Washington – A 36-year-old Washington State resident said she had no other choice when she had to fatally shoot her estranged husband after he broke into her home last week.

The woman, who was only identified as “Aubrey”, said that her husband broke into her home in Grays Harbor, WA, where he was confronted by a 60-year-old man, described as a friend of hers.

A struggle ensued between the man and her husband, during which time her husband was armed with a knife. According to Undersheriff Brad Johansson, the female believed to be Aubrey “was able to shoot the suspect with the knife, fatally wounding him.”

According to a brief statement made by Aubrey, she said, “Life is precious. Rage is real.”


She referenced this as a reason that she had obtained an order of protection from the man several months ago, and why she filed for divorce.

“If it’s your life or theirs, you have to do what you have to do,” she continued. She said that her friend was being attacked and that she had no choice but to grab a handgun and shoot.

The sheriff’s office said that the investigation was continuing, but it appears that this was a case of self-defense.

“At this point nothing seems to be out of the ordinary,” said Johansson. “It appears that the male subject entered the residence forcibly and the homeowner protected herself.” Due to this, she was not arrested.

In another domestic violence incident in Washington, a mother of three was shot and killed in Vancouver by her estranged husband while she sat in a car with her mother and her children at an elementary school.

Keland Hill shot his wife Tiffany last week just weeks after she was granted a domestic violence protective order. In her request for the order, Tiffany Hill wrote, “I fear for my life,” and adding that her husband “is getting angrier and if he had a gun, he would definitely use it against me.”

Tiffany was sitting in her car at the Sarah. J. Anderson Elementary School. Her mother was also wounded but is expected to survive. None of the three children were injured. Keland Hill committed suicide after being chased down by police officers.


The basis for the restraining order is as follows: On Nov. 7, a Clark County sheriff’s deputy responded to a restaurant in Orchards, WA after Tiffany had called 911 to report that her estranged husband was there in violation of the restraining order.

A probable cause affidavit stated that the responding deputy had “located a black box under the rear passenger side” of Tiffany’s vehicle, which turned out being a GPS tracker. At the time, Keland Hill was found in his car in the restaurant parking lot.

During his arraignment on Nov 8, Keland Hill told the judge that he was in treatment to deal with anger issues.

“I’ve been going to anger management with the VA every week on Friday and been going to mental health every week,” he said. I’m actually supposed to be in treatment at 13 hundred today. Continuing to get better and try to improve. But I haven’t seen my kids in 64 days. All I want is to see my kids.”

Domestic violence advocates in Clark County acknowledge that court orders have limitations on what they do to protect domestic violence victims.

“Really kind of comes down to, it is a piece of paper. And if someone is going to, if it’s going to be effective that’s great,” said Kacee Cohen, director of the YWCA Clark County SafeChoice Program. “But if it’s not, it’s sometimes safer for someone not to get a protection order. Because by getting a protection order, that could create another situation that could be unsafe for them.”

According to statistics compiled by the Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence, 50 homicides in Clark County since 1997 have been tied to domestic violence.

Meanwhile, in Nashville, TN, a man is facing numerous charges in connection with an incident involving a woman who had filed an order of protection against him.

On November 19 in the afternoon, the victim, who was unidentified, was driving home on Murfreesboro Pike when she received a phone call from an unknown number. The victim asked her daughter, who was riding in the car with her, to record the call.

When the victim answered the phone, Barry B. Kelley was on the line. The victim asked Kelley why he hadn’t shown up at an order of protection hearing. Kelley said that he had shown up but left because he was subject to three outstanding warrants.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.


As it turned out, Kelley was only a few cars away while he was speaking wither on the phone. The victim made eye contact with him, whereby Kelly laughed and pointed his finger at her in the shape of a gun and sped off.

The victim saved the recording of the call, as well as video of the vehicle she claimed was Kelley’s car, a dark-colored Dodge Charger. The victim also told police she believed Kelley was tracking her because he shows up at places she is at. He also continues to show up at her house even though she has an order of protection against him.

Kelley is currently facing 17 charges, including third degree domestic assault, order of protection violations, vandalism, and aggravated stalking. He is currently being held on $170,000 bond.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First