he was referring to?

Over the weekend, a couple of 16-year-old kids were seen trying to skip the turnstile in the New York Metro System 125th Street/Lexington Avenue station. Police detained them and the young man became verbally aggressive.

When officers attempted to arrest the youth, he became combative.

That is when he squared off and began to throw punches at the male officer.

His female friend then engaged with the female officer on the scene. She also managed to land a few punches on the male officer before being pulled away.

As is the norm in places like New York, when the police are involved, bystanders sat idly by, recording things on their cell phones rather than offering any form of assistance.

The video we are about to show may be disturbing.

Now that you have seen the video, you can understand Lynch’s anger. Cops are literally being assaulted by kids for doing their jobs. But that isn’t all that had Lynch riled up.

As we are seeing as the new norm in many Democrat-controlled cities, the young man was finally subdued, arrested and taken to jail.

He was charged with assault on a police officer, obstruction of governmental administration, and resisting arrest.

Turns out, he has previous arrests for possession of a loaded gun and robbery. But that just doesn’t matter in places like New York.

As reported by the New York Post, the next day, the young man was released. He didn’t post bail, because they didn’t set one. The 16-year-old with a developing pattern for violence was released on personal recognizance.

That move by the courts led to Lynch’s follow up comment.

“The criminals underground know they can get in a brawl, choke a cop and be back out in hours. Cops are putting ourselves on the line to make the subways safer, but we are feeling abandoned by a justice system that won’t back us up.”

The girl that was also involved in the assault was charged with the same three counts. There has been no word on her status.

Both officers were taken to a local hospital and were treated and released. The male officer received numerous areas of bruising and swelling.

Not everyone was overly concerned by the assault on the officers, with one Twitter user commenting:

“That’s literally what they’re paid for.”

And that single comment sums up much of the misguided thinking aimed at law enforcement: “Hey, this is what cops signed up for, right?”

Law Enforcement Today will continue to follow this story to see if the suspect shows up for his next hearing or if he skips out.

https://fundourpolice.com/

For more on the dangers of personal recognizance releases, we encourage you to

DIG DEEPER

Two suspected fentanyl dealers from Mexican cartel skip arraignment after walking on cashless bail

 

TULARE COUNTY, CA – Two Washington men were arrested during a traffic stop in Tulare Country, California, between Bakersfield and Fresno.

The 25-year-old Jose Zendejas and Benito Madrigal, 19, were caught on June 24th with approximately 150,000 fentanyl pills.

They were released on their own recognizance less than a day of their arrest, despite having been busted with nearly $750,000 worth of drugs in their car. They were also in possession of two kilograms of cocaine.

They were each charged with one count of sale/transportation/offer to sell controlled substance (fentanyl); for the cocaine, one count of transport for sale/non-contiguous county (with the special allegations that the weight exceeded one kilogram) and one count of sale/transportation/offer to sell controlled substance (with the special allegations that the weight exceeded one kilogram); and one count of false compartment activity.

If convicted, they could face up to 14 years in prison.

Their bail was originally set at $1M each, but the county’s probation department’s risk assessment deemed them both low risk for flight.

Fast forward to Thursday, July 21st. That is when their arraignment was scheduled.

Want to take a wild guess as to who did not show up?

Three-quarters of a million dollars-worth of drugs, out of state suspects, and personal recognizance bonds. What could go wrong?

The Tulare County Sheriff Mike Boudreaux said he was not anticipating the pair in court. He blamed California’s soft-on-crime legislation for the gaff.

“I didn’t learn about the order until it was far too late,” he told Fox News regarding the PR bond.

“I couldn’t believe we had 150,00 fentanyl pills — one of the most dangerous epidemics facing our nation today — with people in custody that we may potentially be able to impact the future of this type of drug trafficking organization… and we let them go.”

Sheriff Boudreaux was joined in his frustration by the county’s District Attorney, Tim Ward.

“Although there is a need for a pre-trial release program, to do it covertly in the middle of the night in a very nontransparent matter is extremely dangerous,” Ward said.

“What we discovered here was that it [the defendant’s release] was occurring based on a decision without any foundation of the facts of the case. And I think going forward, I think everyone is realizing that’s a mistake and should not continue.” 

Now, warrants have been issued for both men and the judge has already rescinded the original bail order and has stated that if they are apprehended, they will be held on no bond.

Ward told Fox that the criminals have to have some skin in the game. Otherwise, they will continue to walk if given the opportunity.

“The problem is once again the legislature and the state of California are trying to go down some social experiment born on the back of law-abiding citizens,” Ward said.

“I go out on a limb and say that had these defendants been subject to the million bail that was in place when they were arrested, and they made bail based on that amount, they would have some skin in the game, some financial obligation and motivation to return to court.” 

Both Tulare County officials say that they were not consulted prior to the June release.

This is an ongoing story. We will continue to follow for updates. Should Zendejas and Madrigal be captured, we will provide those details here.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

For more on large fentanyl busts in California, we urge you to

DIG DEEPER

Democrat-run California: DEA seizes one million Fentanyl-laced pills in record drug bust

LOS ANGELES, CA – The DEA announced they have seized approximately one million fentanyl laced pills.

This is the largest fentanyl drug bust to date. It also symbolizes the drug cartels’ commitment to flooding America with extremely dangerous drugs.

Fentanyl is a powerful man-made opioid. It was originally designed to help people overcome the agony associated with complex surgeries and even those battling late-stage cancer.

But of course criminals found a way to cash in.

In a statement provided by Steve Murphy, friend of LET and retired DEA  agent known for hunting down Escobar (as retold in Netflix’s Narcos series) said:

“Fentanyl is the latest scourge that criminals are using to attack us- criminals from Mexico, and their partners in China. These lowlifes have no intention of backing off.  They are ruthless, they torture and murder innocent people, they corrupt entire governments, and it’s all about them.”

Fentanyl is now a cash cow for the illegal drug industry. Drug cartels have shown a new level of criminal creativity by producing fentanyl laced pills that look like pharmaceutical grade painkillers.

Common prescription drugs such as Percocet, Vicodin, Oxycontin, among other drugs, are replicated. These pills share the same size, shape, color and even stamp of legitimate painkillers.

This poses a dangerous hazard to unsuspecting people, especially oblivious teenagers looking for something to do on a quiet summer night.

In a statement issued by the DEA’s special agent in charge Bill Bodner:

“The deceptive marketing coupled with the ease of accessibility makes these small and seemingly innocuous pills a significant threat to the health and safety of all our communities. A staggering number of teens and young adults are unaware that they are ingesting fentanyl in these fake pills and are being poisoned.”

That’s like a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

The LEO Reminder

Fentanyl is no mystery to the law enforcement community. Every law enforcement officer knows that a small dose of fentanyl can be lethal, even if only inhaled.

There are numerous reports of officers coming into contact with the lethal drug and requiring emergency medical help and the use of Narcan.

A video was released by the San Diego Police Department of an officer that nearly died from fentanyl exposure. All law enforcement officers, especially LAPD officers, must be vigilant when dealing with drug related incidents.

According to the DEA press release:

“The greater Los Angeles area is a major transshipment hub where illegal drugs coming from the southwest border are stored in local warehouses, storage units, and residential properties. The bulk shipments of drugs are usually broken down into smaller quantities and transported to other states or distributed to local dealers.

The greater Los Angeles area has many international airports, freeways, and bus and train lines that make it easy for shipments to be smuggled to other destinations.”

Add that to California’s liberal ‘soft on crime’ policies, LA’s open drug use scene, and their anti-police sentiment. Now you have the perfect spot for sophisticated drug networks looking for a place to plant their drug organization’s flag.

Steve Murphy added:

“As always, DEA is committed to stopping illegal narcotics from coming into the US, drugs that poison and kill our citizens.  It’s a never-ending battle because our country is the leading consumer country in the world of illegal and dangerous substances.  But DEA and its partners will never stop, even when it’s personnel are attacked and oftentimes killed.  God bless the men and women on the front lines!”

All law enforcement officers must take every pill, powder and unknown substance seriously because of the potential hazards involved.

Even though this is the largest fentanyl drug bust to date, it raises the question- how much of it is still out there?

 

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First

 

Share:
Submit a Correction
Related Posts