Report: Unprovoked man who planned to kill cops stabs city magistrate – who is also the mayor’s wife


BAYOU LA BATRE, AL– On Tuesday, May 18th, a man who entered Bayou La Batre City Hall with plans to kill police officers, ended up stabbing the city magistrate, who is also the mayor’s wife.

According to reports, Police Chief Scott Dagg stated that a man walked into the municipal offices for the coastal city of 2,500 and stabbed magistrate Marcia Barnes, wife of Mayor Henry Barnes. The chief said:

“His intent was to kill law enforcement. Attacking the magistrate is one way to get to us. He was familiar to us. Over the years, we’ve known him.”

The woman was taken to a nearby hospital and had her injuries treated. Her leg required stitches and the mayor stated that his wife was the only person injured in the incident. The suspect, since identified as Phoxay Keomanivong, 47, was set to appear in court on Tuesday, May 18th.

The New York Post reported that before Keomanivong’s alleged stabbing attack, he was facing charges in the city for disorderly conduct and marijuana possession. According to authorities, the suspect will now also be charged with attempted murder.

In April, a man was accused of stabbing and critically injuring a Long Island, New York Police Department (NYPD) office. Reportedly, the suspect, 25-year-old Jonathan Nunez, was high on methamphetamine when he carried out the violent act.

He was indicted on 10 charges in connection with the attack. He was hit with four felony charges of aggravated assault on a police officer, first-degree assault, assault on a police officer, and two counts of assault.

Those charges were in addition to charges of resisting arrest, leaving the scene of an incident resulting in physical injury, reckless driving, and operating a motor vehicle while impaired by a drug.

Nunez was spotted around 10:30 p.m. when Suffolk County Police Officer Christopher Racioppo saw him “driving erratically” and with no headlights on.

As the officer turned on his emergency lights and tried to conduct a traffic stop, Nunez fled at a high rate of speed and crashed into another vehicle at an intersection. According to the DA’s office, he then ran from the scene to a nearby home and began fighting with Racioppo.

During the fight, Nunez stabbed the officer in the leg and severed a vein and his femoral artery. A pair of good Samaritans, reportedly a Marine and a retired NYPD police officer, restrained Nunez and provided medical aid to the wounded officer.

The officer was later transported to a local hospital in critical condition. He was released from the hospital 16 days later. Suffolk County District Attorney Timothy Sini said in a statement:

“This defendant was allegedly high on drugs and driving erratically and instead of pulling over and complying with lawful commands, he decided to speed through a residential area and ultimately attacked a police officer.”

He added:

“These are all conscious decisions that the defendant made. Decisions that put so many people’s lives at risk, including Officer Racioppo, who is lucky to be alive thanks to the swift actions of the responding officers, good Samaritans, and the medical professionals.”

Sini said in another statement:

“The defendant was extremely combative and extremely violent. At no point did he have any interest in complying with lawful commands by members of the police department and that behavior continued when he was brought to the hospital, where he was combative with medical staff as well.”

According to authorities, Nunez was on probation at the time of the attack and needed to be sedated after allegedly kicking a different police officer in the face at the hospital. If convicted on the top charge, Nunez faces up to 30 years in prison. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Florida man arrested for stabbing a person who was asking for food at KFC

March 6th, 2021

FORT. LAUDERDALE, FL – According to police, a 27-year-old man is facing attempted murder charges after allegedly beating and stabbing a man who was asking for food inside of a KFC in Ft. Lauderdale on February 24th. 

According to reports, an unidentified male victim had entered a KFC restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale at around noon on February 24th, and had approached 27-year-old Branden Dion Pearson, asking Pearson for some food. 

Pearson had reportedly refused to give the man food, and allegedly began to berate the man thereafter. Both Pearson and the man were said to have began insulting each other back and forth – and the situation then allegedly escalated into a fist fight. 

An employee inside of the KFC reportedly injected themselves into the situation, getting Pearson and the man separated from each other. However, the man who’d asked for food earlier was said to have picked up rocks in the parking lot and began throwing them at Pearson.

Pearson then allegedly walked outside of the KFC and shoved the man to the ground, at which point the man was said to have tried kicking Pearson.

Police say that Pearson then produced a knife and stabbed the man in the head, thereafter walking back inside of the KFC to wait for police to arrive. 

Branden Dion Pearson - Broward County Jail
Branden Dion Pearson – Broward County Jail

Apparently Pearson was seemingly cooperative with police, allegedly telling authorities that he’d stabbed the victim due to him reportedly throwing rocks at him earlier. 

The latest reports on the incident state that the stabbing victim was treated at a nearby hospital. As for Pearson, he’s reportedly being held on a $50,000 bond at the Broward County jail. 

In other recent incidents coming from Florida, a 74-year-old man was reportedly  found dead in a pond on a golf course on February 28th. Authorities suspect that the man drowned while trying to retrieve a lost golf ball in the water. 

The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office dive team had located the body of Hermilo Jazmines inside of a pond at the East Lake Woodlands Country Club, according to officials. 

Apparently, Jazmines was out golfing with a friend on February 28th at the country club, when the deceased had hit their ball into the water on the course’s third hole. 

The last time that Jazmines was ever seen alive was while he was searching for his ball near the water. 

Prior to authorities discovering his body, authorities honed in on the pond where Jazmines’ putter laid next to – not far from the path where his golf cart was still parked. 

Jazmines’ body was said to have been submerged in the water near that location. 

As of this time, authorities have no reason to suspect that there was any foul play, as the evidence indicates that Jazmines’ death was the result of an unfortunate accident.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In more positive reports coming from the Sunshine State, we at Law Enforcement Today recently shared the story of a sanitation worker that is being credited with saving the life of a 7-year-old boy who’d apparently gotten dumped into the garbage truck’s rear refuse holder.

Here’s that previous report. 


TAMPA, FL- A Florida sanitation worker pulled a 7-year-old boy from the back of a garbage truck after learning that the child hid in a trash can and was dumped into the vehicle.

According to reports, Waldo Fidele, who works for Waste Connections of Florida Operations in Tampa, was loading waste into an automated trash collection truck when he saw a young boy in his surveillance camera. 

The young boy, identified as Elias Quezada, hid inside of a garbage can and within a few minutes, the garbage truck arrived at his house in north Tampa. His grandmother, who was inside the house, heard him scream. Carmen Salazar told FOX 13:

“I thought that Elias was under the wheels. That he had been hit or something.”

She added:

“In a minute he went out and the next thing I hear is the sound of the truck and a guy screaming.”

In reality, the garbage truck had picked up the can that Elias was hiding in and had dumped it all into the back of the truck. When asked if he was scared, Elias said:

“Yes because I thought I was going to be a mashed potato.”

Fidele and his quick thinking saved the boy’s life. As the arm of the truck was picking up the can, Fidele checked his surveillance camera and saw Elias get dumped in. With no time to spare, he deactivated the blade that is used to chop up the refuse. Fidele said:

“Looking on camera I see something drop.”

Elias said:

“I was thinking this might be the end for me.”

After Fidele cut off the blade, he called 911. He said:

“I come outside. I see him, he seemed happy, happy! I said ok, you’re ok now.”

Elias and his grandmother are grateful for Fidele and his quick actions that saved his life. Salazar said:

“I’m very thankful that he was looking at that camera at that time and he acted so fast because otherwise, he wouldn’t be here.”

Fidele said:

“It was a bad day for me. I was scared.”

However, thanks to Fidele’s quick thinking, a bad situation turned out to be a very good day because of his life-saving actions. 

Shawn Plunkett, operations manager for Waste Connections told the Tampa Bay Times that the actions saved Elias from being fatally crushed. He said in a statement:

“He’s truly a hero. If he hadn’t been paying close attention to the job, we would all be searching for a missing 7-year-old today”

Plunkett added:

“The truck instantly treats trash like a garbage disposal does. Then after it is in the truck, it heads straight to an incendiary. Nobody would have ever known what happened to him.”

Kurt Salac, the director of Fidele’s company, describe what happened as being nothing short of a miracle. He said:

“Waste management workers are often the unsung heroes of a community. But we believe this action deserves some praise from everyone.”

FOX 13 asked Elias if he would ever jump into another garbage can after the death-defying episode. He said no, but added:

“Unless it’s like a tiny trash can that’s inside the house. That might be fine.”


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts