BATON ROUGE, La. – Authorities in Baton Rouge are still investigating the details of a shooting that landed a police sergeant in the hospital on Monday night. 

Details are still coming in, but here’s what we know so far.

The incident began shortly before 8 p.m. on Monday when Baton Rouge Police were called to the scene of a domestic disturbance between a man and a woman at a home on the 900 block of Geranium Street. 

At some point while the officers were conducting their investigation into the call, a man inside the home allegedly pulled a firearm and opened fire, somehow only striking the sergeant in the leg.


Local residents who overheard the situation spoke with The Advocate about what they witnessed.

“My roommate and I were sitting on the couch when we heard the shots ring out in succession, like someone unloading an entire clip,” one neighbor said. “And then a few moments later a couple more shots.”

The suspect reportedly tried to flee, but officers quickly surrounded the area. 

Police vehicles, including a SWAT team poured into the area as the call went out that shots were fired and an officer was down. One witness said as time went on, more and more units showed up at the chaotic scene.


Authorities say a SWAT vehicle was used to breach the door just before 9 p.m. Officers were able to then successfully take the alleged shooter into custody. The woman inside the home was also detained, but is not facing any criminal charges. She is being questioned about the details of Monday’s standoff. 

After the man and woman were safely taken into custody, police began to cordon off the scene with police tape.


A Baton Rouge sergeant was rushed to the hospital Monday after being shot in the leg. (Wikipedia)


Baton Rouge police spokesman Sgt. L’Jean McKneely said that the officer’s injuries were not life threatening. The injured officer was transported to Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center to receive medical attention. 

“You just don’t know the extent of a person’s mind when they’re dealing with a domestic type situation,” McKneely said. “You don’t know how far he or she may want to take it.”

Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome released the following statement on Monday.

“I’ve gone to the hospital where the officer was taken and met with him and his family. Please keep them in prayer as he begins his journey of recovery.” 

The Baton Rouge sergeant was not the only member of law enforcement to be attacked and taken to the hospital on Monday. 

A Shelby County Sheriff’s deputy was rushed to a Tennessee hospital after he was stabbed by a suspect… but not before managed to take that suspect down.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.

A cop was attacked when he responded to a call. Then SWAT stepped in.


Officials confirmed that a deputy who was working on 4th Street in downtown Memphis got caught up in the altercation after he recognized a suspect from a recent assault. Shelby County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Anthony Buckner says that the deputy was patrolling the area.

When the deputy approached the suspect, the individual reportedly pulled a knife and lashed out, stabbing the deputy in the arm. Thinking quickly in an attempt to save his own life and any innocent bystanders in the area, the Shelby County lawman drew and fired his service weapon, striking the suspect and putting him on the ground.

Emergency crews arrived on the scene for backup and medical attention.

The deputy and the suspect were both transported to the hospital. The deputy is facing non life-threatening injuries, while the suspect has been reported to be in critical condition.


Reports noted that the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation was called in to investigate the details of the shooting. 

And the violence against the blue doesn’t end there.

A police officer in Washington was rushed to the hospital after a suspect allegedly opened fire on the LEO early Monday morning, officials said.

At the time of this article’s publishing, that individual remains on the loose.

Police in Prosser, Washington responded to a 911 call that reported a potential break in the 200 block of Canyon Drive. The callers said that a suspicious person was attempting to gain entry into an apartment in the complex.


The call came in around 1 a.m. Prosser officers responded to the scene, where they reportedly encountered a person ‘lurking’ in the parking lot.

As the officers attempted to make contact with the individual, the suspect took off on foot. As one of the officers tried to take down the suspect, the individual allegedly pulled out a gun and opened fire. The responding officer was struck in the leg.


Unable to continue chasing the suspect on foot, the officer lost track of them. 

The local department has partnered with neighboring entities and is still attempting to track down the suspect, whom they say they’ve dealt with on a number of previous occasions. 

The officer was taken to the hospital where they were treated for their wounds. The injuries were non life-threatening and the Benton County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that the officer was treated and released early Monday afternoon.


Social media posts reported that the local SWAT unit has joined the hunt to find the missing suspect. 

The shooting remains under investigation. 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First