PHOENIX – The Phoenix Police Department is trying to catch a serial killer. They currently have a person on their radar in connection with a series of shootings that occurred in 2016 claiming seven lives, according to a law enforcement source speaking to ABC News.

In July, Phoenix PD announced that it was searching for a gunman believed to be responsible for a string of shootings, all of which occurred in the same neighborhood.

The same gunman is believed to be responsible for at least nine shooting incidents that killed seven people between March 2016 and June 2016.

With a break in murders attributed to the same killer, the natural inclination might be to look at people that are in custody. As such, the man being questioned by police is already in jail, but has not been declared a suspect, according to police.

The first attack occurred on March 17, 2016, when a 16-year-old was shot while walking around 11:30 p.m. The teen survived the shooting. Police have said a majority of the shootings followed a similar pattern. But sadly most of the victims have died.

In July, detectives released a composite sketch (feature image) of the suspect with the help of a witness. The suspect had been described as a white male in his early 20s with a skinny or lanky build.

What remains unclear is whether the victims were targeted or selected at random, reported ABC News.

Detectives still seek tips from the public as the investigation continues. The Phoenix Police Department had offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to the suspect’s arrest.

“Someone out there knows who did this. We need our community to call us or Silent Witness and help us solve these cases, bring justice to these families and victims and prevent more violence from occurring,” said then Phoenix Police Chief Joseph Yahner in July 2016.

(Composite sketch Phoenix Police Department)

GovX