As border crossings surge, Pentagon approves third military base to house unaccompanied minor children

Share:

ARLINGTON, VA – Even as the Biden administration continues to downplay the immigration crisis at the border, the Pentagon has confirmed that a third military base will now be utilized to house unaccompanied migrant children.

According to Fox News, Health and Human Services recently requested the use of Camp Roberts in California, which is located approximately 250 miles northwest of Los Angeles and halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

A defense official told Fox:

“On April 2, the Department of Defense approved a request for assistance from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) for facilities and land to temporarily house unaccompanied children at Camp Roberts, California.”

The official continued:

“This support is being provided on a fully-reimbursable basis.”

Assuring that this move should not affect military preparedness, the official added:

“DoD only provides this kind of support where it has no impact on military readiness and its ability to conduct its primary missions.”

The official referred questions as to the number of children and manner of their housing back to Health and Human Services, which has not provided such information at this time.

Camp Roberts will be the third military base utilized this year to house migrant children.

Two additional housing sites are Joint Base San Antonio and Fort Bliss in El Paso, TX.  Pentagon chief spokesman John Kirby has declined to report how many children will be staying at those two military bases.

Although the Biden administration denies that there is an ongoing immigration crisis, the numbers say otherwise.

As we previously reported, former Customs and Border Protection chief Mark Morgan has recently noted that more than 45,000 border crossers and illegal immigrants have been released into the interior of the United States.

In addition, Morgan stated that approximately 1,000 border crossers are successfully entering the United States illegally on a daily basis.

According to the Washington Post, the numbers of immigrants crossing the border are the highest  seen in at least 15 years, with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) statistics showing that more than 171,000 immigrants were taken into custody in March 2021 alone, a significant increase over February’s already impressive count of 100,000.

Immigrants as part of family groups have skyrocketed to 53,000 in March, a notable increase over 19,246 in February and 7,294 in January.

As for minor immigrants, the Post reports that CBP took in over 18,800 unaccompanied minors in March, which represented a 99 percent increase over February.  Previously, the highest number taken in was 11,861 unaccompanied minors, in March of 2019.

Presently there are over 13,000 children in the custody of HHS, and over 5,000 in the custody of CBP.

Notably, an anonymous senior official with CBP told Fox in mid-March that the minors are “entering federal custody far faster than they are leaving it, creating an unsustainable backlog.”

According to Fox News, CBP has estimated that 184,000 unaccompanied minor immigrants could cross the border during the 2021 fiscal year.

CBS News has reported that thousands of unaccompanied minor immigrants are “stranded in Border Patrol facilities not designed for long-term custody.”

Those who have been released from CBP facilities have been housed in emergency housing facilities and shelters licensed by states to care for minors.   Because of the vast numbers of children to be housed, the Refugee Division of HHS has also had to open “makeshift housing facilities to get children out of Border Patrol custody.”

As of March 21, according to CBS, the Biden administration had opened four such facilities.

The Biden administration has also looked at additional avenues besides makeshift shelters and military bases for housing unaccompanied minor immigrants.

After a request from Health and Human Services, the City of San Diego agreed to use its convention center as a “temporary shelter” for unaccompanied minors up to the age of 17.

According to the city, the site is to be used for “approximately three months,” with stays to average 30-35 days while minors await reunification with families or sponsors.  The children are to be provided with “food, medical care, a place to sleep and showers.”

Funding for the convention center shelter is to come from the Department of Health and Human Services Refugee Resettlement Program, the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Given the continued and unabated influx of unaccompanied minors into the United States, it is easy to be skeptical about the stated “temporary” status of military bases, makeshift shelters, or repurposed public buildings as housing for immigrant children.  The continuing border crisis will undoubtedly continue to add large numbers of unaccompanied minor immigrants to federal custody.

Noting Biden’s continued denial of the urgent situation at the border, former CBP Commissioner Mark Morgan and Heritage senior research fellow Lora Ries said in a statement:

“We have a crisis on the border, even though the Biden administration still refuses to acknowledge it.” 

They added:

“Today’s numbers are just more evidence of this undeniable reality – and proof that President Biden’s policies are driving this crisis.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Former CBP chief: Biden administration has released more than 45K illegal immigrants into U.S, a near 56,000% jump

WASHINGTON, D.C.– Former Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Chief Mark Morgan said that President Joe Biden’s administration has released more than 45,000 border crossers and illegal immigrants into the United States interior.

According to reports, the Biden administration restarted the “Catch and Release” program, which means that border crossers are apprehended and them promptly released into the U.S. interior.

For context, the current totals indicate that the Biden administration has released a foreign population into the U.S. via the southern border that exceeds the resident population of Burlington, Vermont.

Because of Biden’s “sanctuary country” orders, after their release, border crossers as well as illegal immigrants with deportation orders, can only be deported if they are convicted of an aggravated felony, are a terrorist, or are a known gang member.

During a press conference with House Republicans at the southern border, Morgan said that internal Department of Homeland Security (DHS) data shows that the Biden administration has released more than 45,000 border crossers into the U.S. interior.

He added:

“Right now, if you’re an unaccompanied minor in Mexico, you’re being released into the interior of the United States. If you’re a family from the western hemisphere, right now, you are being released into the interior of the United States.”

He continued:

“If you were once enrolled in the ‘Remain in Mexico’ program, you are now being brought to our border and released into the interior of the United States. The border is wide open and it’s not monitored.”

Morgan also said that internal DHS data predicts that an estimated 1.4 million border crossers will be apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border this year, which is a foreign population larger than the resident population of Dallas, Texas.

He added that in addition to those numbers, about 1,000 border crossers are successfully illegally entering the U.S. every day, going undetected by federal immigration officials. In one month, this equates to 30,000 illegal immigrants successfully thwarting federal immigration officials.

Forming Acting Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Director Thomas Homan said that the restart of Catch and Release along with Biden’s sanctuary country orders preventing most deportations is “done by design.”

He added:

“This isn’t incompetence. This isn’t they don’t know what they’re doing. They know how to stop it. They’re doing the complete opposite.”

Morgan said that he and other Trump administration officials warned Biden’s transition team that by ending the Remain in Mexico program, by canceling U.S. asylum agreements with Central America, and by end the Centers for Disease Control’s Title 42 order, a surge of illegal immigration to the U.S. would be inevitable.

Morgan said:

“We specifically told them, if you ended Remain in Mexico, if you ended Title 42, if you ended the asylum cooperative agreements with the Northern Triangle countries, you will cause, you will drive an unmitigated crisis that will make 2019 pale in comparison.”

He added:

“We told them that again and again. We told them that the surge numbers would skyrocket.”

From March 1st to March 22nd, alone Biden’s DHS released nearly 15,600 border crossers into the U.S. interior. DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas has suggested that border crossers receive COVID-19 testing before their release, however, the agency has yet to confirm any such testing and quarantine requirements.

In the final full three months of the Trump administration, DHS released just 42 border crossers into the U.S. interior. Compare that to Biden’s rate, a nearly 56,000 percent increase in the Catch and Release program. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Share:
Related Posts