Police: 7 year old boy shot in the head while playing with a toy on the front porch of his home


PHILADELPHIA, PA – A 7-year-old child is now in critical condition following a shooting that happened in Philadelphia on Saturday evening.

Police say that young boy was shot in the head while he was playing on his front porch.

Officials say that the shooting happened at approximately 7:30 p.m. within the 200 block of North Simpson Street. The unidentified 7-year-old victim is currently at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and is said to be in extremely critical condition at this time.

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw dove into what’s known thus far with regard to the events leading up to the boy being shot:

“What we know at this point is that the little boy was sitting on his front porch, playing with a toy, when groups of males were engaged in gunfire and this young 7-year-old was struck in the head by an indiscriminate bullet.”

Reportedly at least 16 shell casings were recovered at the scene of the shooting and one arrest has been made thus far.

Police have not yet recovered a weapon at this time, nor have they released the identity of the suspect in custody. All that he been noted of the arrestee is that he was fleeing on foot from the scene before police apprehended him.

Aaron Morse, a local within the neighborhood where the shooting took place, is saddened by the fact that it’s dangerous for a child to play right outside of his home:

“A 7-year-old little boy can’t play in his own neighborhood. These guys don’t know what they’re doing with these firearms.”

Commissioner Outlaw released a formal statement on the case following the arrest of the suspect:

“An innocent seven-year-old was struck by gunfire and is in grave condition. Although an individual has been taken into custody, that does not diminish the impact this senseless act has on the child, his family, and the entire community.”

The police commissioner also stated that crimes of this magnitude have “no place” in the community, which she followed up with the following:

“While every act of gun violence is lamentable, it is especially tragic when the victim is among our most vulnerable; and it is our collective responsibility – police, and community – to ensure that our children are safe and well-protected.”

This shooting was preceded by two other fatal shootings within the city on August 1st.

Police said that a 34-year-old male was shot six times at approximately 6:30 p.m. within the 2000 block of North Marshall Street. The victim in that case was struck twice in the chest and four times in his left leg. Unfortunately, he passed away 10 minutes after he arrived at Temple University Hospital.

Hours earlier, a 20-year-old male was said to have been shot three times within the 2700 block of Howard Street. That victim was also transported to Temple University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 1:33 p.m. that day.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Young children being shot has become an unsettling trend across cities in the United States recently. 

In Atlanta, Georgia on July 24th, DeKalb County police responded to yet another shooting, this one happened at the Eastwyck Village Apartments just after 3:30pm.  

Police are not releasing much information at this point since it is early in the investigation, but they did say that an eight-year-old child was with a 17-year-old when the shooting occurred. 

The child was struck in the shoulder and the teenager was grazed by a round.  The child was taken to a nearby hospital for medical treatment in what police are calling a “moderate” injury. 

DeKalb County Police Captain A W Ford, according to Fox News, said:

“The eight-year-old prognosis is good.  He’s expected to be released from the hospital.” 

The 17-year-old boy was grazed in the leg.

DeKalb County Police have not released any type of motive for the shooting as of yet, but do not believe that the eight-year-old was the intended target. 

When police were asked if the 17-year-old boy was, Capt. Ford said:

“He may have been.” 

Although no arrests have been made, police have identified someone that they would like to contact and are terming him a “person of interest.”  They are not releasing the name of the person of interest, which could be because they do not want the person to run or because they are awaiting information that would independently identify him or her. 

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts