Report: Murder suspect arrested after traffic stop over tinted windows (as cities move to eliminate ‘minor’ traffic stops)

Share:

ORLANDO, FL- According to authorities, a man who had an outstanding warrant for murder in Osceola County, was arrested by Florida Highway Patrol during a traffic stop.

The suspect, 28-year-old Daniel Alfredo Cruz, is wanted in connection with a woman who was shot dead and a man who was not fatally shot back in October at the Red Star Restaurant and Hookah Bar.

Florida Highway Patrol stopped a 2010 Acura on SR-408 for an illegal window tint at 11:15 a.m. on Thursday, November 18th. After identifying the driver, troopers confirmed that there was an active warrant out for Cruz that identified him as a suspect in a murder. 

A pink loaded handgun was also found in his possession. Cruz and the gun were turned over to the Osceola County Sheriff’s Office. Prior to Cruz’s arrest, none of the people involved in the shooting back in October had been identified by the sheriff’s office. 

As of this writing, the sheriff’s office has not explained what Cruz’s involvement in the shooting was or how they developed him as a suspect. 

In a separate incident, a 41-year-old man has been accused of killing three people, including a child, at an apartment complex in central Florida. According to authorities, deputies found two adults and child at the complex in the Buenaventura Lakes community near Kissimmee. Two people were in one apartment and the other was in another unit.

Osceola County Sheriff Marcos López said that a witness was able to identify Kevin Christopher Torres as a suspect. He was taken into custody after barricading himself in a car during a standoff with authorities.

The sheriff added that he was taken to a hospital to be treated for his injuries that were not related to his interaction with law enforcement.

Torres was later book into jail on 20 charges, including three counts of premeditated murder, home invasion, kidnapping, aggravated child abuse, and abuse of a dead body. He is being held without bond.

The sheriff stated that the victims are not related to Torres and that Torres has a history of mental health issues and drug use.

In another incident, the woman arrested in Florida for her connection to the execution-style slaying of a Brooklyn mother over the summer has returned to New York City and now faces murder charges.

42-year-old Claudia Banton of Allenwood, Georgia, who goes by the name Claudia Williams and Keisha Brown, was picked up by U.S. Marshals in Jacksonville, Florida on November 8th and extradited to Brooklyn on November 17th.

Banton has been charged with murder and criminal possession of a weapon for allegedly walking up to 42-year-old Delia Johnson and shooting her from behind at point-blank range on busy Franklin Ave. in Crown Heights on August 4th.

Chilling surveillance footage previously released by police shows the suspect walking up to Johnson and shooting her in the head before nonchalantly walking back to a double-parked SUV and driving away as if nothing happened.

After the shooting, Johnson’s relatives had stated that they recognized the female shooter as a one-time close family friend. However, the New York Police Department has not yet confirmed any connections between the two women.

Marshals in Florida located an address Banton was associated with and conducted surveillance on her. She was busted during a car stop. 

Editor note: In 2020, we saw a nationwide push to “defund the police”.  While we all stood here shaking our heads wondering if these people were serious… they cut billions of dollars in funding for police officers. 

And as a result, crime has skyrocketed – all while the same politicians who said “you don’t need guns, the government will protect you” continued their attacks on both our police officers and our Second Amendment rights.

And that’s exactly why we’re launching this national crowdfunding campaign as part of our efforts to help “re-fund the police”.

For those looking for a quick link to get in the fight and support the cause, click here.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

NY governor’s “parole reform” releases murder suspect – now accused of murdering woman while on parole

September 26th, 2021

ALBANY, NY – The recent enacting of a parole reform law in New York – not to be confused with bail reform but presenting similar risks – led to a man accused of murder being released from custody following a parole violation.

Luckily, the suspect was rearrested, but the matter led to serious questions that eventually prompted a response from Governor Kathy Hochul.

Earlier in September, Governor Hochul signed what was coined as the “Less is More Act”, which restricts incarceration being used as a means to address what are known as technical parole violations.

Technical parole violations are non-criminal instances where a violator would’ve previously been brought back into custody to either complete all or a portion of the remaining prison sentence.

These violations typically live in the realm of breaking curfews, absconding, failed tests for either drugs or alcohol and the sort.

Monroe County District Attorney Sandra Doorley explained that in order for a parolee to be re-incarcerated over technical violations in the state, the offender would have to engage in said acts several times:

“Say, for example, a person on parole commits a non-technical violation.

Once they’re released, they do not check in with their parole officer, they don’t follow a curfew, they don’t make themselves amenable to a search of their premises.

Those are non-technical violations, most of those will have no jail exposure until perhaps the person has that violation a third or fourth time.”

But as a result of this rollout, many individuals who had previously been reintroduced into custody under technical violations were going to be getting a ticket out of prison.

One of the beneficiaries of this rollout was 21-year-old Joseph Rivera, who was arrested on July 21st for alleged parole violations. However, while Rivera was in custody for the parole violations, he became a prime suspect for a July 10th murder of a 47-year-old woman identified as Heather Majors.

Majors had reportedly suffered over 30 stab wounds from an early morning hatchet attack, where she succumbed to her sustained wounds days later while at Strong Memorial Hospital.

Monroe County prosecutors were reportedly intending to file murder charges against Rivera before his December release date from custody – but then the “Less is More Act” went into effect, and with no formal charges levied against Rivera, he was released from custody on September 21st.

This of course led to a quick discussion between police and prosecutors, citing the need to tend to the Rivera situation quickly. Luckily, roughly 10 hours after his release on September 21st, he was re-arrested and charged with second-degree murder.

Gates Police Chief James VanBrederode, who is also the president of the Monroe County Police Chiefs Association, expressed frustration that police were not given the names of any of the inmates who were going to be released as a result of the “Less is More Act”:

“I can tell you that not one person standing here had any knowledge or notice that this was coming until after the fact that had already happened. It is inconceivable, the lack of communication and the lack of partnership that we have had from Albany.”

Governor Hochul pushed back on that assertion by Chief VanBrederode, saying that while perhaps communication between police and corrections could always be improved, corrections properly notified all relevant parties of upcoming releases:

“Yes, they need to have close coordination with corrections. Our corrections team made sure people knew what was going to be happening. But yes, the police did the right thing in this case.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

New York governor orders immediate parole and release of nearly 200 Rikers inmates because of staffing shortage

(Originally published September 20th, 2021)

Editor note: Law Enforcement Today is proud to announce the launch of a nationwide campaign to “re-fund the police” – and we’re asking every American to help get in the fight.  To learn more about how you can support law enforcement, click here.

NEW YORK, NY- Who knew New York could go from bad to just as bad after the resignation of touchy-feely Andrew Cuomo last month? From all appearances, the state’s new governor may be just as useless as her predecessor.

One of her first actions as governor will be to release 191 detainees from Rikers Island, which has been severely understaffed for months, with some units completely lacking guards, according to rt.com.

Under her “Less is More Act,” individuals who are subject to “technical parole violations” who would normally be locked back up would no longer be incarcerated. Gov. Kathy Hochul says that this is one of the primary contributors to Rikers being overcrowded.

“Parole in this state often becomes a ticket back into jail because of technical violations,” she said.

She explained this could be as simple as “someone caught with a drink or using a substance or missing an appointment.”

While the law doesn’t go into effect until next March, Hochul ordered the parole board to immediately release the 191 individuals on Friday, while moving some 200 Rikers inmates to state prisons over the next week or so hoping it will relieve some of the overcrowding.

Despite those measures, Rikers will remain understaffed at a critical level.

Reports indicate that around 2,700 employees which comprises one-third of the entire staff are unable to work on any given day. The result of this has been that some units are actually being run by the inmates themselves, which not surprisingly has led to an explosion of violence.

When guards do work, they are subject to work long hours, usually double or even triple shifts Since December, the jail has seen 10 inmate suicides, and as mentioned above some units are being run by the criminal inhabitants.

Employees have described the facility as “filthy,” with bodily fluids covering the walls and floors. Correction Department Commissioner Vincent Schiraldi was taken aback by conditions at the jail, stating during a city council hearing last week that the situation was “worse than I imagined.”

Coronavirus is also playing a part in conditions inside the jail, with a reported 65 cases being identified last week. Because of overcrowding in the jail, it is impossible to isolate or quarantine suspected cases, Board of Correction member Dr. Robert Cohen told city council members during the hearing.

Hochul has made a commitment to reduce overcrowding in New York jails and prisons and said that other inmates met “that threshold” of having technically violated parole without committing a separate offense.

The New York Post reported that Hochul called the situation at Rikers “deeply disturbing,” which led her to act ahead of the March 1 implementation of the new law. Hochul claimed the inmates she is ordering released “have served their sentences” for the crimes they committed and “do not need to be incarcerated.”

She said that some 65 percent of the parolees returned back to prison had only committed “a very technical violation” and noted that several Southern states “are ahead of us on this.’

“New York incarcerates more people for parole violations than anywhere in the country,” Hochul said. “That is a point of shame, and it needs to be fixed.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In case you missed it, below is a previous article we wrote about Rikers Island. 

DIG DEEPER

NEW YORK CITY, NY – Last year, Mayor Bill De Blasio released scores of prisoners from Rikers Island while blaming the pandemic. This month, he plans to release dozens more of the “worst kind of criminals” because of a shortage of guards.

The second batch of early-release prisoners was supposed to begin on Thursday but has been delayed because of the widespread destruction brought on by Hurricane Ida, according to unnamed law enforcement sources who spoke with the New York Post.

One source said de Blasio would use any excuse to release prisoners from Riker’s Island, the infamous jail de Blasio vowed to close by 2026:

“(Mayor Bill de Blasio])wants to close Rikers and he will use any opportunity to release the prisoners. He is leaving in three-plus months, and he wants to release as many prisoners as he can.”

The new batch of prisoners to be released follows the release of more than 1,500 last year reportedly due to the coronavirus outbreak. The first release lowered the number of prisoners housed in Riker’s to 4,363, the lowest level in 70  years.

The population did not remain low, however, and grew to 5,730 by July, according to Department of Criminal Justice Services data.  Increases in shootings and serious assaults was cited as a contributing factor for the rise.

Mayor de Blasio wants to release more into the city. The law enforcement source said he was concerned:

“There are only the worst kind criminals left in jail – people with gun arrests, shootings, sex crimes. No one is in for shoplifting.”

Corrections officers at the jail have been sounding the alarm for months about staff shortages. The guards have claimed poor working conditions have caused corrections officers to leave, making the situation worse.

Correction Captains’ Association president Pat Ferraiuolo said described the situation as dire:

“It’s worse than at the breaking point. They are the worst they have ever been in the history of Rikers Island.”

The Department of Corrections admitted staff shortages are causing unsafe conditions at the jail, but claimed the shortage was caused by sick guards and unavailable staff.

Around 3,500 out of 8,500 officers had called in sick in July or were medically exempt from working with detainees, the DOC said. Another 2,300, meanwhile, reportedly did not come in at some point in July.

Mayor de Blasio blamed the staff shortages on the pandemic and “absenteeism at an unacceptable level.”

The New York Daily Post reported that two Riker’s units, known as 3 West and 3 North, in the Otis Bantum Correctional Center at Riker’s ran without corrections officers for more than 24 hours last week because of staff shortages.

Terrance Ferguson, better known as hip-hop artist 2 Milly, is serving time at Riker’s for a gun charge. He said that the prisoners were running the jail unit he was in because of staff shortages:

“We are really running the dorm by ourselves. I’ve never seen anything like this.”

De Blasio’s plan to release a second wave of prisoners comes as shootings and other serious assaults have surged in the city.

Reportedly, at least 180 prisoners are being considered for release, although the administration said not all of them will qualify.

Prisoners under consideration for release include Rashaen Powell, 30, who is serving a sentence for three counts of dealing drugs on school grounds. He also jumped bail.

Another prisoner being considered for release is Allen Nimmons, 56, who is a career burglar who has served seven sentences for burglary and is presently incarcerated for parole violations.

Corrections officers feel they are hitting a brick wall and circulated a text message this past weekend calling for a “bang-in,” a term used when the organization wants all corrections officers to call off sick at once to protest working conditions and staffing shortages.

Corrections officers said they are being used by the city and are forced to work “daily triple/quadruple tours,” “unmanned posts” and “no meal breaks.” The text message read:

“We have been taken advantage of for too long. Let’s take our lives back.”

As is typically the case with emergency and vital service “sick outs,” the plan fell apart when correctional officers showed up for work. One guard who was leaving said that if correctional officers called off, he would have just had to stay to work.

The 10-year veteran officer pointed out that the staffing shortage is creating a dangerous situation:

“If you look at the history of prison riots — if you look at Attica — it stems from the same thing: shortage of staff.”

Despite all the warnings, de Blasio still blames the shortages on staff and the pandemic. He plans to continue with the prisoner release as a way to solve the staff crisis and denies the increase in prison population was caused by the rise in crime, blaming the courts for the lack of trials being conducted.

The Mayor also said Wednesday that corrections officers are taking advantage of the pandemic:

“Absenteeism at an unacceptable level.

“And in many cases, unfortunately, it has not been real and justified absenteeism.”

Benny Boscio Jr., The Correction Officers’ Benevolent Association President, issued a statement Monday attacking the Mayor’s plan to release more prisoners:

“In yet the latest sign that Mayor de Blasio has completely lost his grip on reality, rather than hiring the necessary number of Correction Officers to maintain safety and security in our jails and keep New York City safe, he’s decided to release drug dealers, armed robbers, and other hardened criminals with no concern for public safety.

“Would someone please remind the Mayor that 70% of our inmates are recidivists and will most likely return to our custody by Christmas? New Yorkers should demand that the Mayor release these criminals on the steps of Gracie Mansion instead of their doorsteps!”

He went on to say that the city’s corrections officers knew de Blasio did not care about their safety:

“Correction Officers always knew he didn’t care if his policies resulted in one of us getting killed. Now it’s obvious that he doesn’t care if your family members get killed. This will do nothing to solve our staffing crisis and it will only jeopardize the lives of every single New Yorker!”

_

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
 
Facebook Follow First
Share:
Related Posts