The message from police was clear on Tuesday night. Shoot at us and we’re coming for you.
Just after 7 p.m. Tuesday, U.S. Marshals said they have Jacob Julick in custody. They say they captured him without incident after finding him hiding in a third floor attic.
Julick is accused of shooting at police in Cincinnati and escaping. He’s been on the run for 19 days. Here’s what started it all.
Police say on June 6, 27-year-old Jacob Ray Julick opened fire on Lakeside Park police officers after they pulled him over in Erlanger.
The stop happened on Dixie Highway near Short Hill Lane, by the Speedway gas station.
Police say he pulled out a gun and fired at officers, then took off on foot. Over the past several days, he’s been spotted in the area.
Jacob Julick’s mother Mary told media outlets that her son called her and said he was surrounded by police and “didn’t know what to do.” Shortly after, police confirmed to local media outlets that Julick was the suspect in the home they had surrounded. Three loud bangs were reported, but according to police they were not gunshots.
“We are in the process of negotiating with the person we believe to be Jacob Julick from a residence in a multi-unit apartment building,” Saunders said at the scene.
Police say they almost captured him over the weekend, but that on Saturday afternoon he drove onto a sidewalk on Covington’s Madison Avenue to elude capture.
They say he then lead police on a chase that intentionally put others at “risk of serious physical injury or death” and that he intentionally tried to ram the front of a police cruiser.
He’s facing a laundry list of charges including fleeing or evading police, disregarding a stop sign, wanton endangerment of a police officer and wanton endangerment.
On top of that, Julick, who sports a “Cov. Honkey” tattoo on his neck, is facing charges including two counts of attempted murder of police officers after the initial traffic stop shooting.
That chase on Saturday was called off at about 2 p.m. to avoid putting people’s lives in jeopardy, said Detective Kyle Thornberry, a spokesman for Erlanger Police Department.
In another major arrest this week, police cuffed a man who they’re calling a fugitive from justice after the tragic deaths of seven Marines on Friday.
Volodoymyr Zhukovskyy, 23, from West Springfield, Massachusetts was the truck driver accused in the deadly crash that happened on Friday. He appeared in court on Monday. And we’re learning tonight that, according to police, he has a history of drunk driving.
This, after the New Hampshire Attorney General’s office said that Zhukovskyy was arrested Monday morning at his West Springfield home.
One of the charges? A fugitive from justice charge.
“That charge is based on an arrest warrant that had been issued on June 24, 2019, charging him with seven counts of negligent homicide,” the A.G.’s office said in a statement.
Now he’ll have to be extradited to New Hampshire to face the charges against him, according to New Hampshire State Police.
Police say on Friday night, Zhukovskyy was driving a 2016 Dodge 2500 on Route 2 in Randolph, New Hampshire. It was towing a trailer used to haul cars.
They said he was driving westbound when he crashed into a group of motorcycles driving in the opposite direction. Police do not know why he crossed the center of line.
When emergency crews arrived, the pickup truck was on fire and onlookers had rushed in to try and help the drivers who were thrown all over the road.
Seven people were killed. New Hampshire State Police identified the victims:
- Michael Ferazzi, 62, of Contoocook, NH
- Albert Mazza Jr., 59, of Lee, NH
- Desma Oakes, 42, of Concord, NH
- Aaron Perry, 45, of Farmington, NH
- Daniel Pereira, 58, of Riverside, RI
- Jo-Ann and Edward Corr, both 58, of Lakeville, MA
Two of the people hurt in the crash – Joshua Morin of Dalton and Steven Lewis of Brimfield- were from western Massachusetts.
Mortin is still in the hospital, while Lewis was treated and released.
The tragic accident involved members of a motorcycle club in New England that includes marines and their spouses. It’s called Marine Jarheads MC.
According to police records, Zhukovskyy was arrested on drunken driving charges last month. He was ALSO arrested on drunken driving charges in 2013. And in 2012, he was involved in an accident.
Despite the fact that he was charged with on OUI last month, he was driving for Westfield Transport at the time of the crash.
Those records show police in East Windsor, Connecticut stopped him on May 11 of this year, and that he was also arrested for drunken driving in 2013 in Westfield, Massachusetts.
Witnesses of Friday’s crash described it as an absolutely “devastating” scene.
“It’s tragic,” New Hampshire State Police Capt. Chris Vetter told reporters during a late news conference. “It’s tragic for those involved, tragic for the families, so we’re doing our job, we’re doing our work, and our thoughts are with the people who were adversely affected by this.”
Large parts of the rural two-lane highway were closed overnight as investigators comb the scene for clues about what caused the crash.
* 7 dead in Randolph crash; witness describes aftermath | Public Safety | https://t.co/jyK05TtzCy The Union Leader * 7 killed in crash between truck, bikers in New Hampshire NBC News * Seven motorcyclists are dead after colliding with a pickup truck in… https://t.co/FrtyGkvxVD
— Detroit Michigan (@DetroitMichiga) June 22, 2019
The town of Randolph is about a two-hour drive north of Concord, the capital, and a three-hour drive from Boston.
“There was debris everywhere,” said Miranda Thompson, 21, of Manchester, who was several cars back and recalled seeing a truck in flames on the side of the highway and six motorcycles.
Other drivers pulled over and tried to help the wounded.
“People were in the grass. There were people putting tourniquets on people, trying to make sure they didn’t move,” she said. “You could tell people were lost who it happened too … It was a sad day for all of them.”
Jerry Hamanne is the co-owner of a nearby bed-and-breakfast that was hosting one of the bikers in the group. Hamanne said he and a doctor also staying at his inn rushed to the scene to help.
He said many others tried to help as well, but some people were already dead.
“It was so devastating to see the bodies on the road,” Hamanne said. “My God, I don’t want to see something like this again.”
The accident happened only 500 feet from one of the locations where most of the motorcyclists were staying, Hamanne said.
— WMUR TV (@WMUR9) June 22, 2019
Charlie St. Clair is the executive director of Laconia Motorcycle Week Association, which hosts one of the state’s biggest rallies in June.
St. Clair said he couldn’t recall an accident like this ever before involving bikers in the state.
He said he wasn’t on the scene, but spent the night fielding calls.
That’s when he heard the riders were mostly Marine veterans who belonged to the same motorcycle club.
“This is staggering and it’s tragic beyond description,” St. Clair said. “You have a bunch of people out for a ride enjoying one of the first nice days we had. To have this happen, it defies logic quite frankly.”
Miranda Thompson was only a few cars behind the accident and told local she saw “motorcycles dumped all over the road.”
“You could see people on the phone frantically calling, people pacing back and forth and just, they were lost,” she said. ”Everybody got out of their car and helped, got blankets and first-aid kits. Everyone went into action and just helped.”
New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu took to Twitter with his condolences.
Valerie & I are deeply saddened to hear of the tragic motor accident that occurred in Randolph tonight. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families, & first responders who answered the call. State officials are on the scene & assisting as the situation develops.
— Chris Sununu (@GovChrisSununu) June 22, 2019
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families and first responders who answered the call. State officials are on the scene and assisting as the situation develops,” he wrote on Twitter.
He said he and his wife are praying.
“Valerie & I are deeply saddened to hear of the tragic motor accident that occurred in Randolph tonight. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families, & first responders who answered the call. State officials are on the scene & assisting as the situation develops.”
An online fundraising page has been set up to help with funeral costs and has already raised more than $330,000.