Police: Man called 911 for help, then attacked the paramedics and cops who responded


Pennsylvania – Police in Pittsburgh say a man who had called for medical help attacked the EMT’s that responded, leading officials to engage in a three-hour standoff that involved SWAT officers. 

By the time the standoff was over, one man was in custody, and a number of emergency responders were taken to the hospital. 

TribLive reported that the initial disturbance occurred on Friday afternoon, after 51-year-old Joseph Sadar called 911 and requested medical help for his mother. Two paramedics traveled out to the residence, but when they arrived, Sadar’s mother reportedly refused treatment. 

Police: Man called 911 for help, then attacked the paramedics and cops who responded
Joseph Sadar allegedly called for help, then attacked the EMT’s and officers who responded.


Giving up on the situation, the two EMT’s began leaving the house, but Sadar reportedly followed them and began shouting at them, according to the criminal complaint. 

“You’re not welcome here,” the medics said Sadar yelled at them.

As they began to leave the premises, Sadar allegedly lashed out, punching one medic in the back of the head and striking the other in the face, according to Public Safety spokeswoman Cara Cruz.

One of the paramedics reportedly suffered a broken wrist and facial injuries, and both of the injured first responders displayed concussion-like symptoms. 

According to officials, Sadar has had “documented aggression” with law enforcement before, and therefore SWAT officers were dispatched to the residence in order to properly handle the escalating situation.

As more units arrived and setup a perimeter around the house, Sadar made it clear that he wasn’t going to surrender on his own.


The aggravated suspect referenced a 2017 incident that he had with law enforcement, shouting, “You’re going to beat me up like they did in Mt. Oliver,” when he reportedly was arrested for resisting arrest and reckless endangerment.

After more than two hours passed with failed attempts to get him to step out of the home and give up, SWAT officers used a flash-bang to stun Sadar and made entry into the home. 

As the officers attempted to take Sadar into custody, he continued to fight, allegedly throwing multiple projectiles at the officers, including a dresser and an air conditioning unit. 

Officials say Sadar “fought, resisted arrest and ignored officers’ commands.”

Eventually one of the officers Tased Sadar, bringing him to the ground and allowing officers to place the suspect under arrest. 

“We found the individual has had prior history of doing this with other police departments,” said Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Wendell Hissrich. “That was another reason that prompted us to make a forcible entry.”

He was transported to the hospital to be treated for minor injuries before being booked into Allegheny County Jail. According to officials, he now faces charges of six counts of aggravated assault as well as one count of resisting arrest. 

“There was a lot of negotiating that was going back and forth between police and the suspect, but at a certain point, it became apparent that it really wasn’t going anywhere,” Hissrich said. “When they felt the individual was becoming agitated, that’s when the decision was made to go in.”

Police say that a small dog who reportedly bit one of the officers during the standoff was removed from the house and turned over to animal control. 

And Sadar’s mother eventually got the medical attention she had originally declined, as emergency crews transported her to a nearby hospital. 

“We resolved this as peacefully as we could with minor injuries to the persons who were involved in the SWAT incident, and the two EMTs. We’re going to say some prayers for them that they make a speedy recovery,” said Pittsburgh police Commander Reyne Kacsuta.

A police officer was reportedly stabbed in the face in Rochester during an altercation with a suspect over reports of criminal mischief this weekend.

Officials stated that the officer that was injured is currently hospitalized with non life-threatening injuries and that the suspect was also taken into custody shortly thereafter. However, this marks the second time in the past four months that a Rochester Police officer was stabbed by a suspect in the line of duty.

On Sunday, the Rochester Police Department dispatched a unit to the scene after a call came in regarding a 20-year-old male engaging in criminal mischief in the neighborhood of Glendale Park late in the afternoon. Officials from the Rochester Police Department stated that after one of the officers arrived at the scene, he was attacked, reportedly being stabbed in the upper body and face from the knife-wielding suspect he encountered.

One of the officers present during the altercation had shot at the male suspect, striking them in the upper body. The unnamed officer was described as a 20-year veteran of the force.

A foot pursuit ensued after the assault on the officer, where the suspect was later apprehended on Dewey Avenue. The officer was taken to the Strong Memorial Hospital and is expected to recover from the encounter. The suspect who sustained the gunshot wound was transported over to the Rochester General Hospital. Police say he is expected to recover.

An investigation is ongoing as to what may have prompted the suspect to launch an attack at responding officers. Rochester Police Chief La’Ron Singletary noted that there’s a press conference that will be held on Monday at 2:00 p.m. regarding the incident and investigation at the Public Safety Building.


Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren released the following statement about the incident:

“Our police officers put themselves at risk every time they put on their uniform. Sadly, today, one of Rochester’s finest was injured while protecting our city. While I am heartened to hear that the injured officer will be released from the hospital and heading home soon, I ask all of our residents to pray for him and his family. I am thankful that no one was more seriously injured in this incident and wish our officer a quick and full recovery.”


The latest stabbing of an officer came just months after another law enforcement official was stabbed several times back in early October in Rochester. When called out to a domestic disturbance on Friday, October 4th, 2019, Officer Denny Wright was attacked by a 28-year-old man toting a knife.

Officer Wright was also a 20-year-veteran to the department, according to Deputy Chief Mark Mura. The officer arrived at a home located on Peck Street to investigate the call at around 11:45 a.m. that morning. The lone officer was then attacked by the suspect, getting stabbed several times in the upper and lower body.

The officer assaulted had fired one round from his weapon during the attack, but had missed the suspect. A local resident, Lydell Weatherspoon, was made aware of the commotion going on in the Peck Street home and helped the officer. When speaking to a local news crew, Weatherspoon described the blood covering the officer inside the home:

“Couldn’t see the officer at all, all you saw was red. That’s how I know he immediately needed help.”

After the intervention of both bystanders and other responding officers, the suspect was taken into custody and transported to a hospital for what was described as an evaluation. Witnesses reported that the suspect had a history of perceived mental illness or issues. Officer Wright was then immediately taken to the Rochester General Hospital where he was listed as being in serious, but stable condition.

After the incident that played out in October, Police Chief Singletary stated that all Rochester Police cars will have two officers in them from there on. The chief noted that officer safety is the number one concern moving forward:

“As Chief, my concern is for the overall well-being of my officers.”

Earlier Monday we reported on the vast number of officers that were injured over the last few days. 

On Sunday in the Swatara Township of Pennsylvania, authorities say a state trooper was struck by a passing vehicle as the trooper was conducting a traffic stop. Reports indicate that the trooper struck sustained non life-threatening injuries, but the suspect behind the wheel is still at large.

Multiple agencies are on the lookout for the hit-and-run suspect.

At approximately 1:00 a.m. on Sunday morning, Trooper Rene Rios was enacting a traffic stop on the I-283 north. While the trooper was heading toward the stopped vehicle, Rios was struck in the left arm by a Jeep passing by, according to reports.


Police noted that Rios was struck by the Jeep’s passenger-side mirror. The driver of the Jeep fled the scene after striking the trooper.

Rios sustained on minor injuries and was treated at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. Police described the vehicle as a dark colored, 2011-2016 Jeep Cherokee which is missing its passenger-side mirror housing. The mirror housing was noted as having a chrome or mirror-like finish by police.

Police are requesting that anyone with information about the suspect or vehicle to please contact PSP Harrisburg at 717-671-7500.

Meanwhile, a sheriff’s deputy from Martin County, Florida is fighting for his life after a crash that occurred early on this past Saturday Morning.

The deputy, who is a 20-year veteran for the Martin County Sheriff’s Office, was off-duty at the time when he was injured while administering aid to the driver in an overturned vehicle.

According to the sheriff, the deputy was severely injured due to another car striking the upturned vehicle while the deputy was attempting to help the occupant inside of it.

Deputy Shawn Green is currently at the Lawnwood Hospital after he stopped to assist a driver who was involved in a rollover crash on SR-714, just after 1:30 a.m. on Saturday. Deputy Green, who was off duty at the time of the crash, stopped along Martin Highway when he noticed the overturned vehicle.

Deputy Shawn Green
Deputy Shawn Green


He immediately contacted dispatch and began to help the driver who was inside of the car.

When a Martin County Sheriff’s Office Indiantown unit had arrived on scene where Deputy Green reported the crash, they’d discovered the deputy laying on the roadway with severe injuries.

Sheriff William Snyder with the Martin county Sheriff’s Office noted that while the deputy may have been off the clock officially, he fulfilled an unspoken duty that comes natural to first responders:

“There is no off-the-clock with law enforcement. If we see something, we have a moral obligation to act and that is exactly what Shawn Green did.”

Unfortunately, that calling to help those in need appears to have resulted in Deputy Green being in critical condition.

A second crash had resulted from the first, which preliminary reports say caused the deputy to be struck by the vehicle in which he was assisting the driver of.

Sheriff Snyder provided some insight on what led the deputy to be injured:

“What it looks like to us is when the second vehicle hit the one that was overturned, it spun the overturned vehicle and hit our deputy. Knocked him about 20 yards.”

Deputy Green was immediately flown to the Lawnwood Hospital and was scheduled for six hours of surgery Sunday.

The driver of the second vehicle that was alleged to have caused the deputy’s injuries was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries. There are currently no reports on the status of the driver that the deputy was initially assisting.

In the meantime, a police officer in Coldwater, Mississippi is recovering after being shot by a 22-year-old suspect during a traffic stop Saturday.

An unidentified officer conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle in what was reported to be a “routine” stop.  While dealing with the driver and occupant of that vehicle, an unrelated green truck pulled up next to him.

For reasons not yet known, the driver of the truck got out and approached the officer while holding a knife.

The officer ordered the driver to put the knife down.  Instead, the driver walked back to his truck and pulled out a shotgun.

The officer moved away from the original traffic stop vehicle as the driver of the truck shot at the officer.  The suspect shot twice at the officer, hitting him once in the head. 


The officer shot back and hit the suspect in the torso area.  The suspect got back into his truck and fled the scene, but crashed into a ditch about a quarter of a mile away.  He was then taken into custody without further incident and was transported to the hospital.

District Attorney John Champion praised the officer, saying:

“He moved to the right and I’m of the opinion, and we’ll know more when we talk to him, that the reason he did this was to get those two people [inside of the traffic stop vehicle] out of potential line of fire.

And there was fire and they were not hurt.  From what it appears to me, is that the officer was a target of opportunity because he [the suspect] saw him on the side of the road.”

“Fate was on his [the officer’s] side, continued Champion.  “That’s all I can say. The good Lord wasn’t ready to take him today because the shots were fired at relatively close range.”

The officer was, thankfully, treated for minor wounds and released from the hospital.


Champion also said, “A lot doesn’t happen here and when you see something of this magnitude happen, it really makes you think no place is safe from things like his happening.  It just gives you a better appreciation of what these officers have to face on a day-to-day basis out there on the street.”

LET has a private home for those who support emergency responders and veterans called LET Unity.  We reinvest the proceeds into sharing untold stories of those patriotic Americans. Click to check it out.

Feds moving to stop passengers from flying with pets as 'emotional support animals'


The suspect is still in the hospital recovering from emergency surgery.  Investigators are hoping he survives so they can attempt to find out the motivation for the attack.

The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation has taken over the officer-involved shooting.

“There really is no routine stop and you have to watch your surroundings, and this the perfect example, it speaks to that,” said Coldwater Police Chief Undra Todd.

No routine stop, indeed.  Even in small towns.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First


Related Posts