Police: 33-year-old man fatally shot while shielding daughter from gunfire in gun-controlled Chicago


CHICAGO, IL- According to reports, 33-year-old Travell Miller’s last act before dying in an ambush on the West Side, was shielding his 7-year-old daughter from gunfire, possibly saving her life. 

On Thursday, September 2nd, Miller’s father, Joseph Gilmore, said in a statement:

“He was simply driving his daughter to school. He was talking to his mother [on the phone] as this guy runs up on the car. His mother hears the son say, ‘Dang man, what the (expletive).’ She hears commotion and then hears him say, ‘Mama, Mama, I’ve been shot.'”

According to authorities, Miller had been stopped in traffic around 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, September 1st, in the 3000 block of West Chicago Avenue when the gunman got out of another car, walked up and opened fire. Miller was hit four times and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Gilmore said that a doctor told him that the location of Miller’s wounds show he had bent over to protect his daughter. Gilmore added:

“She’s traumatized. She’s devastated that she watched her father get killed.”

Police have released photos of the suspected attacker and the car he was driving, which was a silver two-door Grand Prix with no plates. Gilmore said:

“I pray that God serves them the same dish they gave my son.”

Detectives are reportedly investigating if the shooting stemmed from road rage. Gilmore said that he and his family have no other idea why Miller would have been targeted, adding that he had no enemies and had just moved to the neighborhood five days earlier.

Miller’s identical twin brother, Lavell Miller said news of his brother’s death has left him feeling “hollow,” adding:

“He wasn’t part of any gang life, criminal life. He wasn’t a troubled man, didn’t have any enemies. He was a brother, a father, a son. He was a partner.”

The brother’s “did everything together,” including moved to Miami, Florida to pursue careers in bartending. Lavell said:

“I introduced him to bartending, but when we did it together, it was ten-times magnified. I have a lot of family, but he was my twin brother. It’s a special bond and it’s a special thing.”

Miller came up with the name, “Bar-twin-ders” to market themselves as a bartending duo. Lavell said:

“I thought that was the right amount of corny.”

Lavell said that COVID made the job impossible in Miami, so they both moved back to Chicago. Lavell added:

“We talked about picking up where we left off. It’s been a financial struggle because of the pandemic. We know finally saw a way to navigate some success through this. We had plans. I was looking forward to us being a team for a very long time.”

Gilmore said that Miller grew up with his family in Maywood and was a star wrestler at Proviso East High School. He studied graphic design and loved video games. Gilmore added:

“All he wanted to do was treat the world like the sandbox it is. He wanted to be the guy who was paid to test video games.”

Miller’s passions adapted as he grew into adulthood and had his first daughter when he was in college. She was given to adopted parents in Minnesota, but he stayed close with her and saw her every year. Lavell said:

“I just want people to know he was a good man. I don’t want him to be just another hashtag or photo on a T-shirt. I want people to know he was a real legacy and that was the most important thing to us – your life resume.”

Miller’s family is pleading for help in finding the suspect who killed their son. Gilmore said:

“That was my boy. That was my son. My first born and I want anybody that was out there to show us some love. You can’t say nobody saw that happened. It was 7:30 on two main streets.”

Police have asked anyone with information on the murder to call detectives or submit a tip anonymously to cpdtip.com.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Little sisters, 6 and 7, among at least 48 shot and six killed over the weekend in gun-controlled Chicago

August 17th, 2021

CHICAGO, IL – Two sisters, ages 6 and 7, were among those shot – one of which fatally – during the weekend spanning from the evening of August 13th through the 15th in Chicago where six victims were killed and at least 48 others were injured in shootings.

A family in Chicago’s northwest side are grieving the loss of their 7-year-old daughter and are praying for their 6-year-old daughter, who is currently fighting for her life at an area hospital, after the pair were shot while sitting inside of a car on August 15th.

Michael Broughton, the girls’ father, said his family had just spent the morning of August 15th at church and had decided to swing by and visit some of their relatives who live within the 6200 block of West Grand Avenue.

Broughton said they had finished up their visit at around 3:00 p.m., which his daughters were already in the car, and they were going to go grab some food and then head home. Then, the shooting happened.

The grieving father said his 7-year-old daughter, Serenity, was shot through the heart during the drive-by:

“They shot her in her heart. She didn’t even get a chance to fight.”

The family’s other daughter, Aubrey, remains hospitalized. Reports indicate she was shot in the chest and right armpit.

One witness to the shooting, identified only as Alberto, described the sounds of the gunfire going off during the incident:

“Like a machine gun going off, like, you know what I mean, like two people shooting at each other or something.”

Broughton is struggling to come to terms with the incident, commenting that he’s not some sort of miscreant that’s out running the streets and causing trouble:

“I’m not no gangbanger. I’m not out here doing the wrong thing. I’m a CTA worker. I’m a bus driver.”

Regina Broughton, the grandmother of the young girls, says she feels “lost” after the shooting, saying that there’s nothing someone can do to ever prepare for an event such as this:

“I’m lost, I’m lost…I mean they were my life, my everything. How do you prepare yourself for something like this? She was a beautiful child. Her spirit was beautiful, innocent, everything about her was innocent.”

The grandmother of the young girls is urging for the responsible parties to come forward:

“Come forth and take responsibility. Whoever sees this, turn them in, it was a child, she didn’t deserve this. If you have any kind of heart, step forward do what you’re supposed to do, and do what a decent human being should do.”

Aubrey is reportedly alert and talking, which Broughton said that he had to share the news with her that her sister was gone:

“I wouldn’t think she understood, but I had to tell her because she was thinking that her sister was in another room and she was going to see her.”

Local community activist Andrew Holmes is offering a $2,000 reward for any information that can lead to an arrest and conviction in the shooting of these young girls. Another community activist, Ja’mal Green, is also offering an additional $5,000 reward in the case.

The fatal shooting of Serenity Broughton was among at least five others fatally shot in Chicago during the same weekend.

The first fatal shooting transpired on August 13th at approximately 5:15 p.m., where an 18-year-old male that was standing along the 5100 block of West Fullerton was shot in the chest, leg, and back by a suspect in a passing vehicle.

Police say that the victim was pronounced dead at the scene and the investigation is ongoing.

Hours later at approximately 8:34 p.m., Illinois State Police said that a shooting that happened on the Eisenhower Expressway near Damen Avenue resulted in three victims being shot, one of who was pronounced deceased at the hospital.

On August 14th at approximately 12:40 p.m., a 59-year-old man was shot while driving along the 1200 block of North Pulaski. Officials say that he was struck in the upper back and right arm and was later pronounced deceased after being taken to Mount Sinai Hospital.

Later that evening at approximately 8:15 p.m., a 25-year-old man was shot while standing on the sidewalk within the 800 block of East 54th Street. Authorities say he was shot in the torso by someone in a white-colored vehicle. The victim was later pronounced deceased after being transferred to the University of Chicago Medical Center.

Slightly before 2:00 a.m. on August 15th, two individuals were shot in the 7500 block of South Street. Lawrence. Of the two individuals shot, authorities say a 33-year-old man was pronounced deceased after being transferred to University of Chicago Medical Center.

Chicago police are actively investigating all of the aforementioned cases, with no reports of suspects being apprehended as of this writing.  

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Suspects arrested in murder of Chicago cop are convicted felons on probation – and now their mom has been arrested

(Originally published August 11th, 2021)

CHICAGO, IL – Two of the three suspects arrested in the murder of Chicago police officer Ella French are convicted felons on probation, and their mother has also been arrested after creating a disturbance at a local  hospital.

As Law Enforcement Today previously reported, Officer Ella French was killed in the line of duty on Saturday, August 7, when she and her partner pulled over a vehicle for expired plates that were not registered to the vehicle.

According to CBSN Chicago, after driver Eric Morgan, 22, ran away from the scene, his brother and passenger Emonte Morgan, 21, began struggling with French and her partner.  

Emonte Morgan fired several shots at both officers, striking them both, then fired at a third officer, who returned fire and shot Emonte Morgan in the abdomen.

Officer French tragically died of her injuries, and her partner continues to fight for his life in the hospital.

According to CWB Chicago, both Morgan brothers are convicted felons on probation.

Emonte Morgan has a robbery conviction on his record. 

This event occurred in August of 2019, when Morgan met a 36-year-old victim to purchase his $900 iPhone.  At the meeting, Morgan took the phone and ran away.

The victim caught Morgan and tackled him, and the pair fought.  A passerby also intervened and helped to detain Morgan until police arrived on the scene.

Morgan was initially charged with felony theft and misdemeanor battery.  In November of 2020, he pled guilty to one count of robbery in exchange for two years probation, which was still in effect at the time he allegedly shot and killed Officer French.

In May of 2021, CWB Chicago also reports, prosecutors also filed a motion for violation of probation “after Morgan allegedly fled the scene of an accident involving injury.”

As for Emonte Morgan’s brother Eric, CWB Chicago notes that he allegedly robbed four people of $180 in Madison, WI in June 2018, and “later pleaded guilty to felony theft, according to court records.”  The New York Post reports that he, too, was on probation at the time of the shooting.

Also according to the New York Post, Emonte Morgan has been charged with “first-degree murder of a peace officer, attempted first-degree murder of a peace officer (two counts), aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, and unlawful use of a weapon by a felon.”

Eric Morgan has been charged with “aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, and obstruction of justice.”

A third suspect, Jamal Danzy, has been charged with federal firearm violations for straw purchasing the weapon Emonte Morgan allegedly used in the murder, and providing it to him.

The Morgan brothers’ mother, 41-year-old Evalena Flores, has also been arrested after she created a disturbance at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where Emonte Morgan is being treated for a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

CBS Chicago reports that Flores “became angry …when she was unable to see her son.”

The New York Daily News adds that she allegedly kicked a hospital security officer in the groin before her arrest.

Livestream video on social media, reportedly streamed by Flores, shows Flores screaming and struggling with officers.


According to Oak Lawn Police, “Flores will be charged with misdemeanor offenses including battery, resisting a peace officer, and criminal trespass to real property.”  She has a court date in September.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Below is our previous reporting on this story:

Two brothers and third suspect captured in murder of Chicago police officer, shooting of second cop

August 10, 2021

CHICAGO, IL – A third suspect has been taken into custody in connection with the fatal shooting of one Chicago Police officer and non-fatal shooting of another earlier in August, with officials identifying the officer that was killed while conducting a traffic stop.

Two suspects have been charged, and a third is not charged due to lacking evidence, regarding the fatal shooting of 29-year-old Chicago Police Officer Ella French and the non-fatal shooting of her partner that occurred on August 7th.

Officials have confirmed that 21-year-old Emonte Morgan has been charged with first degree murder, attempted first degree murder, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, and unlawful use of a weapon by a felon.

The second suspect charged in the incident was identified as 22-year-old Eric Morgan, who was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, and obstruction of justice.

Both Emonte and Eric Morgan, who are brothers, are slated to appear in court on August 10th for their respective bail hearings.

One of the two Morgan brothers were shot during the incident and was last stated as being stable after being transported to the Christ Hospital.

According to officials, the original traffic stop that preceded the shooting was merely over expired plates on the suspect’s vehicle.

The third suspect, who was only identified as a female passenger inside of the vehicle with the two suspects during the incident on August 7th, has not been charged due to officials citing lacking evidence of criminal culpability in the shooting of the officers.  

Chicago police Supt. David Brown noted that investigators are focused on the Morgan brothers for Officer French’s killing and the injury of her partner, saying:

“There’s one reason that this happened. One reason. These two offenders killed Ella French and tried to kill [the second and third officer] there. That’s the only person we’re pointing the finger at today. I won’t entertain finger-pointing at anyone or anything else. They need to be fully held accountable for her murder.”

However, federal prosecutors have charged another individual who allegedly purchased the weapon that was used during the incident that killed Officer French and wounded her partner.

On August 9th, federal prosecutors charged 29-year-old Jamel Danzy for reportedly buying the gun used during the August 7th incident in Hammond, Indiana, in March and then later providing that weapon to an individual in Illinois that Danzy knew could not buy or possess a firearm.

The Chicago’s U.S. attorney’s office confirmed that the weapon connected to Danzy was recovered from the scene where Officer French was killed, and her partner was severely injured.

Danzy appeared in federal court on August 9th under charges of conspiracy to violate federal firearm laws, knowingly transferring a firearm to an out-of-state resident and knowingly disposing of a firearm to a convicted felon.

While Danzy may not have been the trigger-man, he could be facing up to five years in federal prison for the charges he’s facing.

U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois, John R. Lausch, Jr., stated the following about the case against Danzy:

“Straw purchasers and firearm traffickers enable violence with deadly consequences. Fighting violent crime is a top priority in our office, and we are committed to holding accountable those who engage in illicit firearm transactions.”

Special Agent-in-Charge of the Chicago Field Division of the ATF, Kristen de Tineo, made the following statement regarding the matter:

“Tragedies like this happen when people straw purchase firearms on behalf of those who are prohibited from purchasing and possessing firearms themselves. ATF remains committed to working with our law enforcement partners and the U.S. Attorney’s Office to investigate these firearms trafficking schemes and prosecute those responsible.”

This is an ongoing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this developing case.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts