Soros-backed radical LA County district attorney plans to ‘severely downsize or dissolve’ Hardcore Gang Unit

Share:

LOS ANGELES, CA- That criminal-loving Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon is at it again.

According to Breitbart News, citing a report filed by Los Angeles Fox affiliate KTTV-11, Gascon’s latest trick is to “severely downsize or outright dissolve the office’s Hardcore Gang unit.

KTTV reporter Bill Melugin said:

“It’s one of the oldest units in the office and it’s responsible for prosecuting the most heinous and complex gang-related crimes in the country.

“On the conditions of anonymity, two LA County Deputy DAs in the Hardcore Gang Unit confirm to FOX 11 what multiple sources are telling us: that Gascon is planning to disband or downsize the unit in a major way.

“What we’re hearing is that the Hardcore Gang Unit will be dissolved,” said one of the prosecutors.

“The prosecutors say they feel they’ve already been hamstrung by Gascon’s decision to ban them from using gang and gun enhancements, and they feel that disbanding the unit will be a disaster waiting to happen, given the violent crime surge across Los Angeles.”

 

According to Melugin, that change could happen as soon as early in April.

Gascon’s term has been full of controversy since he was elected last November, helped in no small part by huge campaign donations from billionaire socialist George Soros.

Soros, who has helped other radicals get elected to DA’s offices from Boston to St. Louis and San Francisco is pushing for radical “reforms” to criminal justice.

Gascon was elected to replace Jackie Lacey, the first African American elected to that position in LA County. Lacey however wasn’t liked by local Black Lives Matter activists, and they also threw support behind Gascon, who left the San Francisco DA’s office in a shambles as well.

BLM activists complained that Lacey wasn’t sensitive to their concerns about police and prosecution.

As soon as Gascon took office, he took steps to end cash bail, he barred prosecutors from seeking the death penalty, and also ended sentencing enhancements for most aggravating circumstances, including repeat offenders, criminals with gang affiliations, and those with firearms offenses.

Gascon has also seen something of a revolt in his own office, with a number of deputy district attorneys publicly criticizing his “reforms.”

Breitbart reported that a judge issued an injunction blocking Gascon from implementing some of those radical policies last month.

Judge James Chalafant’s order restricts Gascon from refusing to prosecute California’s “three strikes” law and will also prohibit him from dismissing special circumstance allegations without legal grounds.

 

Gascon is expected to appeal Chalafant’s injunction.

That order was issued after rank-and-file prosecutors had sued Gascon, causing him to issue an injunction preventing Gascon from implementing his most radical agenda items.

In addition to his own prosecutors, Gascon has faced sharp criticism from families of crime victims, and there is currently a recall effort underway in the county to strip him of his office.

One issue in which Gascon was sharply criticized was where he was seeking reduced punishment for a man who is accused of committing two murders, including that of Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department deputy Joseph Solano.

It has even gotten to the point where prosecutors in other jurisdictions in the state have refused to work with him in cases involving multiple jurisdictions.

Gascon however is undeterred. This past Tuesday, he announced that his office would review all the cases which involve a recently retired detective, who as seen in a recent video referring to a racial slur in a roadside argument with another driver.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Law Enforcement Today has reported several times on Gascon’s hijinks. For more on the recall effort, we invite you to:

DIG DEEPER

The following contains editorial content written by a retired Chief of Police and current staff writer for Law Enforcement Today.

LOS ANGELES, CA- Law Enforcement Today has reported numerous times on radical Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon and his soft-on-crime, criminal-coddling law “enforcement” policies.

Now, just as California Gov. Gavin Newsom is facing a recall effort, so too is Gascon, according to numerous media sources, including Fox News.

Gascon, who ascended to the LA DA’s office with help from the bottomless coffers of billionaire socialist George Soros, has only been in office for around three months, however now may be fighting for his political life as a group of angry Los Angeles residents have started a recall petition.

 This past Saturday, recall organizers sponsored a “victims’ vigil” in order to gather 20 signatures required in order to formally launch the recall effort.

In order to force a recall, petition sponsors will need to get just under 600,000 signatures from registered Los Angeles voters, which equates to 10 percent of the voter rolls.

In the recall effort against Newsom, sponsors say they have gotten over 1.8 million signatures as of last Thursday, with a total of 1.5 million signatures necessary by the March 17 deadline.

Although they have surpassed the total needed, they want a buffer to account for any contested signatures.

In the case of Gascon, he has served as a lightning rod since he was sworn in back in December.

At that time, the leftist Gascon announced a number of controversial policy changes that have shocked and appalled attorneys in his office as well as residents of Los Angeles.

None of this should have come as a surprise because Gascon was transparent about going soft on criminal offenders during the campaign, however apparently nobody thought he would go as far as he has.

For example, Gascon stopped the use of sentencing enhancements, such as those applied to known gang members, offenders who killed law enforcement officers and other egregious offenses.

He also restricted when prosecutors were able to hold defendants without bail, eliminated the death penalty in Los Angeles County, and banned the ability to try juveniles accused of serious felonies as adults.

One of the more controversial decisions was forbidding his DA’s to attend Board of Parole hearings, as reported in Law Enforcement Today early in February.

In response, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva authorized members of the sheriff’s office to attend parole hearings going forward after Gascon failed to object to the release of a Charles Manson “family” member and convicted killer Bruce Davis.

In this case, family members of Davis’ victim were stunned by Gascon’s decision, which left family members with the sole responsibility of contesting release of prisoners by the parole board.

One family member, 81-year-old Kay Martley said, “I don’t think it’s fair that the prisoner has legal representation at the hearing, and I do not.”

Such actions have been typical for Gascon, and finally victims of his politically correct decisions seem to have had enough.

“A lot of victims have come forward and said they feel threatened by his policies, so this is a victim and community-led effort,” said Siannah Collado, a member of the Recall George Gascon campaign, who represents victims in court.

“A lot of people I’ve met have come forward and said, ‘Had I known this is what he was going to do I wouldn’t have voted for him,” Collado said.

“It was a bait and switch. I agree there needs to be some reform, but the pendulum has swung too far left. Now victims are last, and criminals come first,” she continued.

NBC 4 in Los Angeles reported that Gascon ran as a reformer against a two-term incumbent Jackie Lacey saying that ending so-called “systemic racism” in the criminal justice system was a priority.

On the recall group’s Facebook page, it says:

“Gascon campaigned and was elected on a platform including no gang enhancements and not seeking the death penalty, so that is not a reason to recall him.

However within minutes of being sworn in he made other, drastic changes that he did not disclose when campaigning that are letting violent and dangerous criminals back onto our streets. This is unacceptable.

He fooled the voters of LA County and must be removed from office”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Gascon got a comeuppance of sorts earlier in February when a judge ruled that his decision to stop using sentencing enhancements violates state law and that so-called “three strikes” enhancements must be charged, which Gascon has vowed to appeal.

Along with citizens, a number of others are involved in the recall effort, including victims’ rights advocates, former law enforcement officials, current and former prosecutors such as former LA District Attorney Steve Cooley.

Former LA Councilman Dennis Zine is chairman of the recall effort, with former county Supervisor Michael Antonovich serving as honorary chairman.

The group’s website says Gascon promised “a softer and gentler criminal justice system that would reduce incarceration rates for minor offenders and place increased focus on mental health and addiction issues that plague our communities,” but instead instituted policies which made the communities less safe.

“The moment he was sworn in as District Attorney, George Gascon instituted a series of directives to the prosecutors in his command that have nothing to do with a progressive approach to prosecution and have everything to do with a radical agenda that ignores victims, disregards the law and endangers the lives and livelihoods of all Angelenos.”

Gascon also created controversy when he hired a former embattled public defender who had helped with his campaign as a high-ranking prosecutor.

Tiffiny Blacknell was hired as a Grade 4 deputy district attorney, a move which caused controversy both due to her lack of experience as a prosecutor, and past inflammatory comments she made on social media against law enforcement.

During the unrest subsequent to George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis police custody, Blacknell posted a tweet referring to LAPD officers as “barbarians” and “an occupying army,” while also using the hashtag “#DefundPolice.”

Gascon isn’t the only Soros-funded stooge facing a recall in California. The Bay Area Reporter is reporting that a group of San Francisco residents is starting a similar effort to recall San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin.

Richie Greenberg, a business adviser and activist who ran for mayor of the city in 2018 started a petition on January 2 which urged Boudin to resign.

That effort came after a parolee was responsible for a hit-and-run accident that killed two pedestrians in the South of Market neighborhood of San Francisco on New Year’s Eve.

Greenberg’s petition gained about 15,000 signatures.

“We decided to stop the petition and declare that this is a much bigger response than we could have imagined,” Greenberg told the outlet on February 23. “We need a recall effort.”

He said that a committee, the Committee Supporting the Recall of District Attorney Chesa Boudin was formed, with 29 individuals signing a “notice of intent laying out the allegations against Chesa and laying the groundwork for a recall.”

Greenberg said the group filed the notice of intention on February 8.

Boudin received the notice of intent and responded, and the effort now must get final approval from the San Francisco Department of Elections before they will be able to proceed with gathering signatures, an effort Greenberg said should be able to fulfill sometime soon.

As with the effort against Gascon, the San Francisco recall effort against Boudin must receive “valid signatures of at least 10% of registered voters of the City and County at the time proponent(s) filed the notice of intention” in order to qualify the recall for the ballot.

According to Matthew Selby, the campaign services division manager with the elections department, the threshold is 51,324 signatures.

The grounds for the recall of Boudin are numerous, and are related not to a specific incident, Greenberg said but a pattern of behavior.

“That’s the unfortunate part,” he said. “As long as Mr. Boudin and his philosophy continue, the body count will pile up higher.’

Among reasons given by the recall effort include:

“Dereliction of duty; malfeasance; egregious waste of taxpayers’ funds to the tun of nearly $400,000/annual compensation; fostering ore exacerbating a culture of privileged, incendiary and politicized rhetoric towards the public; distorting of criminal justice data; implementation of a theoretical system of criminal justice which instead agitates and upends our neighborhoods causing crime spikes in every corner of our city.”

It continues:

“By definition, the public entrusts a District Attorney to prosecute criminals, yet instead every resident, small business owner and visitor to San Francisco has now become a criminal’s target, and with near impunity.”

Were Boudin to be recalled, his replacement would be appointed by the mayor, London Breed. When Boudin ran for election in 2019, Breed had endorsed Suzy Loftus, a more moderate candidate, whom she had appointed as interim DA just weeks before the election.

“The sooner we are able to get him out, the better,” Greenberg said. “Having a man who is a criminal defense attorney occupying the district attorney position is like having a mortician as the surgeon—that’s the parallel—in the operating room.”

Law Enforcement Today will be following developments in both recall efforts and will report back when additional information becomes available. 

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

 

 
 
 
Share:
Related Posts