Report: Former high school janitor sentenced to 60 years in federal prison for filming students in girls’ restroom

Share:

ORLANDO, FL- According to a press release from the Department of Justice (DOJ), a former Florida high school janitor has been sentenced to 60 years after he was found guilty of filming students in the girls’ restroom.

The release states that Judge Wendy W. Berger sentenced Derremy Jerrel Walker to 60 years in federal prison for two counts of using, or attempting to use, children to produce sexually explicit videos.

Walker has also been ordered to serve a lifetime term of supervised release to to register as a sex offender.

The United States Attorney’s Office stated that the incident occurred when Walker was working as janitor at Oviedo High School in November 2019. According to the release, two 15-year-old female students discovered an actively recording cellphone hidden under the sink in a student bathroom stall. 

The girls took the phone to school administrators, who contacted the Oviedo Police Department. Forensic analysis of the cellphone revealed that Walker had placed the phone in the same location on two prior dates in November 2019.

Each time, Walker created a one-hour video of students in that specific stall. According to the release from the DOJ, on the date the girls found the phone, it had been recording for approximately 15 minutes before they discovered it.

Reportedly, in each of the three instances, Walker had angled the cellphone’s camera in an effort to capture images of the genitalia of those in the stall. School administrators and law enforcement officials were able to identify 8 of the 12 students unknowingly captured in the videos that Walker recorded.

The DOJ reported in their release that further analysis revealed that Walker had also set up another hidden cellphone to record in the school’s faculty bathroom weeks prior to the one he set up in the girls bathroom. FBI Tampa Division Special Agent in Charge Michael McPherson said in a statement:

“Mr. Walker did more than just produce horror; he stole the innocence and trust of these young victims. We are pleased with the sentence handed down in this case and will continue efforts to protect the children in our communities from sexual exploitation and abuse.”

According to reports, in the immediate aftermath of the crime, Walker was dismissed as the school’s janitor and was barred from school property.

He was initially arrested for the crimes on February 25, 2020 and was charged with eight counts of video voyeurism on a person under the age of 16. He was also charged with one count of voyeurism on a person over the age of 19. 

In a separate incident, a former custodian at Clay High School in Green Cove Springs, Florida, was sentenced in March to 20 years in federal prison after admitting to recording students in a girls’ locker room. 

The offender, Jason Brian Goff, pleaded guilty after two 14-year-old students found a cellphone taped to the inside wall of a gym locker with its camera lens aiming out of a prefabricated hole.

The 45-year-old pleaded guilty to attempted production of child pornography and was ordered to register as a sex offender and serve 10 years of supervised release. An analysis of Goff’s phone uncovered a 30 minute video that was filmed from a window into the girls’ locker room, where several female students were recorded changing clothes.

Court documents show that Goff admitted that he tried filming girls in the locker room on at least three occasions from varying vantage points. Investigators found additional images from the locker room on Goff’s other electronic devices as well as a trove of child pornography containing videos and images of adults sexually abusing children, some as young as infants.

Homeland Security Investigations Jacksonville Assistant Special Agent in Charge K. Jim Phillips said in a statement:

“It is beyond reprehensible that this predator used his position of trust as a school employee to sexually exploit children.” 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Elderly couple who ran foster home for disabled children and adults charged with murder and sex crimes

August 11th, 2021

RIVERSIDE COUNTY, CA – An elderly couple who ran a foster home for severely disabled adults and children have been hit with a 14-count indictment earlier in August that bears charges ranging from murder to sexual abuse.

The Riverside County District Attorney’s office confirmed that the owners of the Morris Small Family Home near Murrieta, 80-year-old Michelle Kerin and 79-year-old Edward Lawrence “Larry” Kerin, have been indicted for crimes that are connected to the operation of the foster home.

Michelle have been specifically indicted for the murder of 17-year-old Diane “Princess” Ramirez, who was living at the facility when she died back in 2019. Ramirez’s death has been a point of controversy since her passing, which launched a joint investigation into the circumstances of her death.

In a release from prosecutors pertaining to case and charges against the couple, the following was noted:

“That investigation uncovered what is alleged to be several years of physical abuse and neglect of dependent children and adults, along with sexual abuse against three dependent adults who had been placed in the home.”

According to reports, nearly all of the victims in the case were non-ambulatory and unable to speak.

The murder charge against Michelle alleges that evidence shows she “refused to seek help for Diane even though she vomited blood several times, had inconsistent vital signs, and had been in pain for an estimated eight or nine hours.”

Investigators also found that several other residents at the foster home were subjected to neglect and abuse, with the facility apparently not properly maintaining medical records of residents and also not staffing the facility for the necessary 24-hour care that certain residents required.

Other charges included in the indictment against the couple include child neglect, child endangerment likely to cause great bodily injury or death, dependent adult endangerment and lewd acts on a dependent adult.

Michelle was arraigned on August 11th for her charges, while her husband Edward is scheduled to be arraigned in December.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In Florida, a couple was arrested in July after authorities reportedly uncovered video and images depicting child pornography. 

Here’s that previous report. 

_

ST PETERSBURG, FL – A couple based out of St. Petersburg was arrested back in July after police reportedly found both videos and images depicting child pornography, which, among the evidence seized, allegedly contained video of the male suspect arrested performing sexual acts with a child.

According to officials, the St. Petersburg Police Department begin investigating 31-year-old Jason Wienrich and 26-year-old Alicia Stevens following some received tips from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Upon a request from police, Wienrich reportedly allowed detectives to search his electronics devices where both incriminating images and video were found. Officials say that the children depicted in the videos and images have been identified and are safe.

Wienrich has since been charged with two counts of sexual battery involving children less than 12, possession of child pornography, unlawful use of two-way communication device and promote sex performance of a child.

As for Stevens, she has been charged with lewd and lascivious molestation, use of a child to engage in sex and lewd and lascivious exhibition charges.

The investigation into the matter is still ongoing, according to authorities. Anyone with information on the case is encouraged to call the St. Petersburg Police’s non-emergency line at 727-883-7780.

In other similarly disturbing cases in Florida, a man who police say sexually abused young girls that he fostered in his home was arrested earlier in July by the Holly Hill Police Department.

Authorities allege that the suspect would molest and abuse his foster kids inside a shed that had an area referred to as the “punishment room”, where at least four victims were abused during his time as a foster parent.

A man identified as Lawrence Henry Williams was arrested on July 22nd in Port Orange under charges of sexual battery and lewd and lascivious molestation, with police saying that more charges may be coming down the line as the investigation continues.

Four victims were listed in a charging affidavit against Williams, which police say that the four victims all had similar accounts of abuse that involved a shed in the backyard that had three rooms: a game room, a fun room, and a punishment room.

Authorities say that the punishment room was where the sexual abuse occurred.

The victims reportedly told authorities that Williams would tell them to pull down their pants and underwear so he could spank their bare buttocks, which the victims told police that they’d be molested during these encounters.

One of the victims was as young as 8-years-old when Williams first allegedly raped her.

Another one of the victim’s had previously come from a home where her own father and brother molested her, and she told authorities that Williams claimed to be ‘helping her’ when he’d allegedly molest her.

Another of the victim’s told police that Williams would give her an ultimatum while in the punishment room, which was either be spanked or touch him inappropriately.

Williams would allegedly take the victims into the punishment room during the early morning hours prior to anyone else being awake in the home, sit them on a couch and cover both of their laps with a blanket so that if he was caught in the act, the blanket would conceal what he was doing.

The organization that Williams used to be able to foster the young girls in his home claimed to have been hesitant to house the victims with Williams but cited that he’d passed the background check and answered the questionnaires involved in the process accordingly.

This organization also noted that Williams seemed eager and often requested that young white girls be placed in his care.

This is an ongoing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further details on this developing case.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In Tulsa, Oklahoma, another disturbing case revolving around sexual abuse targeting a minor resulted in two arrests recently – the man accused of assaulting the minor and the minor’s own mother for allegedly permitting the abuse to occur. 

Here’s that previous report from July. 

_

TULSA, OK – The mother of a 12-year-old girl, who recently gave birth to a 24-year-old man’s child, in Tulsa was arrested earlier in July after authorities say she knew of the illicit relationship between her daughter and the adult male – and even threw her daughter and the male a baby shower.

According to a release from the Tulsa Police Department, officers were called to a hospital in midtown Tulsa regarding a possible rape victim on July 14th, as there was a 12-year-old girl actively going into labor at the time.

Police later arrested a suspect identified as 24-year-old Juan Miranda-Jara for first-degree rape of a minor, after he reportedly admitted to authorities that he “was in a relationship with the 12-year-old victim that started in October of 2020”, according to the release and admitted to being the biological father of the minor’s child.  

In an update to the investigation shared on July 29th, Tulsa Police announced a second arrest in connection to the case – this time the mother of the 12-year-old victim.

Tulsa Police confirmed the arrest of Desiree Castaneda, citing that the suspect was allegedly “aware” of and “permitted” the abuse of her daughter:

“The investigation revealed that the victim’s mother and family members were aware of the relationship between the victim and Miranda-Jara. The family permitted the relationship, and there are photos of the family throwing a baby shower for the victim and the suspect.”

Castaneda has since been charged with enabling child sex abuse and child neglect.

Elsewhere in Oklahoma, a 34-year-old man was recently charged with eight child abuse charges and two child sexual abuse charges between three different abuse cases that were investigated between March and June

Stillwater Police Officer Shawn Millermon investigated three cases linked to child abuse, which ultimately led to the arrest of 34-year-old Erick Roy Hale. 

Officer Millermoon had initially received notification from Oklahoma Department of Human Services Child Welfare Specialist Bailey Tyler that several children has alleged physical and sexual abuse by the hands of Hale. 

One of the victims alleged that Hale had previously used a hardcover book to hit them in the face and would frequently be beaten “with a black leather belt that had a bronze belt buckle.”

That same victim reportedly disclosed to investigators that they remembered having to get stitches when they were only 2-years-old due to “being slammed into the bed frame” by the suspect. 

Erick Roy Hale - Payne County Jail
Erick Roy Hale – Payne County Jail

Another victim claimed that Hale was also frequently beaten by the same belt used on the aforementioned victim. 

The third victim in the case alleged Hale would hit them “mostly everywhere” and also witnessed the physical abuse of the other two children.

The investigation into Hale also uncovered alleged sexual abuse, where a victim said that Hale had abused them from the age of 7 up until they were 10-years-old. 

There were reportedly two other victims that came forward in April, with one alleging that they were “sexually assaulted by Erick when they lived in Stillwater” between the ages of 8 and 9-years-old and a victim alleging physical abuse when they were 11. 

Hale was arraigned on July 13th for the charges and his next court appearance is slated for August 18th. The suspect could be facing life in prison if convicted of the charges. 

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Share:
Related Posts