Police chief stabbed in the face during a standoff with a criminal on his own property


BONNEAU, SC — A police chief is recovering after being stabbed in the face during a standoff on his own property with a suspect who has been arrested in the past.

According to ABC News 4, Bonneau Police Chief Franco Fuda stated that he was at his home around 10 a.m. when he heard a knock at the door and went outside to meet the suspect, identified as Forrest Bowman.

The chief said the suspect told him that Fuda was “going to die today” before stabbing him below the eye with a metal tool.

Initial reports suggested the weapon was an icepick or screwdriver, but Berkeley County Sheriff Duane Lewis said investigators suspect it may have been a tire repair tool, according to The Post and Courier.

Fuda called for assistance after the attack, and he and State Law Enforcement Division agents tracked the man to a mobile home in the area, Lewis said.

Fuda said Bowman then fled to his mobile home. The SWAT team arrived and ordered Bowman to surrender several times. Chief Deputy Jeremy Baker said sheriff’s officials tried to reason with the man for more than two hours, but he still refused to come out of his home.

Deputies then sent a robot into the suspect’s trailer to get a look inside the home to determine where Bowman was hiding. A short time later, they made entry into the home and brought him out. Authorities said Bowman was found hiding between a mattress and a wall.

Officials said they attempted to negotiate with him and sent in the robot before using gas to take him into custody.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Bowman was arrested shortly after 12:30 p.m. Live 5 News reported a SWAT team was seen bringing the suspect, who was naked and screaming, out of his trailer.

Lewis said investigators are still trying to determine a motive for the attack, but the suspect’s demeanor led them to feel he was on narcotics, according to The Post and Courier. Fuda was at the scene talking with deputies and fellow police officers, his face bloodied from the attack.

Live 5 News said police confirmed Bowman was recently arrested after allegedly threatening the pastor of a nearby church as well as police officers. According to court records, Bowman has been out on bond on charges that he threatened Fuda two years ago, Live 5 News reported.

A woman who knows Bowman, Debbie Hood said:

“I used to feed him at my house, he was a good friend of my sons. I’ve known him since he was a child. But he’s mixed up I guess with the wrong crowd. It’s sad. It’s very sad.”

Hood also said the chief is a “wonderful man” who would do anything to help others.

She added:

“And I thank the Berkeley County Sheriff’s Department for handling it as well as they did.”

Bowman is currently facing charges for assaulting a police officer. The Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office had been called to assist with the incident.

LET recently reported on several stabbings that took place this week.

SAN ANTONIO, TX — A police officer was stabbed in the face when a shoplifting suspect rushed at him with a knife in San Antonio

According to KSAT News, San Antonio Police Department (SAPD) Chief William McManus confirmed that a suspect was dead, and a San Antonio police officer was hospitalized in stable condition after he was stabbed in the face following a shoplifting incident at a Northwest Side H-E-B supermarket.

ABC News reported the suspect was black.

KSAT reported the incident happened around 2:30 p.m., Friday, at an H-E-B store in the 2100 block of Fredericksburg Road. 

San Antonio police officers were first notified of the incident after receiving a call for shoplifting at the store. Upon arrival, the shoplifting suspect was detained by H-E-B security and an off-duty police officer from Floresville, officials said. The suspect was then turned over to San Antonio police.

Chief McManus told ABC News:

“The suspect was standing in front of the police vehicle going through some things in his backpack. I’m not sure what that was about. He stepped to his right out of the view of the COBAN (police dashboard camera system), and a second later he came back, very aggressively and very quickly, and stabbed the officer in the face. It was quite a vicious attack.”

The suspect lunged at the officer with a knife nearly 5 inches long and stabbed him in the face. He then continued to fight the SAPD officer and the off-duty officer from Floresville, according to KSAT.

The stabbed officer was passing in and out of consciousness en route to the hospital because of blood loss, McManus said. He was listed in serious condition at San Antonio Military Medical Center.

Both of the officers fired multiple gunshots at the suspect, and the suspect was pronounced dead at the scene, SAPD said.

The San Antonio officer was taken to the Brooke Army Medical Center in serious condition, and the off-duty Floresville officer was uninjured. An H-E-B employee was also injured in the incident and was taken to another area hospital out of caution, according to store officials.

The information so far is preliminary and the investigation continues, according to McManus.

In another tragic case, we reported about a mother who stabbed her 6-year-old daughter to death because she was angry that her parental rights were terminated in Jacksonville, Florida.

Purkanah Mayo was allegedly distraught over the termination of her parental rights for her 6-year-old daughter, Atarah. The 36-year-old mother reportedly stabbed her daughter multiple times with a kitchen knife before stabbing herself. 

Sadly, the little girl did not survive her injuries, but her mother did. 

Mayo is now being held without bond in the Duval County Jail. She was in court in an orange jumpsuit, which according to sources, indicates she is an inmate who is considered high-risk. Her next appearance is slated for Sept. 21. 

Mayo was taken to the hospital due to her self-inflicted stab wounds. She was released on Friday and promptly arrested, according to News Jax4

The attack took place on Wednesday, Aug. 19. 

Police responded to the address after someone inside the home called 911. After they launched the initial investigation, police would not say how the two were related. They also could not say if they had records of responding to that address for domestic disturbances in the past. 

A GoFundMe was set up by Paige Savitz, who said: 

“I was blessed to have known Atarah. She was a bright young girl, with a contagious smile and a huge heart. Atarah lost her life tragically on August 19, 2020. I am raising money to help her family with funeral expenses and as a Memorial to Atarah. Please keep this family in your prayers.”

It is hard to fathom what would lead a parent to take the life of their own child. It is equally difficult to comprehend what would lead a person to attempt to kill a child, especially in such a violent manner. 

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First


Related Posts