Protest explodes just hours after Minneapolis police fatally shoot man who opened fire on officers


MINNEAPOLIS, MN – Hours after a fatal officer involved shooting of an armed suspect who opened fire on police, a group of protesters had managed to form around the active crime scene on the evening of December 30th. 

The officer involved shooting resulted in 22-year-old Dolal Idd being fatally shot by police outside the Holiday gas station at E. 36th St. & Cedar Ave. at around 6:15 p.m. on the evening of December 30th. 

Police were attempting to conduct what was only described as a felony traffic stop, when Idd was trying to flee from the area where his car was boxed in by other patrols units. 

Body cam footage released on December 31st showed the moments when officers were instructing Idd to shut off the engine and exit the vehicle. However, instead of complying with the delivered orders, Idd produced a handgun and opened fire on police. 

Officers then returned fire, fatally shooting the suspect. 

Yet, prior to the facts coming out regarding the case and the life-endangering conduct employed by Idd that resulted in him being shot by police – numerous protesters had encircled police officers while they were trying to work the active seen shortly after the incident. 

Police radio traffic from that evening alleges that some of the protesters were throwing the likes of bricks and “ice balls” at some of the officers on the scene:

“Officer over dispatch say there are more than 100 people and crowd is growing. Bricks thrown. One squad surrounded. Someone detained at 35th and Cedar. Another officer asked for permission to use 40 mm launcher because ‘they are starting to throw ice balls at us.'”

According to some of the captured radio traffic, officers on the scene were advised that pepper spray should be the go-to for general rowdiness from the crowd an launchers were only meant to be directed toward specific and immediate threats. 

Despite initial concerns about potential dangers posed by the crowd that had formed at the scene of the investigation, matters didn’t much escalate beyond the first reported incidents of the bricks and “ice balls”. 

But while there was no real harm enacted by the crowd against officers that evening, the group’s hostile sentiments toward police were on full display. 

There was also a report about one squad car getting chased down by a group of people – likely from the crowd that had amassed – throwing “snow chucks”, which is typical slang for snowballs. However, it’s unclear if anything genuinely serious (in terms of any arrests) resulted from that alleged matter. 

Luckily, police were eventually able to get control of the scene and the emotional crowd had eventually dispersed. 

Police Chief Medaria Arradondo had issued a statement after the fatal shooting, but prior to the release of the body cam footage, urging the public to wait until the facts of the case are known before jumping to conclusions:

“As chief, I recognize the trauma that our city has been under, and we want to do everything we can to maintain the peace. Our city has gone through too much. We need to keep our officers safe, we need to keep our community safe, and I tell you, we need to preserve that crime scene so that the facts can continue to come out as it relates to that.”

And, as evidenced by the body cam footage now public, it turns out that the suspect was indeed armed and shot at police – prompting the returned fire. 

Still, this is an ongoing investigation, according to the MPD.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather further insight into this case. 

 Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Days prior to this officer involved shooting, MPD officers were being blocked from entering a dubbed “autonomous zone” in Minneapolis where they were trying to respond to a shooting incident. 

Here’s that previous report. 


MINNEAPOLIS, MI — Protesters delayed police responding to a double shooting in the George Floyd Square Autonomous Zone, and evidence on the scene had been tampered with prior to police arrival. The Minneapolis Police Department reported the interference in an email sent to the city council.

On December 27th, officers responded to a report of two people shot at 8:42 p.m. near the intersection of 38th Street and Chicago Avenue South. Police spokesman John Elder said police were advised en route that two adults had been shot and taken to separate hospitals in private vehicles.

The email addressed to City Council members, Andrea Jenkins and Alondra Cano said the police had trouble getting into the area and, when they did obtain access to the scene of the shooting, evidence had been tampered with.

The email sent to the council read:

“I just wanted you to be aware of another incident at this location. Hostile crowds destroying evidence and initially refusing entrance by ‘security.’”

In addition to delaying police from entering the site, a police source told local news station KSTP that people near the scene “had picked up evidence before police arrived and refused to hand it over.”

“George Floyd Square” is the unofficial name given to the zone established by protesters following the death of the 46-year-old black man while in police custody on May 25.

A four-block boundary of barriers from 37th Street to 39th Street, and from Elliot Avenue to Columbus Avenue forms the “autonomous Zone,” an area where protesters declare a cop-free zone. City officials have unofficially permitted the autonomous zone to stay in place since its establishment.

Reacting to the double shooting and resulting email, Councilmember Jenkins urged organizers of the autonomous zone to reopen the area to “restore goodwill and unity.”

She said:

“We want justice for everybody, and it concerns me, and I am not happy with what I read in the email,”

She continued:

“To somehow disrupt or delay that kind of response is completely irresponsible and an obstruction of justice.”

The office of Mayor Jacob Frey issued a statement saying that the present situation within the autonomous zone was unacceptable, and the area should be reopened:

“No neighborhood should be forced to tolerate gun violence and last night’s events compromised the safety of the neighborhood, which is simply unacceptable. Mayor Frey’s position has remained consistent: the city should work with community toward a phased reopening of 38th and Chicago while prioritizing both safety and memorialization of George Floyd’s life in this space.

Residents and businesses deserve full city service.  We will continue working with Council Members and community toward these goals.”

Several community members of the autonomous zone dispute the police claim of obstruction. Community organizer Marcia Howard said, “We escorted police into the square to try and collect (shell) casings.”

Another community member, Andy Hartin, said that reports of people inside the zone interfering with the police response are false:

“Any assertion that anyone near George Floyd Square was trying to cover up a crime or anything that happened last night leading up to the shooting is categorically false.”

Following the report of the double shooting, a man showed up at Children’s Minnesota Hospital with a gunshot wound. A woman was also being treated for a gunshot wound at Hennepin Healthcare Medical Center. Both victims were expected to survive. No arrests have been made.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts