Police officer in gun-controlled Chicago ambushed, ‘shot in the chin’ by unknown suspect who is now on the run


CHICAGO, IL – A Chicago Police officer was reportedly non-fatally shot during the afternoon of March 14th, not far from the 6th District police station in the Gresham neighborhood. 

As of this writing, police don’t have any suspects in custody, nor has the identity of the injured officer been released. 

The incident occurred at approximately 2:30 p.m. on March 14th, while a Chicago Police sergeant was in the parking lot across the street from the 6th District station located on 7808 S. Halsted Street.

Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown described the sustained injury as a “superficial graze wound”. Superintendent Brown said that the graze wound wound up striking the police sergeant’s chin:

“One of our sergeants heard a gunshot, and then felt pain in his chin area on his face.”

Following the shooting, the police sergeant was transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center, where the police sergeant was released from the hospital later that evening on March 14th. 

Detectives are reportedly reviewing available security camera footage from the Gresham police district – as well as other available video evidence captured nearby. 

Currently, police officials have not made any arrests in this case, nor has there been any mention of possible suspects or persons of interest as of this writing. 

Following the shooting incident, Superintendent Brown relayed the following on Twitter, noting that that the police sergeant marks the thirteenth officer shot this year in Chicago: 

“I’m visiting with the sergeant at the hospital, who is recovering in good spirits. Our officers display an enormous level of resiliency and put themselves in harm’s way each and every day, whether it’s responding to a call or simply standing in their own parking lot.”

“The sergeant marks the 13th officer shot or shot at so far this year. 79 CPD officers who were shot/shot at in all of 2020. God bless the men and women of the Chicago Police Department and all officers throughout our country who risk their lives for our safety each and every day.”

This is an ongoing investigation. 

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further updates on this developing case. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In other news related to officers injured in the line of duty, an Omaha Police officer was reportedly shot in the head while attempting to arrest a shoplifting suspect that was being held by mall security earlier this month. 

Here’s that previous report regarding the incident. 


OMAHA, NE – An Omaha Police officer was listed as being in critical condition after being shot by a suspect while police were responding to a shoplifting call at the Westroads Mall on March 12th. 

According to officials from the Omaha Police Department, Officers Jeffrey Wittstruck and Joseph Kunza had responded to a reported shoplifting incident at approximately 3:30 p.m. on March 12th at the JC Penney store at Westroads Mall. 

Store security had reportedly apprehended a male suspect, later identified as 21-year-old Kenya Jenkins Jr., for allegedly trying to steal a package of t-shirts. 

Apparently, Officer Wittstruck was the first to arrive on scene and went to interview Jenkins at the store, which police officials say that he was initially being uncooperative with the officer.

Officer Wittstruck had reportedly told Jenkins to remove the backpack he was wearing at the time, which is when police say that Jenkins stood up from where he was seated and placed his right hand into his sweatshirt pocket. 

Police say that Officer Wittstruck told Jenkins to show his hands numerous times, to which Jenkins reportedly refused to do so.

Kenya Jenkins Jr. - Omaha Police Department
Kenya Jenkins Jr. – Omaha Police Department

At this point, Officer Wittstruck informed Jenkins that he was under arrest, but Jenkins allegedly became combative with the officer and was pushing him away while Officer Wittstruck was trying to place him in cuffs. 

Officer Wittstruck had reportedly tried using a taser on Jenkins during this struggle, but it proved ineffective. At this point, Jenkins allegedly reached back into his sweatshirt pocket and produced a handgun – firing off four rounds during the struggle. 

Police officials say that Officer Wittstruck was struck in the face and the top of his head by the assailant’s gunfire. 

The suspect reportedly ran out of the mall security office and fled the scene in a white BMW. 

Officer Kunza had arrived after the shooting occurred, and was helping to render aid to Officer Wittstruck alongside mall security. He was later transported to Nebraska Med and was initially listed as being in critical condition. 

The entire incident was reportedly captured on Officer Winnstruck’s body camera. 

Jenkins was later apprehended by police during the evening of March 12th, following a high speed chase on I-80.

The suspect was said to have exceeded speeds of 140 mph before the chase came to an end after stop sticks were deployed and Jenkins’ vehicle became stuck on the railroad tracks on Highway 6. 

Authorities were said to have recovered a Taurus .380 firearm on Jenkins while taking him into custody. The suspect is now facing charges of attempted murder and use of weapon to commit a felony.

In a statement provided by Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer, the following was noted: 

“Our prayers are with Officer Wittstruck and his family for a full recovery. On behalf of all Omaha Police Officers, thank you for the showing of support and concern.”

“Omaha Police Officers answer 911 calls over and over again throughout the day to keep Omaha safe. It is important to remember the dangers officers put themselves in on each and every call; calls that must be answered because someone was in need.”

As of March 13th, Officer Wittstruck was said to be in stable condition and recovering in the hospital. 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts