Heroes: State Troopers and firefighters rescue driver of crashed vehicle in a river – all caught on camera


KILLINGLY, CT – First responders were able to successfully rescue the driver of a vehicle that managed to wind up in the Quinebaug River on January 9th. The quick response by multiple parties, to include one state trooper, is being credited with saving the driver’s life. 

Officials with the Danielson Fire Department say that the driver was involved in a crash at around 11:15 a.m. on January 9th that resulted in the vehicle landing into the river near Main and Water Streets. 

According to reports from the Connecticut State Police, Sergeant Ericson was among the first to respond to the scene. And with the help of a bystander that had managed to get atop of the vehicle, who provided a pathway down for Sgt. Ericson. 

Per a synopsis of the events prior to DFD arriving on the scene, the Connecticut State Police wrote the following caption coupled with a video showcasing Sgt. Ericson and the “Good Samaritan”

“On Saturday, January 9th, Troopers from Troop D responded to a report of motor vehicle into the river in the area of Water Street in the town of Killingly.”

“Sergeant Ericson was first on scene and scaled down the fence with a bystander to stabilize the male who was up to his chest in water. FD arrived and was able to extricate him from the vehicle.”

“The driver was airlifted from the scene to due to preexisting conditions. Everyone is expected to make a full recovery.”

“Great job by Sergeant Ericson, the Good Samaritan who selflessly jumped in, the Fire Department and everyone else who helped with this incident.”

According to a report regarding the incident, the DFD afforded credit to fire crews associated with both Danielson and South Killingly, with the QV South Dive Team having enabled the extraction of the driver. 

The roof of the vehicle was reportedly cut open to facilitate the rescue. The driver of the vehicle was then airlifted to a nearby hospital for treatment of sustained injuries, including hypothermia. 

Investigators are still looking into what may have caused the crash itself.  It was reported that it appears the driver veered off the roadway and crashed into the fencing the runs along the Quinebaug River. 

At this time, the investigation is still fresh and there has been no mention of what caused this unfortunate turn of events.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather further insight into the developing investigation. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In another case of heroism: Back in November, a father in Georgia was severely injured while trying to rescue his children when a fire broke out in their home. 


Hero status: Father severely burned trying to rescue young kids inside burning home

December 12, 2020

While two of his children suffered only minor injuries, this fast-acting father suffered burns along his back, arms, hands and shoulders – along with lacerations as well. 

On November 30th, during the early morning hours, Brandon and Brandy Slater’s home caught on fire. Brandy said that her husband alerted her to the house fire, and rushed to get their four children: 

“He opened up our bedroom door. He slung it open and said ‘Oh my God, the house is on fire.’ He took off after the kids.”

Brandon had managed to rescue all of the children from inside, but was far from walking out of the incident unscathed. His sister, Melissa Willis, spoke about some of the injuries he sustained, saying: 

“He sustained a lot of burns to his arms, severely to his hands, his back, and his shoulders. Assuming from breaking out a window, he had torn his arms and hands up pretty bad. The muscle and everything’s exposed, it got burned really bad.”

Two of the couple’s children were said to have suffered minor injuries in the fire. Brandon’s sister said the ordeal has been a traumatic experience for the young kids: 

“They’re pretty emotional about it. They are talking about what happened.”

The family suspects that the fire was started by a space heater inside of the home. The cause of the fire has not been confirmed yet by investigators. 

Brandon’s wife remarked on how she never wants to go through something of this nature again, describing the chaos that ensued that morning of the fire: 

“My whole house was in flames. It was really, really terrible. I don’t want to go through this again.”

Looking back on the incident, with her husband now sitting inside of the Grady Memorial hospital burn unit, Brandy wishes she could have done more for her husband that morning: 

“Now, I just feel really bad because my husband’s in a lot of pain and I couldn’t help him.”

While Brandon is expected to recover, therein lies the damage done outside of the physical trauma this husband and father endured. The home that the family had been settled in for ten years has been reduced to ash and rubble. 

While the family still has their little plot of property, everything else that they have is essentially gone; their home, clothing and all that they had acquired over the years. 

The family lost everything in the fire, but the generosity of those inspired by this father’s heroism resulted in donations coming from all over to help replace what this family lost in the fire just weeks before Christmas. 

According to a GoFundMe established for the family, Brandon will not be able to work for some time until he recovers from his injuries and surgeries. 

According to an update provided on December 5th, Brandon is starting to move around again after some of his surgeries:

“[Brandon is] experiencing pain in and around the surgery sites, but the nurses are doing their best to manage the pain. His recovery will be long but he’s strong and determined.”

Some of the surgeries that Brandon received on December 4th included repairing a severed tendon on his finger and applying skin grafts to help repair and cover the exposed muscle from the lacerations he sustained. 

In the recent update, the fundraiser organizers expressed immense gratitude to those who not only donated money, but also toys for the children: 

“So many people donated toys, games and baby dolls that helps them forget what they went through and allows them to play and be mommy and daddy’s happy little babies.”

We at Law Enforcement Today are hoping for a speedy recovery for Brandon, especially with the holidays approaching. 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts