Police: Seattle man who took hostages, live-tweeted it has been arrested, released numerous times


SEATTLE, WA – A man in Seattle has been taken into custody after allegedly live-tweeting while he attempted to take hostages in a Target.

The man has a lengthy criminal history and has been released several times after his multiple arrests without bond.

The Seattle Police responded to a hostage situation at a Target in the Westwood Village after an unidentified suspect called 911 telling them he was going to take hostages.

The suspect allegedly informed 911 he was taking the hostages because he suffered from mental illness and was not getting the help he needed.

The incident began on January 21st just before 5 pm when the suspect called 911 stating that he was going to take a hostage at knifepoint but refused to tell them the location.

According to the police documents of the call, the suspect refused to tell 911 where he was headed because:

“He’ll just be sent back to the hospital & the hospital won’t assist & and will just release him.”

The suspect, who admitted to 911 that he needed mental health services, was allowed onto a bus after telling the driver he could not pay because he was homeless.

The bus took him to the area of the Target where he intended on arming himself with a knife and taking hostage so he could be on “national news.”

The suspect, who has not been identified as of yet, went inside of the store and asked a Target employee where the knives were located. After he went to the aisle where the knives were located, he removed one from its packaging and began his attempt at taking hostages.

Seattle police allege that the would-be victims fled the store while the suspect yelled:

“Stop, I’m holding you hostage…if I can’t get the help I need, I’m holding you hostage.”

The suspect allegedly approached others in the store and told them that he was taking them hostage and that he wanted to charge the police with the knife so they would kill him. Although the suspect was allegedly threatening people in the store with a knife, they all were able to leave unharmed.

A negotiator with the Seattle Police Department arrived on the scene and began talking with the suspect who was allegedly posting live updates on his Twitter account. One of the updates on his Twitter account said:

“Thanks to gun control and being poor no gun to take hostages with and 29+ ppl I tried to take hostage ran like mad.”

A couple of hours into the incident, the suspect can be heard on his live feed rambling:

“Well, this court case is going to be funny. No, I’m not representing myself. Yeah, I cannot do…I cannot represent myself for…I got super lucky that the prosecutor’s office…this bullshit charges on me on that one.

See my face is all messed up because I don’t have, I don’t have money for – man. So yeah, this will be fun for.”

That video cut off but another one just after 10 pm was posted:

“So this is a very unique barricade situation that I’ve created. So what happened is, I didn’t have access to guns because of being a felon, not having money and connections to buy off the street, would not be able to assemble a shotgun if I had the money to purchase the components, and in the 3D printer and whatever.

So this is, so we have in the criminal element, there’s no way even that comes even close to the understanding, a tactical and negotiation and having worked for a law enforcement agency. This is very unique.”

The Seattle Police Department was eventually able to safely take him into custody and end the standoff. He was taken to the King County Jail on charges of first-degree burglary.

The suspect has a history of taking people hostage and/or suicide by cop attempts. According to KTTH, the suspect has had a total of 11 suicide by cop attempts from July of 2018 through January of 2019.

Eight days before his attempt at taking hostages at the Target, he had been arrested and charged with assaulting a police officer. Instead of keeping him in jail or sending him to a mental institution, the judge released him without a bond.

Given this suspect’s history, it is clear that simply releasing him back out onto the streets is causing safety concerns not only for law enforcement but for everyone in the general public.

It would appear that the suspect either be kept in jail for his alleged crimes or placed into some type of in treatment mental facility to work on his issues.   

Brother: Synagogue shooter had a criminal history, mental health issues - how did he get a visa and a gun?

Brother: Synagogue shooter had a criminal history, mental health issues – how did he get a visa and a gun?

COLLEYVILLE, TX- According to law enforcement officials, a 10-hour-long hostage situation at a synagogue came to a conclusion late on Saturday, January 15th, with all of the hostages safe and the suspect dead. 

Breitbart News reported that the brother of Malik Faisal Akram, the UK citizen who took four hostages at the Congregation Beth Israel synagogue and was killed after a 10-hour-long hostage standoff, has claimed that his brother had a previous criminal record. 


In comments to UK media, Gulbar Akram, the brother of Malik Akram, revealed that his brother had a criminal record, raising questions about how he was allowed into the United States. 

According to Inzaman Rashid, North of England correspondent or Sky News, Gulbar Akram said of his brother:

“He’s known to police. Got a criminal record. How was he allowed to get a visa and acquire a gun?”

Malik Faisal Akram, formerly of the Blackburn area of Lancashire, is reported to have traveled to the U.S. around the end of December 2021 early January into New York’s JKF International Airport before reportedly traveling to Texas. 

In a previous statement, Gulbar claimed that his brother suffered from “mental health issues.” In a statement shortly after learning news of his brother’s death, Gulbar expressed deep sorrow over the events that transpired at the synagogue. He said:

“It is with great sadness I will confirm my brother Faisal passed away in Texas, USA, this morning. We are absolutely devastated as a family. We can’t say much now as there is an ongoing FBI investigation.”

He added:

“We would like to say that we as a family do not condone any of his actions and would like to sincerely apologize wholeheartedly to all the victims involved in the unfortunate incident.”


Gulbar then added that his brother “was suffering from mental health issues” and did not believe he would have harmed the hostages. He added:

“Sitting in the incident room all last night at Greenbank until the early hours liaising with Faisal, the negotiators, FBI, etc. And although my brother was suffering from mental health issues, we were confident that he would not harm the hostages.”

Akram was fatally shot after an 11-hour standoff following the release of four hostages taken in the Texas synagogue.

During the hostage situation, he was heard calling for the release of al Qaeda linked Aafia Siddiqui, a Pakistani national who was convicted of attempting to kill American military officers while being detained in Afghanistan. 

The Greater Manchester Police announced that the Counter Terror Policing division in North West England is currently assisting in the investigation being led by the U.S. authorities.

The police force announced that they detained two teenagers in South Manchester in connection to the Texas synagogue attack. 


As of this writing, the two teens remain in custody and their identities have not yet been made public. According to local media, following the revealing of Malik Faisal Akram as the attacker, his once-local “Blackburn Muslim Community” group page wrote on Facebook in a now-deleted post:

“Faisal Akram has sadly departed from this temporary world and returned to his creator. May the almighty forgive all his sins and bless him with the highest ranks of Paradise. May Allah give strength and patience to his loved ones in dealing with their loss.”

The page followed up a day later, on Monday January 17th, writing:

“We posted about the death of a local individual yesterday and utilized a standard template with generic wording that is used on all of our death announcements. After learning about the full circumstances surrounding his death, the post was removed.”


The Muslim Council of Britain also condemned the attack, saying the actions were “completely unacceptable and we condemn the action in the strongest possible terms.” The Secretary-General of the Muslim Council of Britain, Zara Mohammed added:

“The act is all the more reprehensible since it was instigated at a place of worship where Jews were targeted. This was quite simply, a hate crime and an act of antisemitism.

We are thankful that the hostages are unharmed, Though some may seek to exploit such incidents for divisive ends, we must double our resolve to remain united against such hatred.”

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Submit a Correction
Related Posts