Revealed: Cop who exchanged gunfire with 4-time ex-con during chase was forced to resign by Chief Acevedo


HOUSTON, TX- A Houston police officer who exchanged gunfire with a four-time ex-convict during a police chase has been forced to resign by then-Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo. 

According to reports, 32-year-old Juan Pablo Chapa is a career habitual violent felon with a long criminal history. Andy Kahan with Crime Stoppers said:

“Every time he gets out of prison, every time he gets out of jail, it’s just a matter of time before he commits another violent crime.”

Chapa bonded out of jail in 2020 and in no time, two med ended up dead. Kahan added:

“In May of 2020, he’s out on bond for another family assault charge. Two months later, there’s when everything gets really crazy.”

On July 22, 2020, Houston Police Officer Nahuel Faiura and his partner saw Chapa driving recklessly. The officers attempted to pull him over around Old Spanish Trail and 288. Police said that three minutes later, the officers called out that the suspect was shooting at them.

Officer Faiura returned gunfire striking Chapa, who ultimately survived. After the incident, Acevedo forced Faiura to resign from the Houston Police Department (HPD). Houston Police Union President Doug Griffith said in a statement:

“We have a policy that you shouldn’t shoot from a moving vehicle, unless it’s extreme circumstances and they felt officer Faiura could have backed off and just waited. Had that happened, who knows who Chapa would have killed.”

According to a news release from July 22, 2020, officers pursued the vehicle for several minutes and several miles. During the pursuit, Chapa began to fire a weapon at officers. The release added:

“Officers continued to cautiously pursue, but Chapa fired several more times at them. Fearing for his life, the life of his partner, and other units in the vehicle pursuit, Officer Faiura drew his duty rifle and returned fire, striking Chapa numerous times, causing Chapa to lose control of his vehicle and crash into an electrical pole.”

Officers then performed a high risk traffic stop and began to give verbal commands. Chapa exited his vehicle with no weapon in his hand, but evaded on foot until he surrendered without further incident. The release stated:

“Officers observed that Chapa had sustained several gunshot wounds. The officers immediately administered first air and paramedics transported Chapa to Memorial Hermann Hospital with life-threatening injuries.”

Authorities stated that officers found a .223 rifle in plain sight within Chapa’s vehicle. At the time of the incident, no one knew that just days before, Chapa allegedly shot and killed two men at the Steeplecrest Apartments at 11220 West Road. In August 2020, Chapa was charged with capital murder in the deaths of those two men. Griffith said:

“It’s disheartening for any officer who goes out there trying to do the right thing. I tell everybody we are one bad call away from losing our jobs, our career, taking care of our family.”

The revolving door at the courthouse has claimed the lives of law officers as well as defendants. Griffith said:

“Look at our last eight officer-involved shootings. Seven out of eight of them involved defendants out of jail on multiple bonds.”

Faiura now works for the Harris Count Sheriffs Department; Griffith spoke on his behalf to Fox26. HPD and Chief Acevedo declined to comment. Chapa remains jailed with a bond set at $1 million. 

Editor note: In 2020, we saw a nationwide push to “defund the police”.  While we all stood here shaking our heads wondering if these people were serious… they cut billions of dollars in funding for police officers. 

And as a result, crime has skyrocketed – all while the same politicians who said “you don’t need guns, the government will protect you” continued their attacks on both our police officers and our Second Amendment rights.

And that’s exactly why we’re launching this national crowdfunding campaign as part of our efforts to help “re-fund the police”.

For those looking for a quick link to get in the fight and support the cause, click here.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Grand jury declines to indict four former Houston officers in 2020 fatal shooting

October 3rd, 2021

HOUSTON, TX – A grand jury declined to indict the four former Houston Police officers who fatally shot a 27-year-old man who was reportedly experiencing a mental health episode back in April of 2020.

While the shooting proved to be controversial in the wake of the incident, the grand jury reportedly returned a “no bill” – meaning that even with the array of charges at the grand jury’s disposal, the panel found that there was no probable cause that the officers committed a crime in the shooting.

The April 21st, 2020, fatal shooting of Nicolas Chavez was certainly one that stirred emotions within Houston – ultimately leading to four Houston Police officers involved in the fatal shooting being fired by then- Police Chief Art Acevedo.

The incident started after serval 911 calls came in about a man, later identified as Chavez, seemingly jumping in and out of traffic along the I-10 near the Lockwood exit. One of the 911 callers noted that they nearly hit Chavez and that he appeared to be screaming.

An excerpt from one of the 911 calls noted that Chavez appeared to be “having a mental breakdown, trying to throw himself in front of cars.”

A final 911 call came in about Chavez, with the caller telling the dispatcher the following:

“Honestly, there is a guy who, I was hearing noises, I was hearing my dogs bark, and I go outside, it’s a guy with a metal, like a metal tube of some sort. He’s bleeding, he was bleeding. He’s masked. He seems a little crazy to be honest with you.

But he was in my backyard and I believe he broke the water pipe or whatever. He left already. But he was bleeding and he kept saying something about [him] being innocent. But I just heard him drop the metal pipe. He’s somewhere near the restaurant that’s been closed down. I hear, I hear the metal pipe.”

This led to the response of multiple Houston Police officers, happening upon Chavez while he was armed with some sort of metal object.

Bodycam footage from the incident showed Chavez behaving erratically, with officers trying to understand what he was dealing with, with Chavez alluding to some sort of issues regarding a woman:

“I just got out for the same shit, and she lied. I did six months…I’m an MHMRA patient and I feel like dying.”

While officers were trying to talk Chavez down, he was begging officers to shoot him. All the while, he was still armed with the metal object – which he later began stabbing and slashing his face and neck with.

A series of impact rounds and deployed tasters were used in an effort to take down Chavez, but they seemingly were ineffective. Chavez began to rapidly approach officers in a hostile manner, with one of the officers shooting Chavez twice.

When Chavez went to the ground, they attempted to render aid – but he refused to comply and was still armed with the metal object. At this time, an officer intentionally dropped their taser on the ground so as not to get entangled in the deployed prongs.

The standoff continued from there, with Chavez still jabbing himself with the metal object he was holding, with officers pleading for him to allow them to help him. With Chavez seated upright in a ditch, another officer fired his sidearm once when he attempted to lunge at officers again.

Chavez, still alive at this point, later grabbed ahold of the deployed taser prongs and started to reel in the taser one of the officers had dropped on the ground earlier. By the time the taser was in his hand, four officers fired a combined 21 additional shots at Chavez, killing him.

In the investigation into the incident, Chief Acevedo felt as though only the first three shots of the 24 total fired were “objectively reasonable”:

“The discharge of those 21 shots for those four members of the Houston Police Department are not objectively reasonable. I believe that anyone that watches this tape, that sees this, would see that they had a lot of opportunities and a lot of other options readily available to them.”

As a result of the internal investigation, Chief Acevedo fired Sgt. Benjamin Leblanc, Officer Omar Tapia, Officer Luis Alvarado, and Officer Patrick Rubio in September of 2020.

When the case against the four officers was presented to the grand jury on September 27th, the grand jury that the fatal shooting of Chavez was indeed not criminal in nature.

Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg provided the following statement regarding the grand jury’s findings:

“In officer-involved shootings, grand jurors have a range of options, from criminally negligent homicide to murder, and range of defense considerations, including self-defense and defense of a third person. Civil Rights Division prosecutors presented all the evidence to ensure grand jurors were fully informed prior to making a decision.

The primary question for a grand jury in a police shooting is, ‘did officers act reasonably?’ Grand jurors are supposed to apply the law to the facts and reach a decision on probable cause. We use this process to ensure that the community decides whether or not police should be charged in on-duty killings.”

Considering that no charges were filed against the terminated officers, it’s expected that they’ll soon begin the arbitration process in an effort to get their jobs back at the Houston Police Department.

 Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Grand jury clears Oregon officer who fatally shot knife-wielding suspect

(Originally published September 18th, 2021)

TIGARD, OR – A former Tigard Police officer that was under investigation for a fatal officer-involved shooting from back in January will not be facing charges in connection with the incident, after a grand jury declined to indict the former officer earlier in September.

On January 6th, former Tigard Police Officer Gabriel Maldonado had been among those to respond to a reported domestic disturbance at Southwest Hall Boulevard and Bonita Road.

Upon arrival at the scene, officers encountered 26-year-old Jacob Macduff, who was locked inside of his truck and armed with a knife.

After responding officers tried to talk Macduff out of his vehicle, a decision was made to forcibly remove Macduff from the vehicle. A struggle reportedly ensued, and Officer Maldonado opened fire on Macduff during the struggle, as the now-deceased suspect had apparently refused to drop the knife he was armed with at the time.

Macduff’s mother, Maria, proclaimed that in the days leading up to the fatal incident that her son was experiencing issues akin to bipolar disorder and that he was allegedly evolving “into an acute psychotic state.”

Following the shooting, Officer Maldonado was placed on administrative leave while an investigation was conducted. Prior to the fatal shooting, Officer Maldonado was also in the midst of being onboarded to the Port of Portland Police.

However, the onboarding process for Port of Portland Police was placed on hold, as the police department wanted the investigation into the shooting to be cleared before hiring Officer Maldonado.

Yet, for reasons that are unclear, Officer Maldonado resumed duty with the Tigard Police Department in March and in that transition, the Port of Portland Police were erroneously informed that the investigation into the shooting was complete.

However, it was not.

Still, Officer Maldonado resigned from the Tigard Police Department on April 15th and started with the Port of Portland Police four days after that resignation.

Once Port of Portland Police realized that the investigation into the incident was still ongoing, Officer Maldonado was placed on leave from his new department and eventually fired.

Outside of the unusual circumstances regarding Officer Maldonado’s employment status at the time, the Washington County Major Crimes Team were leading the investigation into the shooting. Yet, on May 3rd, Washington County District Attorney Kevin Barton requested the Oregon attorney general’s office to take over the case.

Earlier in September, two assistant attorneys general presented the findings of the investigation to a Washington County grand jury. Come September 15th, the grand jury declined to indict the former officer for any criminal charges related to the fatal shooting of Macduff.

In a statement pertaining to the grand jury’s decision on the case, Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum acknowledged that the shooting was “tragic” but also expressed satisfaction that the grand jury found “insufficient evidence” to charge the former police officer:

“This was a very tragic situation resulting in the death by a police officer of an allegedly mentally unwell person. However, I am satisfied with the Washington County grand jury’s conclusion that there is insufficient evidence to warrant criminal charges being brought against Officer Maldonado.”

An attorney representing Maria Macduff filed a tort claim notice against the city of Tigard back in April in order to afford the family’s ability to file suit against the city over the fatal shooting. As of this writing, no lawsuit has been filed regarding the matter.

The Tigard Police Department stated following the grand jury’s decision that they will conduct an internal review of the incident, utilizing a use of force board consisting of five people not directly involved in the January shooting.

It’s unclear what sort of ramifications could arise depending on the use of force board’s finding, as Maldonado is no longer employed with the Tigard Police Department since his resignation in April.

It is also unclear whether Port of Portland will reconsider onboarding him to the force following the strange circumstances of his hiring and eventual firing.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Submit a Correction
Related Posts